Lydian Sessions - Laszlo - Saintonge
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 27, 2011
Aaron 'Laszlo' Wheeler performs a solo piano arrangement of "Saintonge" from his album Radial Nerve, now available to buy on Candyrat: http://www.candyrat.com
The recording was made in the recently built Lydian Studios in London, with Aaron is playing a Yamaha baby grand piano.
This is one of a series of videos: the 'Lydian Sessions' that intend to show some of the instrumental skill of Laszlo and his fellow musicians - hopefully giving you a better insight into the roots of the studio music.
Follow us at: http://www.facebook.com/lydianlabel
Thank you for watching!
Debut Album ' Radial Nerve ' :
Following on from a string of fine releases in their opening year, Lydian Label are very proud to announce the release of their first album, from the ever impressive, forever intricate and extremely large compositional talent that is Laszlo (aka Aaron Wheeler). Each of the singles and EP releases taken from the album so far 'NRV', 'Mr Sunshine' and 'Satori' have drummed up an array of support from many parts of the world. Nothing really does these tracks justice until you hear them in the context of the album though, with each track leading into and complimenting one another sublimely.
At a point where he was well into a successful career in composing music for media, this is an album born out of the moment when Laszlo thought his musical profession was over. After breaking his right arm and the Radial Nerve to be precise (the album title), neither his arm nor fingers would move. The doctors were convinced he would never have the reactions to play the piano or any other instrument again. Luckily, this was not the case and once the healing process was over and the doctors were proven wrong, the first track on the album was created off the wave of emotion he was experiencing. The manic, intense feel to this title track 'Radial Nerve' is testament to this and with the wind in his sails, he started to experiment with processing organic live performances through ring modulators, granulators and other experimental fx using a wide variety of instruments including mandolin, piano, Rhodes, violins and accordian, thus the unique sound of the track was created.
Other tracks on the album cover a wide variety of moods and styles with Laszlo's unique signature sound, from the feel good melodic 'mr sunshine' to the minimal laid back 'anatolia, but the defining feature in all is the commitment to live instrumentation and compositional values that sometimes get distorted in modern electronica. All instrumental sounds were recorded live, no external samples from other records were used in the making of this album and the use of instrumentation ranges from traditional western instruments to lesser known, more ethnically diverse ones.
'Satori' is a display of Laszlo's immense enthusiasm for the fusion of sound and textures, using primarily a diverse mixture of organic instruments such as piano, mandolin, flute (brilliantly played by the artist, Harmony) and vocal, blended with distinctive broken percussion and intelligent use of electronics. Then the laid-back summer polyphony of 'NRV' and the musical imaginings of 'Saintonge' are perfectly neighboured by the dreamy experimental elegance of 'Zeitgeist', and the hippy folk electronica of 'Bohemian Groove'. Throughout the album Laszlo proudly serves up a feast of musical creativity that brings his myriad influences into one cohesive and beautifully imagined body of work.
With a successful career composing music for TV programmes and adverts across the world, as well as being a multi instrumentalist (playing piano, guitar, mandolin, bass, drums, vocals, low whistle, dulcimer and percussion), Laszlo has previously worked on a variety of styles during his 10 years in the business, including world-crossover albums to more mainstream flavours. Never one to shy away from his influences, Laszlo cites these from the likes of Contemporary Jazz musicians such as Avishai Cohen and Esibourne Svensson as well as psychedelic virtuoso composers like Chick Corea, classic composers such as Claude Debussy and Igor Stravinsky to Ryuichi Sakamoto or Frank Zappa, as well as modern experimentalists like Aphex Twin, Akufen, Venetian Snares and Matthew Herbert.
This is further proof of Laszlo being more than just a producer with Logic Audio and a hard drive full of VSTs; this is a composer creating a sound of his own, using a wide variety of multi-instrumental skills whilst blending sophisticated endearing melodies with instrumentation and contemporary production.
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:42 Laszlo - Lydia's Dream (live session)by Candyrat RecordsFeatured 36,018
- 4:32 Laszlo - Bohemian Groove - Live Studio Performance ( HD )by rpoland 48,159 views
- 3:43 Trevor Gordon Hall - Whenever it Rainsby rpoland 47,523 views
- 3:32 Lydian Sessions - Laszlo - Mr Sunshine (Guitar)by Candyrat Records 34,329 views
- 2:18 Trevor Gordon Hall - Entelechyby Candyrat Records 42,565 views
- 102 videos Play all Acoustic Fingerstyleby TheTylerOcon
- 5:12 Ewan Dobson - The Legend of the Brown Goatby rpoland 381,080 views
- 4:14 Live String Quartet Performance - Laszlo - Zeitgeist ( Lydian Label Sessions ) HDby LydianLabelOnline 22,453 views
- 3:38 Hunter Van Larkins - Tapestry - (Acoustic Guitar)by rpoland 258,189 views
- 3:14 Ryan Spendlove - The Bottom Lineby Candyrat Records 44,831 views
- 9:30 Hiromi Uehara - Claire de Luneby Horthy66 169,140 views
- 2:22 Ryan Spendlove - The Years go by (2011)by rpoland 51,756 views
- 3:00 Jimmy Wahlsteen - Hitched for Lifeby Candyrat Records 74,013 views
- 2:42 Ryan Spendlove - Let Your Light Shineby rpoland 17,276 views
- 5:27 Antoine Dufour - These Moments - solo guitarby Candyrat Records 1,620,557 views
- 3:02 Ryan Spendlove - Dirty Dogby rpoland 18,557 views
- 2:38 Kelly Sciandra - East Bostonby Candyrat Records 34,347 views
- 10:28 Hiromi Uehara - Time Outby HortHy66 163,306 views
- 4:07 Mike Dawes - Somebody That I Used To Know (Gotye) - Solo Guitarby Candyrat Records 1,891,556 views
- 3:26 Craig D'Andrea - No Way - Solo Acoustic Guitarby rpoland 60,567 views
- 4:35 Matthew Santos - NVR LKD SO FIN (live session)by rpoland 60,807 views
- Loading more suggestions...