Blair and Hitchens debate religion - BBC
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 27, 2010
The two men disputed religion in Toronto Friday night at the Munk Debates before a sold-out crowd of 2,600 — scalpers outside were asking as much as $500 a ticket — as thousands more watched online.
Blair argued for the proposition that religion is a force for good, while Hitchens was against it.
Preliminary results on the Munk website said 68 per cent of the votes backed Hitchens and 32 per cent Blair.
Both men gained about 10 percentage points from the pre-debate standings, when 21 per cent were undecided.
Hitchens argued that religion is divisive and causes conflicts or makes them worse.
Blair conceded that "horrific acts of evil" have been committed in the name of religion, but said people like Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot, who opposed religion, had been evil, too. "I agree in a world without religion, that the religious fanatics may be gone, but I ask you: Would fanaticism be gone?"
Blair pointed to the Northern Ireland peace process as an example of different religions working for peace.
Hitchens replied that 400 years of religious warfare in Ireland entailed "people killing each other's children depending on what kind of Christian they were."
"To terrify children with the image of hell ... to consider women an inferior creation. Is that good for the world?" Hitchens said.
Blair said bigotry and prejudice are not "wholly owned subsidiaries" of religion. But he said the hardest argument he faced was the assertion that evil done in the name of religion is based in scripture.
The ancient religious texts contain many ideas that now appear "very strange and outdated," he said, but religions must be seen as a whole.
Hitchens, a columnist for Vanity Fair, wrote a book in 2007 called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, which sharply criticized organized religion.
Blair started the Tony Blair Faith Foundation two years ago to promote understanding between religions.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/1...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:06 Stephen Fry puts Alan in his place - Qi - BBCby BBCWorldwide Featured 1,602,254
- 1:48:55 Science and Religion Debate (Must see) please susbcribeby AtheismExamined7,408 views
- 2:12:30 Atheist Christopher Hitchens epic failure in debateby shockofgod329,033 views
- 2:30 Katt Williams - Religionby RiFF RaFF11,809 views
- 8 videos Play all Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair - Toronto 2010by sunbeamcatcher
- 14:11 Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair - Munk Debates Part 2 Religion is a Force for Good in the Worldby thehumanfactorconz12,474 views
- 9:23 Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair - Munk Debates Part I Religion is a Force for Good in the Worldby thehumanfactorconz25,873 views
- 14:49 Debate - Tony Blair vs. Christopher Hitchens 2 of 8by KYLYKaHYT66,494 views
- 8:06 Best of Christopher Hitchens - Clips on religion Part 1 of 2by bxeatr298,294 views
- 29:07 Paxman meets Hitchens full 30 minute interview with BBCs Jeremy Paxman RIPby ignoredvoices271,405 views
- 2:02:14 Atheist vs. Christian One of the best debates Christopher Hitchens v Peter Hitchensby Ahava Westminister31,094 views
- 14:11 Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair - Munk Debates Part 4 Religion is a Force for Good in the Worldby thehumanfactorconz7,358 views
- 1:59:57 Christopher Hitchens - Tony Blair God Debateby Ciarán Mac Úistín29,672 views
- 1:33:56 Full Version: Christopher Hitchens and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Debate on Godby 92nd Street Y964,658 views
- 1:48:36 The Greatest Debate of the Decade - Christopher Hitchens vs. George Galloway.by Capriluveda677,648 views
- 5:02 Sean Hannity vs Christopher Hitchens Debate Does God Existby ThinkNowPeople501,566 views
- 1:44:47 [HQ] Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair - Religion - A Force For Good? by GodlessUK8,249 views
- 7:08 Christopher Hitchens explains catholicism to Tony Blairby katholenblogger200,734 views
- 54:58 Debate: Is Biblical Christianity a religion of Peace? part 1by N. Ali Akbar8,036 views
- 27:29 Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens Debate Religion - Munk Debateby wickywoowoo23,756 views