Screen Guild Theater: Tennessee Johnson / The Human Comedy / Men in White
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 2, 2012
Gary Cooper, Ruth Hussey, Lionel Barrymore, Ralph Morgan
The Human Comedy:
Mickey Rooney, Frank Morgan
Men in White:
Jean Hersholt, James Craig, Louise Allbritton
Jean Pierre Hersholt (12 July 1886 -- 2 June 1956) was a Danish-born actor who lived in the United States, where he was a leading film and radio talent, best known for his 17 years starring on radio in Dr. Christian and for playing Shirley Temple's grandfather in Heidi. Asked how to pronounce his name, he told The Literary Digest, "In English, her'sholt; in Danish, hairs'hult." Of his total credits, 75 were silent films and 65 were sound films. He appeared in 140 films and directed four.
Hersholt's best remembered film roles included Marcus Schouler in Erich von Stroheim's 1924 Greed and Shirley Temple's beloved grandfather in the 1937 film version of the 1880 children's book, Heidi, written by Swiss author Johanna Spyri. During his long career in the movies, his roles ran the gamut from early silent villains to secondary parts in which his mild Danish accent and pleasant voice suited him to depict a succession of benevolent fathers, doctors, professors and European noblemen. Hersholt's last role was in the 1955 movie Run for Cover.
In The Country Doctor (1936), a movie starring the Dionne quintuplets, Hersholt portrayed Dr. John Luke, a character based on Dr. Allan Roy Dafoe, the Canadian obstetrician who delivered and cared for the Dionne Quintuplets. Two sequels followed. Hersholt wanted to do the role on radio but could not get the rights. He decided to create his own doctor character for radio, and since he was a Hans Christian Andersen enthusiast, he borrowed that name for his character of the philosophical Dr. Paul Christian who practiced in the Midwest town of River's End with the assistance of Nurse Judy Price. With the opening theme music of "Rainbow on the River", Dr. Christian was introduced on CBS on November 7, 1937 on The Vaseline Program, aka Dr. Christian's Office and later Dr. Christian, sponsored by Chesebrough Manufacturing's Vaseline.
The small-town physician's good humor, innate common sense and scientific training helped drive off a series of villainous types who tried to interfere with the peaceful lifestyle of River's End. Produced by Dorothy McCann, the radio series became a popular long-run hit, continuing on CBS until 6 January 1954, with Hersholt so strongly identified with the role that he received mail asking for medical advice. There were various spin-offs as Hersholt co-wrote a Dr. Christian novel and made a series of six family films as Christian from 1939 to 1941, for instance Dr. Christian Meets the Women in 1940. In 1956, his Dr. Christian character made the transition to television, scripted by Gene Roddenberry, with Macdonald Carey as his nephew Dr. Mark Christian. From the '30s through the '50s, Neil Reagan, brother of Ronald Reagan, directed the radio series Dr. Christian, starring Jean Hersholt.
In 1939 Hersholt helped form the Motion Picture Relief Fund to support industry employees with medical care when they were down on their luck. The fund was used to create the Motion Picture Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, California, and it led to the creation in 1956 of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, an honorary Academy Award given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry".
Hersholt's large collection of Hans Christian Andersen books is now in the Library of Congress. He translated over 160 of Andersen's fairy tales into the English language. These were published in 1949 in six volumes as The Complete Andersen, this work is "... rated as the standard translation, being one of the best" in English. Hersholt was appointed a knight of the Order of the Dannebrog in 1948, partly due to this endeavour.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:09:12 MEET DR CHRISTIAN (1939) Jean Hersholtby TheVideoCellarFeatured 1,735
- 1:25:22 Blowing Wild (1953)by djoi0901 82,773 views
- 2:44:16 3 Idiots Full Movie by Gangster Aamirby GaNgstErAamiR 168,104 views
- 1:58:19 They Came to Cordura 1959 FULL MOVIEby ForLovelyRita 333,723 views
- 2:45:15 Gary Cooper - For Whom The Bell Tolls (1943) - Completeby maf123 436,615 views
- 1:30:31 Go For Broke - Starring Van Johnsonby OMPActionAdventure 1,512 views
- 1:30:13 Screen Guild Theater: No Time for Comedy / Brother Orchid / Altar Boundby theradioarchive 29,595 views
- 7 videos Play all 04 ■ 【キープ・オン・ロケンロー！】by 65audrey
- 1:16:03 Romance of the Limberlost (1938)by MrFilmschatten 6,624 views
- 1:29:24 Screen Guild Theater: First Love / Desert Song / Joy of Livingby theradioarchive 84,490 views
- 1:28:24 Calling All Cars: The 25th Stamp / The Incorrigible Youth / The Big Shotby theradioarchive 260,093 views
- 1:30:00 Screen Guild Theater: The Great McGinty / Flesh and Fantasy / Private Worldsby theradioarchive 43,268 views
- 1:29:23 Screen Guild Theater: Love Letters / Last of Mrs. Cheyney / This Love of Oursby theradioarchive 30,426 views
- 1:29:21 Screen Guild Theater: Ruggles of Red Gap / Pinocchio / Pillow to Postby theradioarchive 51,476 views
- 1:29:34 Screen Guild Theater: The Amazing Doctor Clitterhouse / No Time for Love / The Informerby theradioarchive 107,182 views
- 1:30:33 Screen Guild Theater: Variety / None Shall Part Us / We Were Dancingby theradioarchive 20,357 views
- 1:30:20 The Tunnel (2011) ~FULL MOVIE~ [Multi-Subtitles]by NordenTV 5,540,318 views
- 1:28:46 Screen Guild Theater: Edge of Darkness / You Belong to Me / George Washington Slept Hereby theradioarchive 111,656 views
- 4:19 noc poślubnaby Dominik Arciszewski 4,062 views
- 1:31:15 Screen Guild Theater: Flesh and Fantasy / Smilin' Through / Voice of Bugle Anneby theradioarchive 28,471 views
- 1:18 North Korea leader Kim Jong-un married to Ri Sol-ju - Líder da Coreia do Norte casou-seby Rumoaohepta7 10,049 views
- Loading more suggestions...