Keith Olbermann Special Comment: John Mccain - Iraq war
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 12, 2008
The surge is not working... If it was, then our troops could come home now. But John Mccain still insists that the surge is working, yet he is unable to ascertain when we can draw down to below pre-surge levels. Halfway through June, and already, 14 soldiers have been killed this month. However, Mccain states that it's "not too important" when we can withdraw our forces.
As an internist at New York's Mount Sinai Hospital, Dr. Stephanie Santos is used to finding odd things in people's stomachs. So last spring when a young man, identifying himself as an Iraq-bound soldier, said he had accidentally swallowed a pen at the bus station, she believed him. That is, until she found a second pen. It read 1-800-GREYHOUND. Last summer, according to published reports, a 20-year-old Bronx soldier paid a hit man $500 to shoot him in the knee on the day he was scheduled to return to Iraq. The year before that, a 24-year-old specialist from Washington state escaped a second tour of duty, according to his sister, by strapping on a backpack full of tools and leaping off the roof of his house, injuring his spine.
Such cases of self-harm are a "rising trend" that military doctors are watching closely, says Col. Kathy Platoni, an Army Reserve psychologist who has worked with veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. "There are some soldiers who will do almost anything not to go back," she says. Col. Elspeth Ritchie, the Army's top psychologist, agrees that we could see an uptick in intentional injuries as more U.S. soldiers serve long, repeated combat tours, "but we just don't have good, hard data on it." Intentional- injury cases are hard to identify, and even harder to prosecute. Fewer than 21 soldiers have been punitively discharged for self-harm since 2003, according to the military. What's worrying, however, is that American troops committed suicide at the highest rate on record in 2007—and the factors behind self-injury are similar: combat stress and strained relationships. "It's often the families that don't want soldiers to return to war," says Ritchie.
Soldiers have long used self-harm as a rip cord to avoid war. During World War I, The American Journal of Psychiatry reported "epidemics of self-inflicted injuries," hospital wards filled with men shot in a single finger or toe, as well as cases of pulled-out teeth, punctured eardrums and slashed Achilles' heels. Few doubt that the Korean and Vietnam wars were any different. But the current war—fought with an overtaxed volunteer Army—may be the worst. "We're definitely concerned," says Ritchie. "We hope they'll talk to us rather than self-harm."
Standard YouTube License
- 10:58 Keith Olbermann "John McCain sold out the troops"by Jamal Boone10,876 views
- 10:57 Keith Olbermann to John McCain "Grow Up!"by Jamal Boone6,514 views
- 5:57 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: John Mccain - Iraq (Part 2)by AntiConformist9113,918 views
- 10:57 Keith Olbermann special comment: Barack Obama FISA billby AntiConformist91111,611 views
- 10:50 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Dick Cheney is a terroristby AntiConformist9116,738 views
- 9:57 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Democrats wuss out on Iraqby AntiConformist9115,424 views
- 10:57 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Bush, Golf, Iraq Warby AntiConformist9119,611 views
- 10:24 Olbermann's Special Comment on GOP Fearmongeringby mojorisin937136,181 views
- 9:39 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: President Obama must prosecute Bush and Cheney for tortureby AntiConformist9115,143 views
- 10:41 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Stay the Course/Appeasementby AntiConformist9115,111 views
- 10:58 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Sarah palin is an idiot!by AntiConformist91166,447 views
- 10:42 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Clinton-Obama Assassinationby AntiConformist911142,443 views
- 9:10 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Gen. Petraeus report - Iraqby AntiConformist9114,565 views
- 5:54 Olbermann Special Comment: John MCCain Has Closer Relationship With Rashid Khalidiby Ishoozedotcom7,529 views
- 9:46 Keith Olbermann honors George Carlin, slams Bill O'Reillyby AntiConformist911252,121 views
- 10:56 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Sarah Palin smears Obama, incites violence at rallyby AntiConformist91177,321 views
- 6:05 Barack Obama, Keith Olbermann slam John Mccain energy planby AntiConformist9114,061 views
- 8:34 Keith Olbermann Special Comment: Bush is a liar or idiotby oreillywatch49,718 views
- 5:45 Keith Olbermann rips John McCain Sarah Palin Racist Rallies!by Jamal Boone59,561 views
- 8:24 Keith Olbermann: Some Words on Freedom of Speechby TheTruthNow13,127 views
- Loading more suggestions...