Laws of Physics Won't Wait for Laws from Congress
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 31, 2012
"Everyone talks about the weather and no one can do anything about it. Right? Wrong. Human activity has sharply increased the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, dramatically affecting our weather.
"The effects of climate change are already being felt in the U.S. and around the world in the form of not only extreme weather, but encroaching disease, water shortages, acidifying oceans, species loss, and increasing atmospheric temperatures.
"The scientific consensus is that climate change is caused by increases in concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from human activity. That's right. We are helping to create our own bad weather.
"Science has determined that the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide before the industrial revolution was 275 parts per million. Today it is about 394.
"While we may already be past a tipping point, if we set a limit on concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere now, there is a chance we can soften the negative effects of global climate change.
"Let's look at the evidence: The amount of reflective surface area on the Earth, now provided primarily by ice and snow, is lessening. Geological deposits with gigatons of methane, which has well over 15 times the warming capacity of carbon dioxide, are being released from permafrost and from the bottom of the ocean. There is a growing acidification of the ocean and a loss of forest cover due to deforestation and forest fires. This hinders the absorption of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
"These conditions challenge our resolve as a people. We simply must set aside all partisan, philosophical and economic differences in a great movement to save our planet for ourselves and for future generations.
"Accordingly, and consistent with the best science available, I will submit to Congress a resolution which will help promote national, economic and environmental security by the adoption of a target of 350 parts per million of atmospheric carbon dioxide. It will be a yardstick by which to evaluate domestic and international climate change policies. Our nation should develop domestic and international energy and environmental policies that are sufficiently flexible to accommodate advancing science, tipping points and apparent changes in weather which now threaten life, the environment, property, the economy and our infrastructure.
"It is time to unite to save our nation and our planet."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:57 Airco DH.2 - 1915 World War 1 Fighterby HAFUVideoFeatured 51,353
- 2:42 93% of Americans Support Labeling Genetically Modified Foodsby DJKucinich 1,733 views
- 2:52 The Kill Matrixby DJKucinich 2,149 views
- 2:11 End The Childhood Obesity Subsidyby DJKucinich 778 views
- 1:04 Kucinich Calls for General Petraeus to Testify Before Congress About 9/11/12 Events in Benghaziby DJKucinich 1,912 views
- 1:39:57 La Metafisica bajo el prisma de un curso de milagros - Sergi Torresby LA CAJA DE PANDORA 41,176 views
- 1:17:58 Richard Feynman on Quantum Mechanics Part 1 - Photons Corpuscles of Light.FLVby Narayan Behera 248,344 views
- 6:13 Rand Paul & Dennis Kucinich illegal war on Libya!by vsmrk100 222 views
- 59:43 The Fantastic Mr Feynman BBC documentary influential inspiring scientists of 20th centuryby grahamNhaveigotnews 891 views
- 49:39 Richard Feynman - The Pleasure Of Finding Things Outby TheScienceFoundation 329,719 views
- 42:00 The Greatest Talk of Jacque Fresco - The Venus Project (subs)by iimuhin 193,351 views
- 8:27 Not Man Made Global Warming But The Coming Ice Ageby elucidative 173 views
- 4:12 LA PRÁCTICA DEL YO SOY (Libro de Oro de Saint Germain)by GMICTube 251,059 views
- 1:55:44 Fundamentos físicos y metafísicos de la Biodescodificación - Enric Corbera - parte 4º de 4by LA CAJA DE PANDORA 35,756 views
- 10:56 Kerbal Space Program - Abusing Fuel Pumps To Break The Laws Of Physicsby Scott Manley 89,703 views
- 9:35 Tipping Point of Arctic and World Foodby Peter Carter 213 views
- 8:49 Global warming effects on Earthby TeluguSnehatv9 681 views
- 5:27 Public Health in the Industrial Revolution.wmvby Daisy Simmonds 530 views
- 50:00 Medical Progress: What Might Have Been | Dr. Arthur B. Robinsonby LibertyInOurTime 462 views
- 5:12 Close Up Footage Of The High Park Fires In Colorado - Forest Fireby alliefox25 30,529 views
- Loading more suggestions...