Leonard Nimoy demonstrates Magnavision LaserDisc Player
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2011
This is the demonstration video advertising the Magnavox Magnavision VH-8000 Laser Video Disc Player, featuring Leonard Nimoy.
Additional tidbit: the Philips VLP-600 and VLP-700, sold in Europe as the very first consumer LaserDisc players there, were based on the Magnavox VH-8000 and VH-8005, respectively.
The video has been taken from the original LaserDisc, played on a Pioneer LD-660 LaserDisc Player. Video output was CVBS (composite). This video was captured using a Dell video capture device on a Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP. MediaPortal was the software used to perform the video capture. A conversion utility was employed to remux the DVR-MS file into a proper MPEG2 file. The MPEG2 file is then transferred to my MacBook Pro where, with the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 playback component and MPEG Streamclip, the MPEG2 file is deinterlaced, scaled from 720x480 to 640x480, and transcoded into an MEPG4 H.264 file.
This video made with Windows/made on a Mac.
This is, perhaps, one credit that Leonard Nimoy would probably like to forget about.
As spokesman for Magnavox, Leonard Nimoy demonstrates the first consumer LaserDisc player made, the Magnavox VH-8000 Magnavision. He is introduced to and guided through this product by a blinking, beeping rock. How's that for embarrassment?
Unfortunately for Magnavox, the VH-8000 was well known for its terrible reliability and would later be outclassed by the first consumer grade LaserDisc player from a Japanese competitor, the Pioneer VP-1000. (The first ever production LaserDisc player was the commercial/industrial PR-7820, which was designed by MCA DiscoVision and manufactured by Pioneer.)
Although the Magnavision debuted in 1978, this video was made in 1981, which was about a year after Pioneer introduced their VP-1000 in 1980.
Magnavox revised this model by adding a remote control and calling it the VH-8005. But, Pioneer still had them beat as the VH-8005 was still the VH-8000, flaws and all.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Take a Chance On Me" on
- 15:49 Leonard Nimoy does a William Shatner Impression on Hero Complex: The Show - Part 2by Nerdist ChannelFeatured 228,087
- 7:26 Leonard Nimoy on "What's My Line?"by garrisonskunk's channel 72,110 views
- 3:22 Leonard Nimoy's Cameo on The Big Bang Theoryby Akshayk26's channel 186,167 views
- 10:55 Leonard Nimoy and William Shatnerby frow9405 46,262 views
- 23:44 Steve Wozniak, with special guest Leonard Nimoy at DEMO Enterprise Disruption 2012by democonf 11,346 views
- LaserDisc 3,750 videos24
- 2:57 Leonard Nimoy on Shatner's Raw Nerveby THE SHATNER PROJECT.com 407,831 views
- 10:43 An interview of Leonard Nimoy-SuperstarSuperfans part1/2by ribbonrain 12,764 views
- 9:25 Laserdisc vs. High Definitionby sightvs 4,262 views
- 9:50 Laser Disk Interactive (1985)by ckmogo 41,532 views
- 9:24 Goodbye to all my Laserdiscs?by TaishaJason 13,582 views
- 19:37 The Remnants of My Laserdisc Collection - Part 1by The World of Zaranyzerak 6,589 views
- 18:40 Pioneer LaserDisc - What It Is with Patrick O'Nealby Watcher3223 4,737 views
- 9:39 Leonard Nimoy's STAR TREK Memories Part Twoby Save Enterprise 60,887 views
- 9:26 The Laser Disc (LD) Video Formatby Classic Gaming with the Bird! 24,909 views
- 5:40 Spock VS Q (Leonard Nimoy & John de Lancie)by neko05 283,149 views
- 2:54 Leonard Nimoy on the Spock "Star Trek" Vulcan Salute - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORGby Archive of American Television - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG 201,962 views
- 10:05 Laserdisc Collectionby MrMovieNight 15,824 views
- 8:51 Leonard Nimoy Laserdisc Demo (2 of 3) BEST QUALITYby TheAisleSeatCom 2,330 views
- 5:42 Remember laserdisc An AVGN review. • VideoSift Online Video Quality Control.mp4by Alvin Hylton 14,764 views
- 0:54 Leonard Nimoy responds to The Big Bang Theoryby tsukishime's channel 321,650 views
- Loading more suggestions...