The Real "Truth About the Economy:" Have Wages Stagnated?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 31, 2012
Prof. Don Boudreaux responds to "The Truth About the Economy" (http://lrnlbty.co/z0ACuH), a recent video featuring former Labor Secretary Robert Reich. In the video, one of Reich's key points is that most people's wages have barely increased since 1980. However, when Reich's numbers are examined in greater detail, his claim does not hold up. If you care about this issue, there are three things to consider:
1. How inflation is calculated
2. Benefits workers receive other than wages
3. The distinction between statistics and individuals
Adjusting for inflation, especially over long periods of time, is as much an art as it is a science. In an attempt to measure inflation, economists have developed several indexes. All of these indexes are considered legitimate, but all of them yield different results. In "The Truth About the Economy" video, Robert Reich uses the consumer price index (CPI) to calculate the average hourly wage, and he finds that wages haven't risen much over the past 30 years. However, when using other methods of adjusting for inflation, which are no less respected, the average hourly wage rate rises as much at 18% over the same 30 year period.
Index differences aside, everyone agrees that all forms of compensation must be considered to accurately calculate worker's compensation. This includes not only wages and salaries, but also benefits like health insurance, retirement benefits, vacation days, sick pay, and more. It's worth noting that fringe benefits have become a larger share of income over the past 30 years. According to Don Boudreaux's calculations, which include fringe benefits, average hourly wages have increased up to 26% over the past 30 years.
Lastly, and most importantly, Robert Reich confuses statistical categories with real people. When Reich says that, since 1980, most people's wages have barely increased, he gives the impression that most people have enjoyed no economic gains over the past three decades. What he means is that, adjusting for inflation, average wages have not increased. The real flesh and blood people within these statistical categories have actually experienced increased compensation. Some workers are gaining skills, others are retiring, and others are joining the workforce for the first time. Especially noteworthy is the increasing rate at which women and immigrants have entered the workforce in the past 30 years.
To Boudreaux, Reich is right to claim that a strong economy needs a strong middle class. However, taxing the rich, as Reich suggests, is not the path to a strong middle class. The path to a strong economy and a strong middle class requires the hard work and great entrepreneurial ideas of individual people acting in a free market.
Watch more videos: http://lrnlbty.co/y5tTcY
Standard YouTube License
- 5:00 The Truth About the Economy, The Critiqueby How The World WorksFeatured 57,565
- 3:32 Is the Cost of Living Really Rising?by LearnLiberty.org 126,303 views
- 3:27 Are the Poor Getting Poorer?by LearnLiberty 228,921 views
- 4:29 Does the Minimum Wage Hurt Workers?by LearnLiberty.org 117,622 views
- 1:05 Occupy Wall Street and Student Loansby LearnLiberty.org 116,087 views
- 4:49 Who favors more freedom, liberals or conservatives?by LearnLiberty.org 61,241 views
- 2:40 What You Should Know About Drug Prohibitionby LearnLiberty.org 192,111 views
- 3:37 How Cronyism is Hurting the Economyby LearnLiberty.org 74,576 views
- 3:28 Top Three Common Myths of Capitalismby LearnLiberty.org 425,926 views
- 4:00 Do Women Earn Less than Men?by LearnLiberty.org 579,804 views
- 3:04 3 Absurd Reasons for Banning Drugsby LearnLiberty.org 203,153 views
- 3:03 Social Cooperation: Why Thieves Hate Free Marketsby LearnLiberty 1,342,589 views
- 50:08 Myth of the Rational Voterby LearnLiberty 18,256 views
- 5:13 Top 3 Ways Sweatshops Help The Poor Escape Povertyby LearnLiberty.org 117,150 views
- 3:17 Why Not Print More Money?by LearnLiberty.org 118,554 views
- 9:22 Why Libertarianism Is Wrongby Debunkers R Us 69,032 views
- 2:21 Top Three Myths about Immigrationby LearnLiberty.org 220,328 views
- 10:03 The Truth About Robert Reichby Robert Murphy 61,546 views
- 3:20 Tragedy of The Commonsby LearnLiberty.org 150,186 views
- 3:01 Equality & Respect: How I'm Equal to Hugh Jackmanby LearnLiberty.org 354,283 views
- Loading more suggestions...