2013 Daytona NASCAR Nationwide HUGE Crash on Last Lap
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 23, 2013
OUR DEEPEST CONDOLENCES AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL THOSE WHO WERE INJURED BY THE DEBRIS THROUGH THE CATCH FENCE. WE HOPE THAT NASCAR WILL ALLOW THE SHARING OF THIS VIDEO SO ALL FANS WILL KNOW WHY THE SIGNS ALONG THE FENCELINE SAY TO KEEP MOVING, "NO STOPPING OR STANDING" AT THE FENCE!
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - At least 30 NASCAR fans were injured Saturday when a car sailed into the fence at Daytona International Speedway, and large chunks of debris - including a tire - flew into the grandstands. No fatalities were reported from the accident on the last lap of the Nationwide Series race.
The crash began as the field closed in on the finish line, and rookie Kyle Larson's car came upon the wreck and went airborne into the fence that separates the track from the seats.
Large chunks of Larson's car landed in the grandstands, and one of his tires appeared to fly over the fence and land midway up the lower section. The car itself had its entire front end sheared off, with the burning engine wedged through a gaping hole in the fence.
Speedway President Joie Chitwood said 14 fans were treated on site, and 14 others were taken to hospitals. Chitwood didn't give any updates on their conditions.
The number of those transported given by Chitwood was slightly lower than that given by local officials.
Halifax Health spokesman Byron Cogdell said 12 people were transported to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach and six others were taken to Halifax Health Medical Center of Port Orange. All were in stable condition, Cogdell said.
Lindsay Rew, a spokeswoman for Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center, said its Daytona Beach hospital had one fan there who was in good condition. She said three others they had been expecting were diverted to another hospital.
No fatalities were reported at either hospital. Cogdell said two people taken to the Halifax in Daytona Beach arrived in critical condition, and one of those had life-threatening injuries, both were upgraded to stable condition.
The accident happened the day before the Sprint Cup Series season-opening Daytona 500 - NASCAR's version of the Super Bowl. Daytona workers could be seen repairing the large section of fence where Larson hit, as well as the wall that was damaged in the accident.
"First and foremost our thoughts and prayers are with our race fans," Chitwood said. "Following the incident we responded appropriately according to our safety protocols, and had emergency medical personnel at the incident immediately.
"We're in the process of repairing the facility and will be ready to go racing tomorrow."
As emergency workers tended to injured fans and ambulance sirens wailed in the background, a somber Tony Stewart skipped the traditional post-race victory celebration.
Stewart, who won for the 19th time at Daytona and seventh time in the last nine season-opening Nationwide races, was in no mood to celebrate.
"The important thing is what going on on the front stretch right now," said Stewart, the three-time NASCAR champion. "We've always known, and since racing started, this is a dangerous sport. But it's hard. We assume that risk, but it's hard when the fans get caught up in it.
"So as much as we want to celebrate right now and as much as this is a big deal to us, I'm more worried about the drivers and the fans that are in the stands right now because that was ... I could see it all in my mirror, and it didn't look good from where I was at."
The accident spread into the upper deck and emergency crews treated fans on both levels. There were five stretchers that appeared to be carrying fans out, and a helicopter flew overhead. A forklift was used to pluck Larson's engine out of the fence.
Chitwood waited by steps as emergency workers attended to those in the stands. Across the track, fans pressed against a fence and used binoculars trying to watch. Wrecked cars and busted parts were strewn across the garage.
"It's a violent wreck. Just seeing the carnage on the racetrack, it's truly unbelievable," driver Justin Allgaier said.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:36 Daytona 300 crash Spectator viewby BabyStyleXFeatured 38,822
- 23:57 Ustaz Kazim-Buku lama, Buku baru part3.mp4by Mj uKaY 17,131 views
- 14:48 Top Ten (Failed) Proofs for God's Existence: Part 7by Brett Palmer 134,158 views
- 2:33 HBO Band of Brothers: German General's speechby KrewArmyAirsoftCo 1,963,489 views
- 16:44 Blackhawk Serpa2: Holster of Death!?!?by ZombieTactics 154,095 views
- 6:24 Bulldozer slips off truckby Chris Maginnis 809,696 views
- 18:26 Gold on the beach 6 (Where gold items settle)by Frederick Barnes 183,457 views
- 11:57 How to smoke out your tail lights using Plasti-Dip. and remove Plasti-dipby ktmsnake 67,272 views
- 1:01 Kyle Larson Horrific Crash at NASCAR Daytona 2013 [Breaking News]by SeanJohnik 88,753 views
- 4:19 Bethel Music- Come To Me ft. Jenn Johnsonby ibethelmusic 557,694 views
- 0:25 Stuck Trackhoeby volsportsguy 1,182,437 views
- 24:56 Jay Leno's Garage: Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sportby JayLenosGarage 618,022 views
- 5:06 F15 DEMO COCKPIT.flvby MetaliCanuck 483,937 views
- 2:39 Simona Sensual si Nicu Maharu se tachineaza - Monden - Acces directby AlexandraBerceni 3,267 views
- 5:41 The Big One 2013 Drive4COPD 300 NNS @ DAYTONAby june pop 76,361 views
- 15:18 Comedian Louis CK in Studio Qby Qtv 303,515 views
- 10:33 Drag Week 2011 - Day 2 - Great Bend, KS - Unlimited class updates & More!by 1320video 214,006 views
- 8:46 FAIL Compilation March 2013by TwisterNederlandXXL 230,839 views
- 7:45 Pernyataan Bodoh Musdah Muliah (Tokoh JIL)by Syariah Khilafah 568,866 views
- 2:04 British Superbikes, The Mountain (BSB) بطولة بريطانيا للدراجات الناريةby QATARBIKECOM 174,392 views
- Loading more suggestions...