This video is unavailable.
Insights on Privacy - Adam Greenfield and Aza Raskin
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 12, 2011
On April 20th, 2011, our Office held the third Insights on Privacy armchair discussion. We heard in February about what motivates us to reveal or conceal details of our personal lives, and how we protect the private lives of others around us.
To complement this talk, we invited tech innovators Adam Greenfield (@agpublic) and Aza Raskin (@azaaza) to explore opportunities for privacy in the design of intimate devices, like smart phones, that we share our lives with every day, to the sensor-rich landscape that's upon us. We discussed opportunities for companies to empower individuals with greater choice and control over how their data are used and for greater collaboration within and across industry sectors.
In his 2006 book Everyware, Adam Greenfield argued that we were headed for a world in which keeping the boundaries between different roles in our lives was going to prove untenable. That notion is coming to pass with the current debate over the public/private divide and the blurring of our various roles and reputations online. Adam was Nokia's head of design direction for user interface and services from 2008 to 2010 and Lead Information Architect at Razorfish Tokyo. His current projects through Urbanscale focus on improving how users experience technology, such as stored-value cards for public transit and many other "smart-city" initiatives.
Aza Raskin's passion for improving the way we experience technology recently had him heading up user experience for Mozilla, developer of the popular Firefox browser, where he rethought and simplified conventional approaches to privacy policies. Raskin left Mozilla in late 2010 to launch the start-up Massive Health, with the goal of helping people improve control of their health through innovatively designed technology and the ways we interact with it.
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada Licence.
DISCLAIMER: The views or opinions expressed by the guest speakers are solely their own and do not represent the views or opinions of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:54:38 Insights on Privacy - Christena Nippert-Eng and Alessandro Acquistiby Office of the Privacy Commissioner 971 views
- 1:37:42 The Extended Mind: Recent Experimental Evidenceby GoogleTechTalks 306,503 views
- 1:20:26 ADAM GREENFIELD at SCIENCE GALLERYby ScienceGallery 667 views
- 4:48 Aza Raskin of Massive Health at SXSW 2012by techcocktail 436 views
- 1:35:55 Insights on Privacy - David Murakami Wood and Craig Forceseby Office of the Privacy Commissioner 754 views
- 1:04:47 Don't Make Me Clickby GoogleTechTalks 58,859 views
- 57:54 Online Privacy: Industry Self-Regulation in Practiceby GoogleTechTalks 3,442 views
- 7:56 Mediacontact.ie talk to Aza Raskin of Firefox at Picnic 10 in Amsterdamby Mediacontact1 924 views
- 32:27 Design Success in Health with Aza Raskin // HISUM2012by RockHealth 513 views
- 3:35 Interfacing with Aza Raskinby geekentertainmenttv 1,469 views
- 44:36 Censorship, Privacy, Anonymity, and Net Neutralityby StanfordUniversity 6,923 views
- 15:37 Informe Semanal - Ciudades que piensanby MrTaterwood 631 views
- 43:58 Adam Greenfield (web and beyond)by emercevnu 1,674 views
- 10:46 Everyware - Adam Greenfield 1of8by TrampledNews 1,927 views
- 1:31:33 Insights on Privacy - Jesse Hirsh and Chris Soghoian on the Frontiers of the Privacy Landscapeby Office of the Privacy Commissioner 644 views
- 30:37 DP/30: Winter's Bone, actor Jennifer Lawrenceby TheHotButton 283,253 views
- 3:19 Aza Raskin on conversational computing @ Innotribe SIbos 2009by Innotribe 805 views
- 2:04 SEO Lessons - Lesson 8 - Deep Linkingby gravtex 4,360 views
- 6:50 Data Privacy: Your Digital Lifeby Peter Avritch 9,140 views
- 17:56 Chairman Franken questioning Apple, Google, and Experts on Mobile Privacy and Location Trackingby Sen. Al Franken 2,565 views
- Loading more suggestions...