TEDxNOLA - Michael McDaniel - Reaction Emergency Housing System
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 22, 2010
Michael McDaniel was born and raised in Centreville, Mississippi. He earned a B.F.A with an emphasis in graphic design from Mississippi State University where he remains actively involved serving on the College of Architecture Art and Design's advisory board.
After beginning his design career in California, he now lives in Austin, Texas, where he is a Senior Designer at frog design. Prior to joining frog design in 2008 as a Senior Designer, he worked on large, diverse teams to solve complex interaction, experience, transportation, wayfinding, environmental, and branding problems for a variety of industries. His broad skill set and thoughtful approach to design has led to very unique and effective solutions for a variety of clients including Sprint, AT&T, American Airlines, Best Buy, HP, and Disney.
Michael's work on design teams for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, has been recognized by several professional design organizations, including the Society of Environmental Graphic Designers (SEGD). His redesign of the entire Interstate Highway System won top honors from the Cooper Union in 2006. His design work has been featured in major design publications such as Print, Critique, Communication Arts, How, and Step Inside Design. Michael's Reaction Housing System has been featured by GOOD magazine several times including an online documentary.
His heart is truly in using meaningful design to help people in their daily lives. This goal is apparent from his development of various systems to help weakened patients around hospitals to housing systems designed to aid communities in rebuilding their lives following major disasters.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 25 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. The annual TED Conference invites the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes. Their talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The annual TED Conference takes place in Long Beach, California, with simulcast in Palm Springs; TEDGlobal is held each year in Oxford, UK. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily, and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TEDFellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Follow TED on Twitter at twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at facebook.com/TED.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:54 TEDxAustin - Michael McDanielby TEDxTalks16,361 views
- 10:21 TEDxNOLA - John Besh - Ingenuity and Crisisby TEDxTalks5,024 views
- 9:44 TEDxNOLA - Lynn Fritz - Humanitarian Logisticsby TEDxTalks1,439 views
- 17:31 TEDxFlint - Peter Bregman - Living With Your Hands Off Your Earsby TEDxTalks12,636 views
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks1,328,657 views
- 16:25 TEDxNOLA - Wendell Pierce - Crisis and Creativityby TEDxTalks1,106 views
- 6:51 TEDxRC2 - Heather Blanchard - Meet the Digital Humanitariansby TEDxTalks680 views
- 20:24 TEDxAustin - Mark Rolston - 02/20/10by TEDxTalks3,284 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,364,121 views
- 12:21 TEDxNOLA - Dr. Irwin Redlener - Human Dimensions of Disaster Recoveryby TEDxTalks1,022 views
- 12:53 TEDxNOLA - Branford Marsalis + Lolis Eric Elie - Creativity and Housingby TEDxTalks558 views
- 10:57 TEDxNOLA - Mitch Landrieu - Resilienceby TEDxTalks1,416 views
- 9:38 TEDxNOLA - Harry Shearer - Water and Creativityby TEDxTalks845 views
- 7:14 TEDxNOLA - Sarah Usdin - Education Reformby TEDxTalks1,002 views
- 11:19 TEDxNOLA - David Waggonner - Living with Waterby TEDxTalks826 views
- 6:18 TEDxNOLA - Sara Estes Cohen - Preparedness and Social Mediaby TEDxTalks989 views
- 16:16 TEDxNOLA - Matt Wisdom - Managing City IT in a Crisisby TEDxTalks497 views
- 11:14 Hackschooling makes me happy: Logan LaPlante at TEDxUniversityofNevadaby TEDxTalks959,134 views
- 8:43 TEDxNOLA - Andre Perry - Education Reformby TEDxTalks565 views
- 13:07 TEDxNOLA - James Carville - Living With Crisisby TEDxTalks539 views