U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemns anti-Islam video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 13, 2012
Speaking at a press conference on September 13, 2012, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemned violence in Egypt, Libya and Yemen and described an anti-Islam film posted on YouTube as "disgusting."
SECRETARY CLINTON: Good morning. Well, let me welcome our friends and colleagues from Morocco here to the Benjamin Franklin Room on the eighth floor of the State Department for this very important first session of the U.S.-Morocco Strategic Dialogue. Before I begin to address the significance of this Strategic Dialogue and the next step in our long relations with Morocco, I want to say a few words about the events unfolding in the world today.
We are closely watching what is happening in Yemen and elsewhere, and we certainly hope and expect that there will be steps taken to avoid violence and prevent the escalation of protests into violence.
I also want to take a moment to address the video circulating on the internet that has led to these protests in a number of countries. Let me state very clearly -- and I hope it is obvious -- that the United States Government had absolutely nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and message. America's commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. And as you know, we are home to people of all religions, many of whom came to this country seeking the right to exercise their own religion, including, of course, millions of Muslims. And we have the greatest respect for people of faith.
To us, to me personally, this video is disgusting and reprehensible. It appears to have a deeply cynical purpose: to denigrate a great religion and to provoke rage. But as I said yesterday, there is no justification, none at all, for responding to this video with violence. We condemn the violence that has resulted in the strongest terms, and we greatly appreciate that many Muslims in the United States and around the world have spoken out on this issue.
Violence, we believe, has no place in religion and is no way to honor religion. Islam, like other religions, respects the fundamental dignity of human beings, and it is a violation of that fundamental dignity to wage attacks on innocents. As long as there are those who are willing to shed blood and take innocent life in the name of religion, the name of God, the world will never know a true and lasting peace. It is especially wrong for violence to be directed against diplomatic missions. These are places whose very purpose is peaceful: to promote better understanding across countries and cultures. All governments have a responsibility to protect those spaces and people, because to attack an embassy is to attack the idea that we can work together to build understanding and a better future.
Now, I know it is hard for some people to understand why the United States cannot or does not just prevent these kinds of reprehensible videos from ever seeing the light of day. Now, I would note that in today's world with today's technologies, that is impossible. But even if it were possible, our country does have a long tradition of free expression which is enshrined in our Constitution and our law, and we do not stop individual citizens from expressing their views no matter how distasteful they may be.
There are, of course, different views around the world about the outer limits of free speech and free expression, but there should be no debate about the simple proposition that violence in response to speech is not acceptable. We all -- whether we are leaders in government, leaders in civil society or religious leaders -- must draw the line at violence. And any responsible leader should be standing up now and drawing that line.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:29 Who's Behind The "Innocence of Muslims" Filmby The Young Turks Featured 298,652
- 1:30:17 Hillary Clinton Exposed, Movie She Banned From Theaters - Fullby stopYOURdumshyt147,245 views
- 39:58 Man on the Land and The Secretary of Stateby republicusagold18,892 views
- 4:08 Former Christian Youth Minister (Now Muslim) Lies About The Bible!by ActionHeroClowns4,139 views
- 12:14 Murder Of Chris Stevens In Benghazi Attack Ordered By American Military Leadership, Possibly Obamaby HistoricalRecordsVLT24,723 views
- 9:47 Hillary Clinton Bio - From 1994 Pt.1by MadamePrez0828,035 views
- 15:27 Proof the quran copied from the Jewish Talmud | allah swears by created things!by Crusader8783,470 views
- 6:16 Hillary Clinton, Benghazi "What's The Difference?" Four Dead Americansby joe jetson27,747 views
- 11:01 WHOA, SERIOUSLY?! ... Beck: murdered Ambassador Stevens was involved in gun-running to Al Qaedaby ataxin17,039 views
- 6:13 Rand Paul Destroys Hillary Clinton Over Benghazi-Gate During Capitol Hill Press Conferenceby Mat Larson225,385 views
- 7:58 'Anti-Islam movie, a declaration of war'by PressTVGlobalNews69,930 views
- 6:37 Benghazi First Criminal Charges Filed Fox Newsby Brenda Battle- Jordan10,637 views
- 9:23 Hillary Clinton condemns Libya embassy attack [RAW VIDEO]by globalnational17,125 views
- 4:31 اروع الاغاني الليبية libya musicby che khaled233,483 views
- 15:01 Innocents of Muslimsby Kehuffman215,481 views
- 11:50 US Ambassador Death in Libya: Hillary Clinton Speech - Christopher Stevens' Death 'Should Shock'by ABC News23,429 views
- 3:19 TWW: Santos second offer of Secretary of State to Vinickby Damian Gordon23,452 views
- 8:41 The plan to move "BLACK" people to AFRICA!!!by REYZ OF ABUNDANCE13,412 views
- 1:26:30 Keynote Remarks by Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton @ Greenbuild 2013by USGBC (U.S. Green Building Council)368 views
- 5:49 Ron Paul Didn't Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton - 4/22/2009by RonPaul.com988,600 views
- Loading more suggestions...