The Truth About GOP Hero Ayn Rand
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 18, 2011
A film adaptation of the 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand, opened this past Friday. The release of the film has coincided with a resurgence of popularity for Rand on the American Right. The trailer for Atlas Shrugged had its world premier at this year's CPAC conference, the Tea Party group FreedomWorks has rolled out a massive campaign to promote the film, and the story's opening line — "Who is John Galt" — has appeared on numerous signs at Tea Party rallies.
At the same time, some of the right's leading political and media lights have heaped praise upon Rand. The author of the Republicans' new budget plan to gut Medicare and Medicaid, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), has said Rand is the reason he entered politics. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) have both declared themselves devotees of her writing. Conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has his law clerks watch the film adaptation of Rand's book The Fountainhead. She's also received accolades from right-wing pundits Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, John Stossel, and Andrew Napolitano.
During her lifetime, Rand advocated "the virtue of selfishness," declared altruism to be "evil," opposed Medicare and all forms of government support for the middle-class and the poor, and condemned Christianity for advocating love and compassion for the less fortunate:
Rand also dismissed the feminist movement as a "false" and "phony" issue, said a female commander in chief would be "unspeakable," characterized Arabs as "almost totally primitive savages," and called government efforts to aid the handicapped and educate "subnormal children" an attempt to "bring everybody to the level of the handicapped."
As for the new Atlas Shrugged film, it made $1.7 million in its first three days in theaters, reasonable but unspectacular numbers for a limited release on 299 screens. But box-office watchers looking to see if the Tea Party represents a discrete market would have been disappointed. The movie grossed just $5,608 per theater over that time period, hardly a sign that groups were buying out theaters or that the movie was a pop culture phenomenon. By contrast, An Inconvenient Truth took in $70,333 per theater during its first five days on screens. That number fell to $17,615 per theater in its second week, but that number is still higher than Atlas Shrugged's more widely-available debut. And Atlas Shrugged's numbers look positively puny next to another culture-war adaptation of a popular book, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, which raked in $125,185,971 over its first five days in theaters.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:48 AYN RAND PREDICTS OBAMAS END TO THE REPUBLICby koch46's channelFeatured 139,622
- 2:48 Hitchens Destroys the Cult of Ayn Randby DefenceSpeech 654,085 views
- 0:33 Ayn Rand on Homosexualityby Prosumption 123,861 views
- 13:25 AYN RAND ON JOHNNY CARSON part 1 of 2by warpicachu 80,871 views
- 3:21 Christopher Hitchens Destroys Biblical miracle claimsby thedailyzack 842,529 views
- 2:36 Christopher Hitchens Dispels Ronald Reagan Greatness Myths(1996)by CEHitchens33 150,075 views
- 5:34 Christopher Hitchens Leaves Opponent Speechlessby XpaleblueX 459,939 views
- 0:53 Brad Pitt on Religionby wimsweden 761,776 views
- 9:13 Morning Joe: Christopher Hitchens on Afghanistan 10/06/08by Derfglouglou 50,759 views
- Ayn Rand 3,861 videos287
- 9:56 Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (1/5)by The Reliquary 149,355 views
- 4:41 Penn Jillette: Why I Am A Libertarianby Libertarianism.org 124,533 views
- 1:11 53 seconds that should end a presidencyby Gary L Bauer 6,125,731 views
- 5:21 Chomsky refutes "libertarian" "anarcho"- capitalismby mr1001nights's channel 166,164 views
- 5:50 Bill Oreilly Panics After Ron Paul Brings Up 1953 Iran Coup by US and UK.flvby brambarend 1,884,985 views
- 9:49 John Galt's Speech from 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Randby AudibleSuperfan's channel 73,453 views
- 7:54 Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 1 of 5by Jose Marabotto 502,324 views
- 1:18 William Buckley Loses it against Chomskyby MetrazolElectricity 262,298 views
- 10:03 Thom Hartmann: Atlas Shrugged - bizarre philosophy at workby The Big Picture on RT 14,423 views
- 10:01 Ayn Rand - Racismby LibertyPen 58,870 views
- 1:47 Funny creationist responseby ikkuj 113,385 views
- Loading more suggestions...