FULL Sen.Ted Cruz Pulls All-Nighter in Senate Over Obamacare
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 25, 2013
Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has officially pulled an all-nighter in the U.S. Senate as he advocated for the defunding of Obamacare into the wee hours of the morning.
Wearing black tennis shoes for comfort, the Texas senator started speaking at 2:41 p.m. on Tuesday and continued for over 14 hours as of 5:00 a.m. this morning.
"I will say standing here after 14 hours, standing on your feet, there's sometimes some pain, sometimes some fatigue that is involved," Cruz said on the Senate floor. "But you know what? There's far more pain involved in rolling over...far more pain in hiding in the shadows, far more pain in not standing for principle, not standing for the good, not standing for integrity."
See Sen. Ted Cruz's Most Memorable Lines in His Attack of Obamacare
Senate rules require Cruz to stand throughout his speech but allow him to yield to questions from other senators. Several Republican senators, including Sens. Mike Lee, R-Utah, Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Marco Rubio, R-Fla., helped Cruz with his speech at various points throughout the night. Even Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Tim Kaine, D-Va., chimed in with questions for the Texas senator.
Around 3:33 a.m. this morning, Cruz beat the record for the longest speech this year, a record previously held by Paul, who filibustered the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director for 12 hours and 52 minutes last March. After the House of Representatives passed a continuing resolution, which strips Obamacare of its funding last week, Cruz vowed to use every procedural measure possible, including a filibuster, to keep the Senate from restoring the funding.
But Cruz's overnight speech is technically not a filibuster and won't do much to delay or prevent the votes. The Senate is operating in "auto-pilot" mode and will hold its first procedural vote on the continuing resolution later this afternoon.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is expected to introduce an amendment at some point which will restore the funding of Obamacare to the continuing resolution. A final vote on passage of the stop-gap spending measure is expected to come late Sunday if all the time for debate is used. This leaves the House of Representatives with less than a day to work on the continuing resolution before the Oct. 1 deadline at which point the government would shut down.
Cruz has used his marathon session to make the case for why the Affordable Care Act should be defunded in the continuing resolution. He has repeatedly called Obamacare a "train wreck" and read tweets from constituents praising him for his commitment to the issue.
But at times, his speech has turning playful as he read his daughters a bedtime story through C-SPAN.
"I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am," Cruz said quoting Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham."
Cruz even quoted popular television show "Duck Dynasty" and the lyrics of Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue."
"Jeff said 'Faith, family and facial hair,'" Cruz said as he quoted "Duck Dynasty." "I point out to the junior senator from Utah, if we continue doing this long enough, we may have facial hair on the floor of the Senate."
Standard YouTube License
- 11:45 Jon Stewart on Ted Cruz marathon speechby Wacky Racer21,612 views
- 10:32 Jon Stewart Class Warfareby Daniel Mainville27,676 views
- 5:48 Jon Stewart Savages Ted Cruz For Possible Presidential Run:Why Limit Yourself To Being Hatedby MoveHitVideo814 views
- 10:24 Sen. Ted Cruz Dismantles Assault Weapons Ban at Gun Control Hearingby chris wigtion6,569 views
- 5:48 Jon Stewart Savages Ted Cruz For Possible Presidential Run:Why Limit Yourself To Being Hatedby HerTeldenXD3,359 views
- 10:48 SENADOR TED CRUZ Reads Dr Seuss 'Green Eggs And Ham' On The Floor Of The Senate!by Brunna Souza528 views
- 48:48 George Galloway BLISTERING ATTACK on the U.S. SENATEby molucca Red166,671 views
- 13:39 Ted Cruz Defends Defunding ObamaCare in Filibusterby Lord Rothschild360 views
- 9:22 New York Vs. Chicago Pizza - Jon Stewart Responds To Epic Pizza Feud Segment - 11-20-2013by GetOn26,124 views
- 3:22 Funniest Liberal Gaffesby Conservative Wiki89,567 views
- 13:32 TED CRUZ vs DIANNE FEINSTEIN "It's Fine You Want To Lecture Me On The Constitution"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M34,912 views
- 1:12 The Kennedy's (2011) - JFK assassination sceneby indylover201047,631 views
- 1:24:54 The Kennedy Assassination - Beyond Conspiracyby NGT1974139,881 views
- 9:46 Ted Cruz Takes One Last Stand Against 'Terrible Deal' Before Senate Vote October 16, 2013by JonStewartKnows143 views
- 17:47 Senator Ted Cruz smacks down Chuck Schumer on gun violence - Meet the Press meets the factsby Freedom Tracker162,479 views
- 6:55 Piers Morgan Live; gun controlby TheJagman197168,201 views
- 8:59 Ted Cruz and David Dewhurst Debate Highlightsby The Texas Tribune6,818 views
- 8:21 Senator Ted Cruz Talks About Clash With Feinstein on Gun Ban - Neil Cavuto - 3/15/13by MichaelSavage4Prez6,891 views
- 39:24 Senator Rand Paul discusses individualism, freedom, and national security on Uncommon Knowledgeby HooverInstitution33,366 views
- 6:17 BLOWOUT! Ted Cruz vs. Dianne Feinstein ᴴᴰby djgabrielpresents53,906 views
- Loading more suggestions...