Gil creator Norm Feuti explores fertile ground in new comic! (Interview)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 16, 2012
Created and drawn by Norm Feuti, Gil is a comic strip centered around a chunky 8-year-old boy whose parents are divorced. It's a thoroughly modern take on family life that is drawn in classic comics style with a totally 2012 voice.
Gil struggles with school and his appetite. His 1960s-style mom --complete with polka-dot kerchief always holding back her hair -- balances the demands of being a single parent with sustaining a career. Dumping Gil's slovenly dad -- who the boy only sees on alternate weekends -- was the smartest thing she ever did. Oh, and did I mention that Gil's best friend, Sandra, is also the product of a broken home?
Maybe it doesn't sound like comedy gold the way I described it, but there is definitely a market for its style, tone and jokes. If Charles Schulz was starting out today, I suspect there would be threads of "Gil" in "Peanuts."
One other interesting note about "Gil." The strip actually started in 2008 as a web-only comic. Feuti abandoned it after about a year and a half before taking a second, successful run at print syndication in 2011.
What is Mr. Media® Interviews? The calm of Charlie Rose, the curiosity of Terry Gross and the unpredictability of Howard Stern! Exclusive Hollywood, celebrity, pop culture podcast interviews by Mr. Media®, a.k.a., Bob Andelman, with newsmakers in TV, radio, movies, music, magazines, newspapers, books, websites, social media, politics, sports, graphic novels, and comics! Now in its 5th year! Subscribe FREE on iTunes or mobile devices via the Stitcher app and never miss a show!
Watch or listen to more interviews like this one at http://www.mrmedia.com .
Download the free Mr. Media app for iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Palm Pre phones: http://bit.ly/y3M0tW
Or listen on Stitcher via your iPhone, Blackberry or Palm Pre: http://www.stitcher.com/mrmedia
Standard YouTube License
- 44:37 Movie role lets violinist Philippe Quint show off skills to new audiences! (Interview)by Bob AndelmanFeatured 406
- 24:10 Kenosha Festival of Cartooning Interviewsby talltaleradio's channel 432 views
- 8:45 Breaking the Silence: Children's Storiesby Dlasseur 34,931 views
- 28:42 Alan Moore on Comics The 9th Art, USA 1975-1985by Richard Herrero 8,861 views
- 9:38 Bruce Blitz How to Draw a COMIC STRIPby Bruce Blitz 98,062 views
- 19:06 Spain- underground comics book signing pt. 4by CosmicBrainTrust 126 views
- 5:35 A True Interview: Children of Divorceby skicrazii2 18,564 views
- 7:57 (1/5) Dave Kellett's "The Freeing of the Comics" Lectureby sheldoncomics.com 4,753 views
- 7:16 Comic Book Thumbnail lesson (Before you draw your actual pages)by Jason Dube 10,592 views
- 4:38 A Tribute to Norm Feuti's "Retail"by Mr. Coat 348 views
- 13:28 Comics on Film: March 1st 2011by ComicImpact 1,209 views
- 6:06 Interview with Peanuts Creator CHARLES SCHULZ (1984)by siffil8 38,428 views
- 3:21 Stripperella Comics - Officalby DeepcutMedia 1,260 views
- 51:05 Drew Friedman: How to draw caricatures, demonstration and interview!by Bob Andelman 1,487 views
- 2:37 Marania Feutiby nrjtahiti 887 views
- 39:26 Cartoonist Jonathan Mahood plugs in Bleeker: The Rechargeable Dog! (Interview)by Bob Andelman 298 views
- 5:02 Christopher Reeve - Superman 3D Tribute EXTENDEDby Francesco A 263,400 views
- 2:07 Children Of Divorce - Family Life Videoby Jason Intia 27,757 views
- 8:01 Frank Miller the interview part 1by Michael Phiveson 37,776 views
- 10:00 My Wasted Life - Matt Groening part 1by arizonabay 85,503 views
- Loading more suggestions...