Tom Platz: 23 Reps @ ~ 525lb / 238kg Squat
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 1, 2012
Tom Platz 23 rep squat extravaganza during a competition with Fred Hatfield (Dr. Squat) at FIBO in Germany around 1993 - At which time Fred Hatfield may have been 51 years of age - awesome retention of fitness and drive.
One source says:
"The Golden Eagle (Tom Platz) got beat soundly (600 to 840) in maximum weight lifted. Both men weighed in at 198 pounds."
"On the flip side, when it came time for the reps contest, Dr.Squat got his butt whipped. The Golden Eagle performed 23 reps with 525 pounds to Dr.Squat's 11 reps."
And the exact numbers may never be known - except for the 23 reps seen here.
When these videos first appeared many years back, 500lb was always quoted. But now the range varies dependant upon source e.g. 505lb, 525lb, 539lb, even 590lb.
Similarly where the opening quote says:
(1) Tom Platz went down 600lb to Fred Hatfields 840lb max squat. It has been stated elsewhere that it was in fact 765lb to 855lb.
(2) Where it states Fred Hatfield stopped at 11 reps in the lighter squats, the number discussed reaches 13.
Tom Platz began his competitive bodybuilding career in the 1973 Mr. Adonis competition. He competed as an amateur until he won the 1978 World Amateur Championships middleweight division. In 1978 he moved to California. He arrived there with $50, a plane ticket, and a dream to win Mr. Olympia. For the following nine years Platz competed as a pro aiming for the most prestigious bodybuilding title there is, Mr. Olympia. Though Platz never took first at the Olympia he had a string of top ten finishes, with a third position in 1981 being the best.
Platz became famous for his remarkable leg development. He developed a high intensity, high volume method of leg training, which led to his unparalleled size and definition for his time. Regardless of what was found lacking elsewhere, it is still widely claimed in bodybuilding circles that Platz holds the mark for the best legs in bodybuilding of his time and some of the best legs in bodybuilding ever. Flex readers agree: In a "best bodyparts of the 20th century" poll, Platz was deemed to have the best quads and hamstrings of all time.
Tom Platz retired from professional bodybuilding competition in 1987 and did a 'Comeback' in 1995 when he was awarded Honorary Mr. America. He still promotes the sport wholeheartedly. Tom says, "I just want to give back to the sport I love which has been really great to me." He played the part of "Body Builder" in the 1990 film Book of Love. His character portrayed the Charles Atlas-like character from those "tired of bullies kicking sand in your face and stealing your girlfriend" type of advertisements that were in a lot of comic books during the 50's and 60's.
Tom Platz was and is one of the most sought after guest speakers in the world of bodybuilding, nutrition and general fitness. He is currently a Professor and Director of Bodybuilding Sciences at ISSA. Tom has a Masters in Fitness Science, Bachelors in Science Physiology and Nutrition from Wayne State University and Michigan State University, and a Masters in Business Administration from the University of California.
Business Development Manager,
Network Engineer & Social Marketing Manager
JR Accounting Compass
Information Technology and Services
Standard YouTube License
- 7:51 Overtraining: Mike Rashid ft. CT Fletcher - Squat Progressionby Mike Rashid Featured 264,169
- 5:34 Tom Platz squat Gold's Gymby neandertalensis6631,876 views
- 3:29 Tom Platz at Gold's gym posing with Lou Ferrignoby neandertalensis6621,610 views
- 1:06:41 Battle For Gold 1988by HITstrongman152,489 views
- 7:35 1984Mr Olympiaby JoJo Ntiforo63,894 views
- 6:47 Tom Platz interview, workout and posing (1984) Bodybuildingby Chris Guinn35,381 views
- 4 videos Play all Dr. Squat-Powerlifting Legend: Dr. Fred Hatfieldby MrJosephlynch
- 5:01 A DAY IN THE LIFE OF FLEX WHEELER - BACK DAYby Flex Wheeler367,346 views
- 2:35 Tom Platz back training at Gold's gymby neandertalensis6613,510 views
- 4:58 Dan Osman's fatal jump Nov 23,1998by Robair Robairlb1,964,747 views
- 3:28 freakiest legs - best quads - best hams - Tom Platz vs. Jose Raymon vs. Branch Warren KARL ESSby fitnessforlifetv182,218 views
- 11:47 Antoine Vaillant High Intensity Leg Trainingby Bodybuilding Movies98,651 views
- 3:23 Donnie Thompson squats 1300lbs (progression)by Jeff Goergen502,805 views
- 36:29 Joe Weider's Bodybuilding Training System: Tape 7 - Mass & Strength Trainingby bonehead070213,151 views
- 3:11 tom platz mr olympia 1983) .flv.flvby quloub1153,101 views
- 14:34 Fred Hatfield (Dr Squat) Presents - HEAVY IRON - Part One - Powerlifting Training Video Part 1by Joseph Lynch9,226 views
- 2:18 Bodybuilder Lee Priest Talks about Training Legs with Tom Platzby Sam's Fitness59,163 views
- 15:00 1980 World Series of Powerlifting part 1/3by HITstrongman30,865 views
- 2:33 Tom Platz At The Officeby Fit4Sale18,338 views
- 14:51 Fred Hatfield (Dr Squat) Presents - HEAVY IRON - Part Two - Powerlifting Training Video Part 2by Joseph Lynch4,558 views