2001 Daytona 500 Last Lap & Post Race
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 2, 2009
Last lap of race & post race coverage live coverage. There are lots of posts of this race here, but they always seem to be cut up or they have some kind of "poignant" music covering up the audio, so having my own tape of the whole race, I decided we needed an unedited version as it was live on TV at the time it happened w. the original audio the victory lane & the commentary before everyone knew how serious the whole deal was. The only things I cut out were the commercials & the tag at the end closing the broadcast and some brief stuff (part of the field rundown) to keep this under 10 minutes. There is an interesting roof-top (NOT in-car) camera shot of the crash from Earnhardt's car that I didn't even remember and hadn't seen since (I hadn't looked at this tape since it happened).
As I remember watching this live, after the interview w. Ken Schrader, I said "he's dead" and didn't turn the TV off after Fox went off the air, but switched over to ESPN and waited for the inevitable announcement. I wasn't myself an Earnhardt fan. I rooted for Ward Burton, who had a strong car that day and looked like a threat, but was caught up in the big wreck earlier in the race. That he wasn't a fluke was proved when he won the next year. But even though Earnhardt wasn't my favorite driver, and sometimes didn't like what he did on the track (mainly wrecking Terry Labonte at Bristol & stealing that race, after which I hated him for a while) he seemed to be a good guy off the track and this was a sad day in racing.
Also interesting to note is that Fox "missed" the finish of the race, having the camera on DW when Michael's car crossed the finish line. This was an incredible bonehead move, but something that seems to be a plague in dramatic races on TV. It happened in the 1992 Indy 500, the closest finish in that race's history, when the director went to a shot from above the flag stand and, as the cars went over the finish line nose to nose, they were covered by the checkered flag waving and no one on TV saw who won! LOL! A lesson to TV directors of close & dramatic races. Keep the camera on the race track, not on relatives in the booth, on wives in the pits or the guy waving the checkered flag.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:38 John Nemechek Fatal Crash *Live*by RacingAccidentsFeatured 882,998
- 45:05 The Day - Remembering Dale Earnhardt (Full)by EdwinTV9 69,849 views
- 8:46 The Crashes that have Changed Nascarby MarkED912 929,285 views
- 5:33 2001 Pepsi 400 - Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Emotional Victoryby SlicedSmoke14 49,744 views
- 0:30 Emotional Dale Jr commercial After his fathers deathby SwitchBlade8820 134,767 views
- 7:49 2001 Pepsi 400: The Finishby SKracing 132,458 views
- 64 videos Play all NASCAR Daytona 500by redskinfan2
- 3:24 1998 Daytona 500: Congratulations on pit roadby SKracing 74,849 views
- 5:39 1998 Daytona 500: Victory Lane celebrationby SKracing 81,662 views
- 2:39 Dale's Crash part 2, including onboard camera viewby Barry Helveston 1,073,602 views
- 2:24 Dale Earnhardt Jr Wins in his Father's #3 at Daytona 2010by ampenergy327 170,338 views
- 8:17 2001 Pepsi 400: Celebrationby SKracing 147,093 views
- 11:09 Nascar On Fox Top 10 Amazing Crashesby BrianFalconsFan2 17,122 views
- 7:23 2001 Daytona 500 - The Big One Interviewsby jrfan07 37,729 views
- 5:55 2001 Daytona 500: Pre-Race Show (Part 4) - Dale's Last Nightby SKracing 41,355 views
- 2:56 2001 Daytona 500 Tony Stewart "Whale Of A Ride" Big one Liveby nascarfan48and29 84,280 views
- 3:19 2007 Daytona 500 Final Two Lapsby deadwolfbones 295,775 views
- 3:04 Dale Earnhardt's Dead crash - Daytona 2001by Jonnycot 317,892 views
- 6:48 FULL Ralph Dale Earnhardt , Sr. Fatal Crashby EarnhardtJrFan4Life 218,229 views
- 8:34 Dale Earnhardt "The Day" Part 4 of 5by XERB1090 45,115 views
- 5:00 2008 Daytona 500 Final Restart/Finishby nascarfan48and29 175,800 views
- Loading more suggestions...