Leonard Nimoy demonstrates Magnavision LaserDisc Player
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2011
This is the demonstration video advertising the Magnavox Magnavision VH-8000 Laser Video Disc Player, featuring Leonard Nimoy.
Additional tidbit: the Philips VLP-600 and VLP-700, sold in Europe as the very first consumer LaserDisc players there, were based on the Magnavox VH-8000 and VH-8005, respectively.
The video has been taken from the original LaserDisc, played on a Pioneer LD-660 LaserDisc Player. Video output was CVBS (composite). This video was captured using a Dell video capture device on a Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP. MediaPortal was the software used to perform the video capture. A conversion utility was employed to remux the DVR-MS file into a proper MPEG2 file. The MPEG2 file is then transferred to my MacBook Pro where, with the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 playback component and MPEG Streamclip, the MPEG2 file is deinterlaced, scaled from 720x480 to 640x480, and transcoded into an MEPG4 H.264 file.
This video made with Windows/made on a Mac.
This is, perhaps, one credit that Leonard Nimoy would probably like to forget about.
As spokesman for Magnavox, Leonard Nimoy demonstrates the first consumer LaserDisc player made, the Magnavox VH-8000 Magnavision. He is introduced to and guided through this product by a blinking, beeping rock. How's that for embarrassment?
Unfortunately for Magnavox, the VH-8000 was well known for its terrible reliability and would later be outclassed by the first consumer grade LaserDisc player from a Japanese competitor, the Pioneer VP-1000. (The first ever production LaserDisc player was the commercial/industrial PR-7820, which was designed by MCA DiscoVision and manufactured by Pioneer.)
Although the Magnavision debuted in 1978, this video was made in 1981, which was about a year after Pioneer introduced their VP-1000 in 1980.
Magnavox revised this model by adding a remote control and calling it the VH-8005. But, Pioneer still had them beat as the VH-8005 was still the VH-8000, flaws and all.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Take A Chance On Me" on
- 7:06 Top 10 Worst Video Game Consolesby WatchMojo.com Featured 934,048
- 10:50 Laserdisc - Pioneer Demo with Mr. Wizard and Patrick O'Neal (1980)by TheAisleSeatCom9,441 views
- 10:55 Leonard Nimoy and William Shatnerby frow940558,229 views
- 8:51 Leonard Nimoy Laserdisc Demo (2 of 3) BEST QUALITYby TheAisleSeatCom2,637 views
- 10:32 Leonard Nimoy Laserdisc Demo (1 of 3) BEST QUALITYby TheAisleSeatCom32,283 views
- 7:26 Leonard Nimoy on "What's My Line?"by garrisonskunk93,639 views
- 8:58 RCA Selectavision Videodisc Production Tour PT1by databits .11,744 views
- 10:43 An interview of Leonard Nimoy-SuperstarSuperfans part1/2by ribbonrain15,846 views
- 3 videos Play all Leonard Nimoy Laserdiscby cyberbytli
- 8:27 WORLD'S FIRST: Laser Video Disc Player made in 1982by mkkiani41,396 views
- 10:53 Siskel And Ebert : The Difference Between VHS And Laserdiscby Fisher Rachel5,292 views
- 10:45 Pioneer LaserDisc - How It Works with Don "Mr. Wizard" Herbertby Watcher32234,447 views
- 9:39 Leonard Nimoy's STAR TREK Memories Part Twoby ENTERPRISENX0166,054 views
- 30:13 1982 Magnavox laserdisc demoby eyeh8nbc12,514 views
- 11:50 Life Beyond Trek Leonard Nimoyby AstonisherVision12,764 views
- 2:57 Leonard Nimoy on Shatner's Raw Nerveby WilliamShatner438,126 views
- 18:40 Pioneer LaserDisc - What It Is with Patrick O'Nealby Watcher32235,451 views
- 9:50 Laser Disk Interactive (1985)by ckmogo44,210 views
- 1:55 The Last Laserdisc: Are LaserDisc Players the way of the future? (1992)by Scott Simpson109,561 views
- 8:51 Shatner Nimoy Panel part 1- Dragon*Con 2009by WhatJaneSays73,346 views