Lecture - Dr Peter Williams - New Evidences the Gospels were Based on Eyewitness Accounts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 2, 2011
This is from The Lanier Library Lecture Series titled New Evidences the Gospels were Based on Eyewitness Accounts by Dr Peter Williams given March 5, 2011
The authorship of the first four books of the New Testament has fascinated scholars for centuries. If the authors were eyewitnesses, one could assume greater reliability. If not, then questions are naturally raised about the historicity of details in the writings. Because the first three Gospels are so similar, many theories have been proposed and argued to explain the sources of verbatim sections, as well as the unique material. Did Mark rely on Peter for eyewitness details? Luke admits his use of other sources, but did he use Mark or Matthew or both? What about Matthew and John? New evidence in the discussion of these questions and more will be the focus of this lecture.
Dr. Peter Williams. is a biblical scholar and also the Director of Tyndale House, Cambridge.
The Lanier Theological Library is an exciting new resource for all students and scholars of the Bible. The LTL is a research library and is open to everyone who will use it responsibly. Within the library, you will find a comprehensive collection of books, periodicals, historical documents and artifacts with topics ranging from Church History and Biblical Studies to Egyptology and Linguistics. The LTL regularly hosts events with noted authors, guest lecturers, and researchers who will challenge you both academically and spiritually. Come to the Lanier Theological Library and find serious tools for serious study.
For more info on this: http://www.laniertheologicallibrary.org/
For those interested in Dr Peter Williams and the translation work he is involved in here is a YouTube clip from those proceedings here:
This summer the Translation Oversight Committee of the English Standard Version (ESV) met at Tyndale House in Cambridge, England to consider improvements in certain specific English word choices. For example, should the Hebrew word 'ebed and the Greek word doulos be translated "slave," "bondservant" or "servant"? The question involved lexicography, biblical theology, and both ancient and modern culture.
During deliberations, the BBC stopped by and filmed a segment, which they reduced to a four-minute clip--reflecting hours of discussion based on hundreds of hours of scholarly research. Speaking in the video are C. John Collins (Covenant Theological Seminary), Peter Williams (Senior Warden of Tyndale House, Cambridge, and a past and future presenter in the Lanier Theological Library Lecture Series), Gordon Wenham (Trinity College, Bristol; son of the late John Wenham of Oxford, who contributed the Foreword to the second edition of The Fire That Consumes), Paul House (Beeson Divinity School), Wayne Grudem (Phoenix Seminary), and Lane Dennis (Crossway Books & Bibles).
Standard YouTube License
- 1:23:52 The Gospel of Lukeby TRUTHABOUTSUNDAYFeatured 131,516
- 1:39:49 Lecture - Dr Peter Williams - Things Which Ought To Be Better Known About The Resurrection Of Jesusby Living Water 2 U 7,013 views
- 8:26 Lecture QA - Dr Peter Williams - New Evidences that the Gospels Were Written by Eyewitnessesby fleetwd1 4,524 views
- 1:38:28 Peter and Paul 1 of 2 (FULL MOVIE HQ)by wakeus777 286,879 views
- 7:19 Atheist Stumped by Overwhelming Evidence for Jesus' Existence...From an AGNOSTIC LIBERAL Scholar!by ARudeAwakening4U 189,578 views
- 2:12:57 Did Jesus Rise From The Dead -Bart Ehrman Vs William Lane Craigby Nazam44 141,795 views
- 50:29 8. The Gospel of Thomasby YaleCourses 47,498 views
- 6 videos Play all Egyptology Lecturesby SLStevensChannel
- 43:06 Are The New Testament Documents Reliable? - Dr. Peter J. Williamsby ChristianityTriumphs 271 views
- 1:19:30 [official] Eyewitnesses to Jesus? New Evidence for the Authenticity of the Gospelsby VeritasForum 2,729 views
- 49:41 The Reliability of the Gospels - Dr. Peter J. Williamsby ChristianityTriumphs 345 views
- 59:35 Lecture - Dr James Hoffmeier - Egyptologistby fleetwd1 3,878 views
- 43:40 Lecture - Father Justin - Saint Catherine's Monastery - An Ark in the Wildernessby fleetwd1 4,744 views
- 48:07 Lecture - Dr Alister McGrath - The Lord is my Lightby fleetwd1 4,383 views
- 26:41 Did Jesus Exist?by UNC College 26,994 views
- 8:20 The Gnostic Gospels - College Lecture p1by Christina Debes 7,247 views
- 1:24:31 Lecture (all) - Dr John Monson - Physical Theology: The Bible in its Land, Time and Cultureby fleetwd1 1,000 views
- 9:23 THE EMPTY CROSS: WHY JESUS DIDN'T EXIST COMPLETE DVD PART 1 OF 7by theemptycross 73,381 views
- 52:32 Lecture - Dr Weston Fields - Dead Sea Scrollsby fleetwd1 979 views
- 1:56:52 Is The Original New Testament Lost? :: A Dialogue with Dr. Bart Ehrman & Dr. Daniel Wallaceby ehrmanproject 67,043 views
- 39:05 Tim Keller's Visit to Belhavenby BelhavenUniversity 13,602 views
- Loading more suggestions...