Ostia Antica, harbour of the Imperial Rome - A computer reconstruction
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 18, 2013
This is a video of my reconstructions of the Roman town of Ostia. The Ostia Antica Park is one of the largest and most important italian archaeological sites of the ancient Rome. With his fifty hectares, its buildings and its streets, it testifies the development of a large urban and commercial center during the imperial age. Ostia was the most important port of the antiquity, the gate of Rome on the Mediterranean sea.
This ancient roman town is located at the mouth of the Tiber, hence its name: in fact 'ostium' in latin means 'mouth of the river'. It was a quite large town and for its importance and extension it was called 'the second Rome'.
I have visited the town many times during my life and each time I was amazed by its monuments, its mosaics, its architecture. I have projected myself in a imaginary world, trying to picture the buildings around me. This reconstruction is the product of my researches and long study of the roman architecture that ended up with the modeling of a huge 3d model (around 15 million of polygons) representing the whole town - and part of the neighborhood.
According to my knowledge (and please let me know if I am wrong), this is the first time this town has been entirely reconstructed in 3D.
I have produced many still images and packaged them into apps for iOS and Android, a sort of archeological guide based only on 3d images. You can find more info about the iOS apps on my web site at:
or searching 'ostia antica' on the Apple Store or on the Google Play.
If you enjoyed watching this video, I would be really glad to read your comments. Drop a line here or just click 'I like'. I will know you appreciated my work....
Standard YouTube License
- 50:40 THE ROMAN EMPIRE: Rise of the Empire 1 / 8by GREATER HISTORY Featured 176,326
- 1:15:24 Los bárbaros contra el Imperio Romano. Película completa español.by Historiasyrelatos221,765 views
- 1:49:47 Viaggio tra i segreti e i tesori di Ostia antica (Ulisse)by Le Pleiadi by camellights7615,874 views
- 46:33 Seven Wonders of Ancient Romeby Chaldean Kaldaya72,083 views
- 1:15:03 9. From Brick to Marble: Augustus Assembles Romeby YaleCourses18,986 views
- 1:00:08 After the Fall of the Romans: The Mysterious Dark Agesby ConspiracyMutant356,256 views
- 52:05 Las Siete Maravillas de la Antigua Roma [Documental Completo]by GRGE40,111 views
- 11:46 EP.4/6 The Lost Gods.pt1/2 - The Romans.by commonagenet5,948 views
- 33:23 Conservation for the Future: Ostia Antica (Rinaldi)by WEDIGROME405 views
- 1:43:52 LA BATALLA CONTRA ROMAby EGIPTOAROMA HISTORIA ANTIGUA609,709 views
- 8:09 Ostia Antica Chapter 7: Roman Constructionby WEDIGROME3,534 views
- 11:22 Reconstruction of a roman city - Carnuntum 2011 - Making of the scale modelby techlab7reasons3,211 views
- 3:09 Foro Romano. Ricostruzione 3D virtualeby arseuropa5,394 views
- 6:36 Ostia Antica Chapter 2: The Significance of the Site/ Rome's Reflectionby WEDIGROME5,448 views
- 2:48 Ostia Antica, harbor of the Imperial Rome - A computer reconstructionby Colonia Ostiensis6,953 views
- 55:01 Ancient Greeks: Golden Age of Civilization | History Channel Documentaryby MrGreekDocumentary129,414 views
- 1:10:54 罗马建筑03 Technology and Revolution in Roman Architecture HALFCD TLFby borawang00881 views
- 11:45 Colosseum Rome's Arena of Death [4/4]by TitusLabienus50,226 views
- 32:03 How To Do A Complete Portrait Retouch in Lightroom 5by Terry White99,314 views
- 30:00 OSTIA ANTICA, ROMA, ITALY (1 of 3)by etruscanwarrior4,385 views