BP : Grand Isle Town Hall Meeting: This is what main stream media won't report!! July, 29 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 31, 2010
On the 100th day after the Deepwater Horizon explosion, the people of Grand Island are angry. At least, the two dozen who showed up to a meeting with the local BP representative on Thursday night are angry. Voices were raised, and one woman cried.
"People are scared," said Mayor David Camardelle. "They think BP is going to pull out. They don't know how they are going to pay the rent."
Residents spent an hour sharing a spectrum of worries while sitting in rows of hard purple chairs under the fluorescent lights of the community center. They said that they are getting sick, that they aren't being hired to do the work, and that BP is spraying dispersant every night -- but all that does is sink the oil, so they will keep having to deal with it. Karen Hopkins, who runs the office at the currently-nonoperational Dean Blanchard Seafood and dock, said that her reimbursement check got dramatically reduced the day after an interview that she gave aired on CBS. Blanchard himself stood up and shouted that his dock wasn't being used for any cleanup efforts, when usually at this time of year it is a hub for fishermen.
At the front of the room, BP representative Jason French sat wearing a blue shirt and an impassive expression, taking the heat and occasionally addressing issues. "I can promise you that your checks weren't cut because you gave an interview," he said to Hopkins -- adding that anyone, including contracted cleanup workers, is free to speak to the media. Perhaps her paperwork had been re-evaluated, he said. Perhaps a mistake had been made. He would look into it.
Grand Isle, a barrier island turned edgewise toward the gulf, has been hard-hit by the spill. Cleanup workers are still on the beaches, which are barricaded with orange plastic fencing. Those fishermen who can't get jobs collecting oil are out of work. Last weekend the community had to cancel their prized fishing tournament, the Grand Isle Tarpon Rodeo, for the first time since 1928.
Residents' anger shows up in dozens of signs posted along the islands single main road. "BP, we want our beach back," says one on handpainted plywood. Another, professionally printed on yellow plastic, reads, "Cannot fish or swim. How the hell are we supposed to feed our kids now?" by Jacoba Charles, SolveClimate.com- Jul 30th, 2010
Standard YouTube License
- 3:20 Meeting Greg Mortensonby vlogbrothers Featured 207,529
- 43:39 Jesse Ventura - The Gulf Oil Spillby AmericanReveille1,781 views
- 59:08 Deepwater Disaster BP Oil Spill Documentaryby MrDocumentair652 views
- 3:25 What's Really Happening In Grand Isle Louisiana - You Won't Believe This!!!by in5d46,969 views
- 7:59 BP Oil Spill Grand Isle Town Hall Meeting What the media wont show you PART IIby Eric Breaux9,117 views
- 8:29 BP Clean Up Crews Are Dyingby sharky73412,342 views
- 7:09 BP Oil Spill Grand Isle Town Hall Meeting Part 3by Eric Breaux3,394 views
- 9:44 BP Texas City Disasterby Dylan Belkin11,155 views
- 10 videos Play all Angry lynch mob attacks Congressman at townhall meetingby tjwalker
- 5:05 The Gulf oil spill: Part 1—The economic impactby SEPupload4,691 views
- 2:10 First Signs of Civil War begin in the US: Sheriff Tony DeMeo Threatens Force Against Federal Agentsby george4title420,904 views
- 58:58 BBC Stephen Fry And The Great American Oil Spillby AwesomeDocumentarys39,342 views
- 4:44 COREXIT is Eating Through Boats in the Gulfby WalKnDude00246,452 views
- 11:05 PETE STARK faces angry Constituents. Highlights from meeting. We need reps operating at 100 percent.by Steve Kemp12,448 views
- 0:48 BP - We're Sorryby Mizery283282,909 views
- 32:22 BP Oil Spill, Are you Still Eating The Fish!! BP, you're pure EVIL 4 /3/ 2013by Juz Cuz8,872 views
- 10:01 Voices From Grand Isle Louisianaby Chloe Harvill5,565 views
- 47:48 Deep Water Horizon: What Happened, why, and where do we go from here?by New College of Florida40,439 views
- 1:30:20 The Big Fix - BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Cover upby James Varty40,189 views
- 1:21:10 The Deepwater Horizon Accident: What Happened and Why?by StanfordUniversity49,522 views