Kerry tackles Senate questions on Iran and economy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 24, 2013
http://www.euronews.com/ US Secretary of State Nominee John Kerry has promised to keep up the pressure over Iran's nuclear ambitions.
The former Massachusetts Senator is US President Barack Obama's choice to replace Hillary Clinton.
Kerry told a Senate confirmation hearing on Thursday that he would be "totally" committed to enforcing US sanctions against Tehran.
Some analysts expect him to take a much tougher stance once in office, which could involve military action.
"In the next four years, President Obama and Secretary Kerry will have to decide: 'do we strike Iran or not?' It's hard to imagine four more years of this slow motion path towards an Iranian nuclear weapon without Iran actually getting the weapon. So I think this next four years is decision time," said Michael O'Hanlon, a Senior Fellow from the Brookings Institution.
Kerry also hit out at the ongoing political fray in Washington over America's finances. He warned Congress that the US needed to fix its economy to maintain its role as a world leader.
"My plea is that we can summon across party lines an economic patriotism which recognises that American strength and prospects abroad depend on American strength and results at home."
Senators are due to vote on Kerry's nomination next week. Most think his confirmation will sail through.
Reporting for euronews in Washington, Stefan Grobe said: "There is no doubt that John Kerry is going to be confirmed as the next US secretary of state. He will take over at a time when people around the world are looking to America for leadership. Today he made clear that he is ready to do the job."
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 12:38 Ron Paul on the FED,War Mongering and Iran.by TheTheTruthChannelFeatured 779
- 0:56 US Secretary of State Nominee John Kerry gets tough on Iranby Euronews 1,093 views
- 2:53 Egypt's young review goals of revoltby Euronews 452 views
- 0:46 Apple shares tank as tech giant's growth slowsby Euronews 996 views
- 1:02 Egypt's President Mursi faces growing calls to step downby Euronews 213 views
- 4:41 Build up to WW3 - U.S. Accuses IRAN of Supplying ARMS To SYRIAby KidsEducationTV 118 views
- 2:08 Kerry urges end of Iran's nuclear developmentby AlJazeeraEnglish 3,265 views
- 6:31 Perspolis vs Esteghlal Talk with Coaches - 2012/13 Iran Pro League - Week 23by Iran Football Magazine 693 views
- 2:40 'Iran's new air defence system deters all low-altitude threats'by PressTVGlobalNews 17,824 views
- 2:29 Iran successfully sends a monkey into spaceby PressTVGlobalNews 46,306 views
- 1:22 News: John Kerry - Attacking Iran possible! March 6th,2013! Breaking news!by Endza50 1,471 views
- 21:44 Iran's ninth parliament-Iran Today-06-05-2012by PressTVGlobalNews 1,454 views
- 7:15 The Coming War With Israel And Iran (WW3)by Andood James 8,955 views
- 0:30 Iran unveils indigenous stealth reconnaissance, combat droneby Ya Ali 562 views
- 3:24 Secretary Clinton Introduces Nominee for Secretary of State, Senator John Kerryby statevideo 6,099 views
- 1:25 Protester Screams In US Senate Hearing | Newsbreaker | Ora TVby Ora TV 405 views
- 10:03 John Kerry Confirmation Hearing: Questioned About Vietnam vs. Current U.S. Policyby ABCNews 59,897 views
- 1:09 May 3 2013 John Kerry Says Attack On Iran More Likely End Times News Update 4-26-13by u2bheavenbound 3,779 views
- 14:17 Senator Exposes Obama Ammo Buying, Israel Attacks Syria -- Iran Replies & Benghazi Whistle Blowersby Greg Hunter 12,069 views
- 15:11 Senator Kerry Urges Passage of Disabilities Treatyby Senator John Kerry in Action 1,257 views
- Loading more suggestions...