Hoyer Remarks at Press Conference Calling for GOP to Avert the Sequester
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 15, 2013
"Two weeks from today, if Congress fails to act, the Republican policy -- the Republican policy -- of sequestration will take effect. Sequestration is a dangerous and irrational policy, or, as Leader Pelosi said, cutting across the board without reference to priority level. It will have devastating effects on our national security and economic recovery. Thousands of Americans will lose their jobs or be furloughed, including teachers, researchers, law enforcement agents, military contractors.
"Everyone should be clear that sequestration is a Republican policy, and it is a bad policy. On July 19, 2011, 229 Republicans, that's 98% of their caucus, voted for the 'Cut, Cap, and Balance' bill that employed the irrational approach of sequestration as an alternative to cutting spending in a rational and balanced way. So when the American people hear this is something that President Obama wanted to do, they ought to know that's not true, period. This is a Republican policy, included in their bill that they offered July 11, 2011, before there was any discussion between Mr. Obama and Mr. Boehner to avoid the debt limit being violated and having America's credit undermined. That's when it was brought up, because it was Republican policy, and maybe that was part of a compromise which it ended up being.
"Two hundred and twenty two Republicans voted today, again, as the Leader has pointed out, 96% of the caucus, to go home -- to go home for a week without a way to turn off the sequester. They are once again walking away from the American people. You may remember when unemployment insurance was at risk, I said they were walking away from 6 million people. They walked away from middle-class tax cuts.
"I assume that when they say this, in advertising their adjournment resolution, they called it 'Rules Resolution Prohibiting Democratic Grandstanding on the House Floor.' Not only would they not put Mr. Van Hollen's legislation on the Floor two weeks ago, not only would they not put it on the Floor this week, they won't even open the Floor to discussion to the representatives of the American people. I assume that 'grandstanding' they are referring to is when we demanded that they address unemployment insurance and prevent a middle-class tax increase.
"Republicans would have us return to our districts with nothing to show our constituents, notwithstanding the fact we have been here for six weeks this year, who are deeply concerned about how the sequester will make their lives more difficult and their communities less safe. Our country less safe, and our communities less safe as a result of sequester. That would be extremely irresponsible, and we are urging them to stay and keep the House in session. We are calling on them to stay and work with us in pursuit of a balanced solution, to which Mr. Van Hollen will address.
"Yesterday Senate Democrats offered an alternative plan that is balanced and will turn off the sequester. If Nancy Pelosi were the Speaker of this House, and I were the Majority Leader of this House, sequester would not happen. Representative Chris Van Hollen of the Budget Committee offered an alternative as well, as I said. Speaker Boehner and Leader Cantor ought to allow it to come to the Floor - they have not yet.
"Unfortunately, the Majority is under the influence of a faction of radical rejecters of common sense. The American people ought to send us a message, and to House Republicans: 'no deal, no break.'"
Standard YouTube License
- 43:07 House Democratic Leaders on Sequester Crisis- No Deal, No Breakby LeaderHoyer252 views
- 7:10 Hoyer: The Sequester's Furloughs Are Undermining National Securityby LeaderHoyer308 views
- 3:00 Hoyer: We Ought To Be Mitigating The Whole Impact Of The Sequesterby LeaderHoyer884 views
- 3:27 Hoyer: With Sequester Looming, Republicans Instead Target Federal Employeesby LeaderHoyer632 views
- 8:52 Pelosi embarrassed?by FinancialTraffic23,256 views
- 10:43 Dennis Miller-special Nancy Pelosiby analogueproductions110,323 views
- 10:32 Al Franken Explains A Few Things To Senator Thuneby Guy Guyguy5,073 views
- 9:52 WATCH Judge Jeanine Nuke Nancy Pelosi's "Brilliant" Obamaby 68Truthseeker48,434 views
- 7:50 Shocker! A real Senate debateby CNNMoney4,981 views
- 6:31 Pelosi taken apart by David Gregory on false Obamacare promisesby Washington Free Beacon336,064 views
- 1:29:45 "SHUT UP!" Bill O'Reilly's Heated Feud with Al Franken featuring Molly Ivins (2003)by The Film Archive555 views
- 2:40 Highlights from The Blithering Idiot.by cablenewsguy20,368 views
- 8:17 Chairman Murray Urges Support for a Balanced and Fair Sequester Replacementby SenateBudget142 views
- 1:39 Senator Elizabeth Warren and Congressman Mike Capuano (MA) Fight Sequester Cutsby Marie Marr622 views
- 15:01 Infamous Debate between Bill O'Reilly and Al Franken (Incl. Molly Ivins) 2/6by AustralianNeoCon211,939 views
- 4:00 Al Franken Smacks Down Hans von Spakovsky Over Flawed Voter ID Statsby tpmtv17,064 views
- 20:49 Sequester Deadline Republicans Want Focus on Spending Cut Debate 'This Week' Roundtableby TheMandyNews126 views
- 15:01 Infamous Debate between Bill O'Reilly and Al Franken (Incl. Molly Ivins) 3/6by AustralianNeoCon27,376 views
- 11:35 Chris Rock Goes CRAZY! Glenn Beck w/ Jason Mattera & "Hollywood Hypocrites" the Bookby GlennBeckBookList14,612 views
- 49:51 Conversation with Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, & Jewel Staite - Nerd HQ (2011) HD - Zachary Leviby The Nerd Machine84,687 views
- Loading more suggestions...