How to Make Yogurt at Home! Noreen's Kitchen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 28, 2011
Greetings! Since I was making yogurt today, I thought I would share how I do it with you. So simple and so easy and requires so few ingredients you will not believe it. Now, most of us love yogurt. I know I do and my kids do too. It's a great source of protein and when you make it yourself you can add protein to it and you can control everything else that goes into it as well. I used sugar this time, but have had success with honey, maple syrup and agave nectar as well. I would refrain from using the artificial sweeteners, but that is your choice.
I first learned how to make yogurt from a video put up by Yankeeprepper as well as Michigansnowpony. They both inspired me to do it myself and I hope that I can inspire you to make your own now as well. I have posted links below to the other videos that were my inspiration.
Simple formula for this yogurt is as follows:
For each quart of milk you need 1/2 cup of dry milk and 1/3 cup of sweetener of your choice. If using agave nectar cut this amount in half and go by taste, you can always put more sweetener on the prepared yogurt when it is served, but you cannot take it out. ALSO: You can choose to leave the sweetener out all together should you wish to use this as a sour cream substitute or make yogurt cheese. I will show you how to do that in another video soon.
Bring the milk, sugar & dry milk and 1 tablespoon of gelatin (if you choose) to a temperature of 160 degrees, don't boil! Place into sterilized jars and allow to come down to 110 degrees. At this time add a heaping tablespoon full of yogurt, either store bought or your own. If using store bought yogurt, make sure that the label says "LIve" cultures otherwise your yogurt won't make yogurt. Stir this in well and cap your jars and set them to incubate for 8 to 10 hours then refrigerate and enjoy your homemade yogurt for breakfast with granola, fruit or in a smoothie.
I have also used organic milk and yogurt. My preference, I have never made it with anything else. If you go to all the trouble to make this from scratch, I feel like you should use the best ingredients.
I want to take a moment to explain why I did this. You all know that I try to make lots of things from scratch, yes it takes more time and yes it is more work, BUT, think about this, what if you could not get yogurt? What if some day we did not have access to things that we love? Some of you know that I talk about food storage a lot, something I believe in. Preparing for the unknown, whether it be unemployment, disaster, hurricane, etc. With dry milk, and time, you can make this. You can even buy yogurt cultures in a dry form, in a packet to keep on hand. This is something that my kids will eat. If we have a stressful situation, having something good to eat available, will be important because the last thing you want to worry about in a time of need is what you will be eating! Also, I feel like it is important to have homemaking skills that will help us all perform at the highest of our abilities should something go wrong. It also helps us to help others. We need to get back to simplicity. Alright, enough of my preaching.
I hope you try this and I hope you enjoy it! As always, Happy Eating!
Link to Yankeeprepper's yogurt video:
Michgansnowpony's yogurt video:
Standard YouTube License
- 13:36 Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness from Big Lots! Noreen's Kitchenby Noreens Kitchen Featured 17,546
- 27:11 Noreen's Homestead: Chicken Stock 101by Noreens Kitchen7,954 views
- 22:08 Noreen's Homestead: Canning Pepper Relish- The Return of the Pepper Queenby Noreens Kitchen11,680 views
- 21:40 Noreen's Homestead: Pressure Canning Homemade Spaghetti Sauceby Noreens Kitchen21,926 views
- 35:33 Bread & Butter Pickles Recipe Tutorial Start to Finish! Noreen's Kitchenby Noreens Kitchen26,055 views
- 4:39 How to Make Yogurt - Super Easy!!!by Miko3,278 views
- 6 videos Play all Yogurtby sgalxych
- 4:32 Crockpot Yogurtby theasuperstarr27,704 views
- 3:31 Easy Homemade Yogurt Recipeby betsyciao23,338 views
- 12:01 What's Cooking: Homemade Yogurtby Cindy Pearson27,544 views
- 10:41 Food Storage: How to make Yogurt and Cream Cheese from Dry Milkby BexarPrepper26,284 views
- 9:49 Easy Homemade Oven Yogurtby danrt50 .83,332 views
- 9:39 Making Yogurt at homeby bekajoi116,153 views
- 6:29 home made yogurtby taliesinlondon200946,665 views
- 15:43 Food Storage How-to Video: Making homemade yogurt with powdered milkby everydayfoodstorage15,190 views
- 9:52 How to Make Almond Milk Yogurt #542by Kevin Gianni57,555 views
- 7:54 Noreen's Kitchen: How to Make Sour Creamby Noreens Kitchen27,069 views
- 13:41 Noreen's Homestead: Homemade Ketchup, My 200th Video!by Noreens Kitchen22,451 views
- 1:31 How to Make Greek Yoghurtby MountainHighYoghurt30,455 views
- 7:06 How to Make Young Thai Coconut Yogurt #362by Kevin Gianni19,023 views