Beethoven, 5th Symphony
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 15, 2009
Ludwig van Beethoven's Fifth Symphony 5, first movement, with a graphical score.
Q: Where can I get free sheet music for this piece?
Q: What do the colors in the bar-graph score mean?
A: The colors show which instruments are playing. Here's a chart:
Q: How did you make this video?
A: There were a lot of steps; here's a short summary. I found a recording I could license and made the arrangements to use it. I found a MIDI file that was fairly complete, and imported that into the notation program Sibelius. I compared it to a printed copy of the score from my library and fixed things that were wrong (b5_fullscore.pdf is a snapshot taken during this process; note that there was a piano part in the MIDI file --- not something in the real score). Then, I listened to the recording and compared that to the score, and modified the score so that the timings were more like what the orchestra was actually playing (see b5_timings_adjusted.pdf). I exported this as a MIDI file and ran it through my custom frame-rendering software. Then, I made a "reduction" of the score (b5_reduction.pdf) and colored it to match the colors I was planning to use in the bar-graph score (b5_reduction_color.pdf). Unfortunately, when I squished the bar-graph score enough to make room for the notation score, too much detail was lost, so I ended up deciding not to use the notation. Then I put all the pieces (rendered frames, audio, titles) together in Adobe Premiere and exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Then, I used On2 Flix to convert the final file into Flash format (so that YouTube's conversion to their Flash format wouldn't change it in unpredictable ways), and uploaded the result. The PDFs mentioned in this description are in this ZIP file:
Q: You seem to have uploaded many versions of this piece ... what's going on?
A: I started out with this one in 2009:
When YouTube supported higher resolution videos, I did a remake:
Then, I started experimenting with other graphics; this one uses a fisheye effect:
This one shows dynamics, using an "egg" design:
This one shows dynamics, using a "triangle" (rhombus) design:
Q: Could you please make a video of ________?
A: Please read this:
Standard YouTube License
Ludwig van Beethoven
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 2:00:01 The best of Mozart Part 1by Javer2949Featured 11,703,322
- 23:49 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 4th movement (complete) Ode to Joy), Presto, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 521,967 views
- 13:34 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 2nd movement (complete), Molto vivace, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 1,487,448 views
- 8:34 Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organby smalin 19,818,070 views
- 15:06 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 1st movement (complete), Allegro ma non troppo, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 554,383 views
- 42:00 Four Seasons ~ Vivaldiby Evan Bennet 19,718,211 views
- 24:18 Mozart - Sonata for Two Pianos in D, K. 448 [complete]by Am4d3usM0z4rt 641,526 views
- 1:06:10 Rachmaninoff Symphony no.2 op.27 [HD]by avroklassiek 1,106,621 views
- 28:54 Mozart - Symphony No. 36 in C, K. 425 [complete] (Linz)by Am4d3usM0z4rt 92,884 views
- 9:17 Vivaldi - Springby manosrati 6,602,881 views
- 7:46 Beethoven Symphony 7 + Hubble imagesby czinczar linn 176,276 views
- 27 videos Play all Beethoven Symphony No5by karai1959
- 7:15 Beethoven - 7th Symphony - 2nd movementby thehappymonkey 1,017,878 views
- 1:05:39 Symphony No. 9 ~ Beethovenby Evan Bennet 15,455,495 views
- 5:50 One of the best inspirational videos ever - Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009by akhilkhatri0608 107,668,607 views
- 6:22 Moonlight Sonataby beethovenslady 51,560,313 views
- 4:42 RUSSIA -- Tchaikovsky - Sleeping Beauty - Waltzby vicquial 3,080,256 views
- 8:09 Mozart, Symphony 40, G minor, first movementby musanim 441,353 views
- 10:00 Beethoven: Symphony No 1: Movement 1by earthatic 1,421,343 views
- Ilija Jergovic 19 videos178
- 8:14 Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Winter)by funfront 24,893,410 views
- 11:26 Mozart K545 Sonata in C major (complete) | Cory Hall, pianist-composerby BachScholar 634,288 views
- Loading more suggestions...