"Alien" Solar Prominence - June 18, 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 20, 2012
June 19, 2012
This movie covers almost 15 hours from the early hours of June 18, 2012. These UV views from the AIA instrument on NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory in the 304 angstrom wavelengths show a beautiful prominence eruption. We called it the "Alien Prometheus Prominence". Why? Watch the movie and find out.
This 304 angstrom channel (red Sun) provides us a very good way of seeing areas where cooler dense plumes of plasma, filaments and prominences, are located above the visible surface of the Sun.
There is a also a close-up view in 171 angstrom of this prominence showing the arcs extending off of the Sun where plasma moves along magnetic field lines.
A solar prominence (also known as a filament when viewed against the solar disk) is a large, bright feature extending outward from the Sun's surface. Prominences are anchored to the Sun's surface in the photosphere, and extend outwards into the Sun's hot outer atmosphere, called the corona. A prominence forms over timescales of about a day, and stable prominences may persist in the corona for several months, looping hundreds of thousands of miles into space. Scientists are still researching how and why prominences are formed.
The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas comprised of electrically charged hydrogen and helium. The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun's internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unstable and bursts outward, releasing the plasma.
Credit: NASA SDO
Scoring: Alien - by Jerry Goldsmith
PS: We are not endorsing any aliens on the Sun!
Topics: Technology Internet, Environment, Solar telescopes, European Space Agency, Astronomy, Electromagnetic radiation, Space exploration, Extraterrestrial life, James Webb Space Telescope, NASA, Solar Dynamics Observatory, Ultraviolet, Entertainment Culture
Standard YouTube License
- 9:01 Webb Telescope Fine Guidance Sensor B-Rollby MrAbkebab Explore the Universe110 views
- 2:38 SDO - 2nd Year Anniversary Highlightsby MysteriesHunter76 views
- 12:37 Digital Sensor and Film Size Comparison Chartby David Hancock692 views
- 13:11 AVP Live Com: Prometheus Specialby KillFeedGaming114 views
- 5:11 The James Webb Space Telescope: The Largest Telescope Ever Launchedby Deep Astronomy27,531 views
- 3:36 Here Comes Solar Maximumby MysteriesHunter134 views
- 4:17 Fiery Loopy Rain Falls on the Sun | NASA SDO Solar Space Science HD Videoby CoconutScienceLab9,179 views
- 3:21 NASA/JWST | Planetary formation (HD)by Libera Scienza1,894 views
- 2:26 November 27, 2013: ISON/massive filament eruptionby HELLION37AL463 views
- 1:04 Tablet Microsoft Surfaceby MysteriesHunter252 views
- 4:27 Dynamic Earth | NASAby EQReporter1,443 views
- 2:22 NASA/Fermi | Highest-Energy Light from a Solar Flare (HD)by Libera Scienza277 views
- 2:35 UFO/USO on Baltic Seafloor - Ocean Explorer found anomaly in Baltic Seaby MysteriesHunter24,198 views
- 8:57 Hubblecast 45: Building a treasure trove of observationsby Cloud .Tube78 views
- 0:16 Geomagnetically Induced Currents From Reconnectionby MysteriesHunter59 views
- 4:03 The Surprising Power of a Solar Stormby MysteriesHunter33 views
- 3:28 PLANET BETWEEN THE EARTH AND SUN NYC JUNE 18, 2012 AROUND 11:00 AM LIVE by Amethyst Valentinoby Amethyst Valentino701 views
- 2:58 UFOs, Aliens, anomalies, holograms in solar space - Review for July 15, 2013by myunhauzen741,520 views
- 5:05 Hasselblad H3D Digital SLR Camera Systemby Calumet Photographic269,249 views
- 1:01 NASA | Ring-shaped Prominence Erupts from Sunby NASA Goddard91,987 views
- Loading more suggestions...