Laws of Physics Won't Wait for Laws from Congress
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 31, 2012
"Everyone talks about the weather and no one can do anything about it. Right? Wrong. Human activity has sharply increased the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, dramatically affecting our weather.
"The effects of climate change are already being felt in the U.S. and around the world in the form of not only extreme weather, but encroaching disease, water shortages, acidifying oceans, species loss, and increasing atmospheric temperatures.
"The scientific consensus is that climate change is caused by increases in concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from human activity. That's right. We are helping to create our own bad weather.
"Science has determined that the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide before the industrial revolution was 275 parts per million. Today it is about 394.
"While we may already be past a tipping point, if we set a limit on concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere now, there is a chance we can soften the negative effects of global climate change.
"Let's look at the evidence: The amount of reflective surface area on the Earth, now provided primarily by ice and snow, is lessening. Geological deposits with gigatons of methane, which has well over 15 times the warming capacity of carbon dioxide, are being released from permafrost and from the bottom of the ocean. There is a growing acidification of the ocean and a loss of forest cover due to deforestation and forest fires. This hinders the absorption of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
"These conditions challenge our resolve as a people. We simply must set aside all partisan, philosophical and economic differences in a great movement to save our planet for ourselves and for future generations.
"Accordingly, and consistent with the best science available, I will submit to Congress a resolution which will help promote national, economic and environmental security by the adoption of a target of 350 parts per million of atmospheric carbon dioxide. It will be a yardstick by which to evaluate domestic and international climate change policies. Our nation should develop domestic and international energy and environmental policies that are sufficiently flexible to accommodate advancing science, tipping points and apparent changes in weather which now threaten life, the environment, property, the economy and our infrastructure.
"It is time to unite to save our nation and our planet."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:42 93% of Americans Support Labeling Genetically Modified Foodsby DJKucinich1,812 views
- 2:11 End The Childhood Obesity Subsidyby DJKucinich855 views
- 2:32 National Security Stateby DJKucinich5,657 views
- 1:22 Push the Middle Class Off the Cliff? No WAY!by DJKucinich6,543 views
- 1:35:40 Richard Feynman - No Ordinary Genius (Documentary)by CooIDocumentaries183,182 views
- 54:30 Foundations of Physical Law lecture 1by David Law664 views
- 35:56 Thermodynamics and the End of the Universe: Energy, Entropy, and the fundamental laws of physics.by Eugene Khutoryansky9,376 views
- 56:05 Richard Feynman: The Character of Physical Law - Pt. 1. The Law of Gravitationby Stian Sivertsen1,056 views
- 8:27 Not Man Made Global Warming But The Coming Ice Ageby elucidative383 views
- 1:17:33 QED: Photons -- Corpuscles of Light -- Richard Feynman (1/4)by ReasonPublic47,370 views
- 1:21:43 Chris Hedges: Empire of Illusionby Wilton Vought467 views
- 56:01 Richard Feynman-The Character of Physical Law Part3: The Great Conservation Principlesby SevenSevenSevenaka29,528 views
- 50:18 A lecture on basic physics by Richard P. Feynman [Cassete 1]by Agorila0922,079 views
- 47:29 Mind Change: The New Climate Change? - Baroness Susan Greenfield CBEby standrewsprize633 views
- 8:23 METAFÍSICA CUANTICA - Las 7 Leyes Universalesby YO SOY eres TU eres YO SOY12,238 views
- 1:05:57 Richard Feynman: Fun to Imagine | Using physics to explain how the world works (1983)by infiniteinfiniteinfi147,530 views
- 14:24 Permafrost Melting In The Arcticby jimbonumber91,719 views
- 1:18:03 Richard Feynman Physics Lecture 01 - Photons, Corpuscles of Lightby Gkool198810,851 views
- 57:02 Richard Feynman - The Character of Physical Law - Part4 Symmetry in Physical Law (full version)by SevenSevenSevenaka41,894 views
- 55:54 Richard Feynman - The Character of Physical Law - 2 -The Relation of Mathematics to Physicsby Freigeist 2078912,689 views
- Loading more suggestions...