Beethoven, 5th Symphony
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 15, 2009
Ludwig van Beethoven's Fifth Symphony 5, first movement, with a graphical score.
Q: Where can I get free sheet music for this piece?
Q: What do the colors in the bar-graph score mean?
A: The colors show which instruments are playing. Here's a chart:
Q: How did you make this video?
A: There were a lot of steps; here's a short summary. I found a recording I could license and made the arrangements to use it. I found a MIDI file that was fairly complete, and imported that into the notation program Sibelius. I compared it to a printed copy of the score from my library and fixed things that were wrong (b5_fullscore.pdf is a snapshot taken during this process; note that there was a piano part in the MIDI file --- not something in the real score). Then, I listened to the recording and compared that to the score, and modified the score so that the timings were more like what the orchestra was actually playing (see b5_timings_adjusted.pdf). I exported this as a MIDI file and ran it through my custom frame-rendering software. Then, I made a "reduction" of the score (b5_reduction.pdf) and colored it to match the colors I was planning to use in the bar-graph score (b5_reduction_color.pdf). Unfortunately, when I squished the bar-graph score enough to make room for the notation score, too much detail was lost, so I ended up deciding not to use the notation. Then I put all the pieces (rendered frames, audio, titles) together in Adobe Premiere and exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Then, I used On2 Flix to convert the final file into Flash format (so that YouTube's conversion to their Flash format wouldn't change it in unpredictable ways), and uploaded the result. The PDFs mentioned in this description are in this ZIP file:
Q: You seem to have uploaded many versions of this piece ... what's going on?
A: I started out with this one in 2009:
When YouTube supported higher resolution videos, I did a remake:
Then, I started experimenting with other graphics; this one uses a fisheye effect:
This one shows dynamics, using an "egg" design:
This one shows dynamics, using a "triangle" (rhombus) design:
Q: Could you please make a video of ________?
A: Please read this:
Standard YouTube License
Ludwig van Beethoven
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 23:49 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 4th movement (complete) Ode to Joy), Presto, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 522,617 views
- 13:34 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 2nd movement (complete), Molto vivace, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 1,487,612 views
- 7:39 Mozart, Requiemby Music Animation Machine 212,336 views
- 3:37 Vivaldi, Winter, Four Seasons (Allegro), with animated scoreby Music Animation Machine 1,625,352 views
- 16:09 Beethoven, Große Fuge (complete, Great Fugue), op. 133, string quartet (animated score)by smalin 829,270 views
- 1:05:39 Symphony No. 9 ~ Beethovenby Evan Bennet 15,459,512 views
- 42:00 Four Seasons ~ Vivaldiby Evan Bennet 19,936,093 views
- 7:46 Beethoven Symphony 7 + Hubble imagesby czinczar linn 177,004 views
- 36:21 Ludwig Van Beethoven's 5th Symphony in C Minor (Full)by Fábio Fidelix 250,103 views
- 13:54 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 3rd movement (complete), Adagio molto e cantabile, Philharmonia Baroqueby Music Animation Machine 456,606 views
- 9:43 Brahms, Piano Quartet in C minor, opus 60, 3rd mvt.by Music Animation Machine 397,628 views
- 27 videos Play all Beethoven Symphony No5by karai1959
- 7:58 Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor, first movementby smalin 1,319,683 views
- 24:18 Mozart - Sonata for Two Pianos in D, K. 448 [complete]by Am4d3usM0z4rt 641,636 views
- 1:06:10 Rachmaninoff Symphony no.2 op.27 [HD]by AVRO Klassiek 1,116,237 views
- 5:05 Debussy, Arabesque #1, Piano Solo (animation ver. 2)by Music Animation Machine 2,870,904 views
- 15:06 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 1st movement (complete), Allegro ma non troppo, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 554,571 views
- 9:21 Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Best Version Ever)by MovieMonger 914,128 views
- 7:30 Beethoven, 5th Symphony, 1st mvt. ("triangles")by smalin 158,003 views
- Ilija Jergovic 19 videos178
- 12:24 Beethoven, Symphony 6, 1st movementby Music Animation Machine 103,302 views
- 3:31 Vivaldi, Spring, Allegro (Four Seasons)by Music Animation Machine 128,799 views
- Loading more suggestions...