Gene Derwood "Elegy on Gordon Barber" Poem animation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 23, 2012
Heres a virtual movie of the very talented American poetess and artist Gene Derwood (1909 -1954) reading "Elegy on Gordon Barber" She tragically died young from stomach cancer at the age of 44 leaving behind a collection of approximately 40 poems several of which were outstanding. Her style has been compared to that of the WW1;poet Wilfred owen,,Sylvia Plath also comes to mind. She was recorded reading this and a selection of some of her best poems. by the Library of Congress.
Gene Derwood (1909--1954) was an American poet, painter and wife of the poet and anthologist Oscar Williams.
Theres not much about Gene Derwood around the internet,but here's an a paste of a brief web page about Gordon Barber the subject of this poem
I am Peter Gordon Donald, born Stephen James Roberts.
I am named after Gordon Barber, my Father's close friend who drowned at my Grandmother's Camp, Panther Cove, on Upper Saranac Lake, at the age of 18.
Here is a famous poem I found today about Gordon and what happened. My Father still refuses to speak about the tragedy. As a boy this is how I came to be a reporter, by reconstructing the story through news accounts and speaking with family members. Obviously this is a big part of my book Low Expectations.
Elegy on Gordon Barber, a poem by Gene Derwood
On Gordon Barber, Lamentably
Drowned in his Eighteenth Year
When in the mirror of a permanent tear
Over the iris of your mother's eye
I beheld the dark tremor of your face, austere
With space of death, spun too benign for youth,
Icicle of the past to pierce her living sigh --
I saw you wish the last kiss of mother's mouth,
Who took the salted waters rather in the suck
Of seas, sighing yourself to fill and drench
With water the plum-rich glory of your breast
Where beat the heart escaping from war's luck.
Gordon, I mourn your wrist, your running foot,
Your curious brows, your thigh, your unborn daughters,
Yet mourn more deep the drought-caught war dry boy
Who goes, a killer, to join you in your sleep
And envy you what made you blench
Taking your purple back to drought-less waters.
What choke of terror filled you in the wet
What fierce surprise caught you when play turned fate
And all the rains you loved became your net,
Formlessly yielding, yet stronger than your breath?
Then did you dream of mother or hopes hatched
When the cold cramp held you from nape to foot
And time dissolved, promise dissolved, in Death?
Did you cry 'cruel' to all the hands that stretched
Not near, but played afar, when you sank down
Your sponge of lungs hurt to the quick
Till you had left the quick to join the dead,
Whom now, your mother mourns grief-sick.
You were too young to drown.
Never will you take bride to happy bed,
Who lay awash in water yet no laving
Needed, so pure so young for sudden leaving.
Gone, gone is Gordon, tall and brilliant lad
Whose mind was science. Now hollow his skull
A noble sculpture, is but sunken bone,
His cells from water come by water laid
Grave-deep, to water gone.
Lost, lost the hope he had
Washed to a cipher his splendour and his skill.
But Gordon's gone, it's other boys who live afraid.
Two years, and lads have grown to hold a gun.
In dust must splendid lads go down and choke,
Red dry their hands and dry their one day's sun
From which they earthward fall to fiery tomb
Bomb-weighted, from bloodying children's hair.
Never a boy but takes as cross Cain's crime
And goes to death by making death, to pass
Death's gate distorted with the dried brown grime --
Better the watery death than death by air
Or death by sand
Where fall hard fish of fear
Loud in unwetted dust.
Spun on a lucky wave, O early boy!
Now ocean's fish you are
Perhaps you had sweet mercy's tenderness
To win so soon largesse of choice
That you, by grace, went gayly to the wave
And all our mourning should be to rejoice.
All rights are reserved on this video recording copyright Jim Clark 2012
Standard YouTube License
- 45:07 Russell Peters Stand Up Comedy! BEST EVER!by TheSuperNinjaUnicorn2,200,978 views
- 9:45 BOLETIN Y ELEGIA DE LA MITASby estoesecuador23,190 views
- 28:14 Dave Chappelle Comedy Half Hour. Best Comedian Everby bol2gy109,889 views
- 11:26 Types of Poetryby Brooke Cunningham2,831 views
- 24:07 Fluffy Visits Saudi Arabia - Gabriel Iglesias (from Aloha Fluffy: Gabriel Iglesias Live from Hawaii)by Gabriel Iglesias3,647,999 views
- 4:51 Comedian owns heckler for 4 minutesby Steve Hofstetter791,749 views
- 8:55 BETO MENDEZ - EL DESPERTAR DE LA RAZA - LA ELEGIA DE LA RAZAby Musica Ecuatoriana Online2,408 views
- 7:48 Cancer Cure with Baking Soda? Cancer Causes, Research and Natural Therapiesby Artour Rakhimov60,049 views
- 11:22 Jimmy Carr VS Hecklers - ULTIMATE 10 minute Comedy Compliation! Must see - HecklerBlogby HecklerBlog5,814,113 views
- 17:41 Gerard Manley Hopkins "The Wreck of the Deutschland" Poem animationby poetryreincarnations1,718 views
- 6:03 Sormeh Elegy - Official Videoby Massih Parsaei14,277 views
- 19:16 Minecraft Adventures - Animationby FedoraCO8,576,187 views
- 8:39 What is the Shortest Poem?by Vsauce1,890,803 views
- 10:03 Samuel Barber - Adagio for Stringsby Tweeklet2,763,979 views
- 3:10 Lung Cancer Staging Non-small Cellby Nucleus Medical Media35,178 views
- 1:08:09 Best Vocaloid Songs - Over 1 Hour Mixby Jaki Rose229,313 views
- 2:16 Elegia para ti y para mi - El poeta de la calleby Pedro Sulca41,777 views
- 3:23:02 Hatsune Miku Live Party 2013 in Kansai [720p]by Kaito Shion1,002,753 views
- 3:41 Gene Derwood "With God Conversing" Poem animationby poetryreincarnations282 views
- 37:43 Vocaloid medley1 arranged on Acoustic Guitar by Osamuraisan [Working BGM]by Osamurai san799,901 views
- Loading more suggestions...