A Drive Through Cape Breton Highway 105 (Natalie MacMaster David's Jig )
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 19, 2008
A Drive Through Cape Breton In A Tractor Trailer Highway 105 April 17 2008 Music By Natalie MacMaster David's Jig
Cape Breton Island (French: île du Cap-Breton - formerly île Royale, Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Cheap Breatuinn, Míkmaq: Únamakika, simply: Cape Breton) is an island on the Atlantic coast of North America. It likely corresponds to the French word "Breton", referring to Brittany.
Cape Breton Island is part of the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. Although physically separated from the Nova Scotia peninsula by the Strait of Canso, it is artificially connected to mainland Nova Scotia by the Canso Causeway. The island is located east-northeast of the mainland with its northern and western coasts fronting on the Gulf of St. Lawrence; its western coast also forming the eastern limits of the Northumberland Strait. The eastern and southern coasts front the Atlantic Ocean; its eastern coast also forming the western limits of the Cabot Strait. Its landmass slopes upward from south to north, culminating in the highlands of its northern cape. A saltwater estuary, Bras d'Or Lake, dominates the centre of the island.
The island is divided into four of Nova Scotia's eighteen counties: Cape Breton, Inverness, Richmond, and Victoria. Their total population as of the 2001 census numbered 147,454 "Cape Bretoners"; this is approximately 16% of the provincial population. Cape Breton Island has experienced a decline in population of approximately 6.8% since the previous census in 1996. Approximately 72% of the island's population is located in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) which includes all of Cape Breton County and is often referred to as Industrial Cape Breton, given the history of coal mining and steel manufacturing in this area.
The island contains five reserves of the Mi'kmaq Nation, these being: Eskasoni, Membertou, Wagmatcook, We'kopaq/Waycobah, and Potlotek/Chapel Island. Eskasoni is the largest in both population and land area.
The island measures 10,311 square kilometres in area (3,981 sq mi), making it the 75th largest island in the world and Canada's 18th largest island. Cape Breton Island is composed mainly of rocky shores, rolling farmland, glacial valleys, barren headlands, mountains, woods and plateaus. Geological evidence suggests that at least part of the island was originally joined with present-day Scotland and Norway, now separated by millions of years of continental drift.
The northern portion of Cape Breton Island is dominated by the Cape Breton Highlands, commonly shortened to simply the "Highlands", which are an extension of the Appalachian mountain chain. The Highlands comprise the northern portions of Inverness and Victoria counties. In 1936 the federal government established the Cape Breton Highlands National Park covering 949 km2 (366 sq mi) across the northern third of the Highlands. The Cabot Trail scenic highway also encircles the coastal perimeter of the plateau.
Cape Breton Island's hydrological features include the Bras d'Or Lake system, a salt-water fjord at the heart of the island, and freshwater features including Lake Ainslie, the Margaree River system, and the Mira River. Innumerable smaller rivers and streams drain into the Bras d'Or Lake estuary and onto the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Atlantic coasts.
Cape Breton Island is joined to the mainland by the Canso Causeway, which was completed in 1955, enabling direct road and rail traffic to and from the island, but requiring marine traffic to pass through the Canso Canal at the eastern end of the causeway.
Cape Breton Island is divided into four counties: Cape Breton, Inverness, Richmond, and Victoria.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "David's Jig" on
- 5:44 Cape Breton Tear Jerkerby caperboyjimmyFeatured 166,961
- 5:36 Margaree flood 2010by Jimmie Møller Pedersen 3,076 views
- 4:49 A Drive Through Cape Breton Highway 104 ( The Corrs Dreams)by Buddy Penney 7,139 views
- 4:46 Natalie MacMaster & Bela Fleck at Glencoe Mills, Cape Breton, 2006by EatonCreative 30,205 views
- 4:16 Cape Breton-Home of our heartsby corinne1962 36,837 views
- 33 videos Play all Maratime Songsby goldenplan
- 4:14 Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy live at Hugh's Room Oct 7, 2011by Hughsroom 27,224 views
- Cape Breton Island 5,275 videos17
- 3:54 Cape Breton Driveby zoomzoommag 5,270 views
- 3:27 Orangedale,Grand Narrows,Iona Cape Breton NS(The Rankins Orangedale Whistle)Aug 5/09by Buddy Penney 8,664 views
- 19:34 BACH - Cello Suite N° 1 in D - JOHN FEELEY guitarby Riccardo d'Alterio 6,292 views
- 8:34 Cape Breton Rita MacNeil She's Called Nova Scotia And Farwell To Nova Scotia (June 21/09)by Buddy Penney 23,889 views
- 3:50 Natalie MacMaster Fiddleby Peter Corfield 22,056 views
- 3:45 Cape Breton,Nova Scotiaby roadwarrior3204 34,841 views
- 2:44 Tri Nova Scotia Celtic Fiddle Dance Story & Songby ceolach 1,941,199 views
- 4:29 Mythos Icarusby Drakavaidotcom 5,429 views
- 1:56 Snow Crabbing in Inverness Cape Breton Nova Scotiaby Don Green 2,137 views
- 5:16 Natalie McMaster & Bruce Guthro - fiddle e bow.aviby Francesco Campanile 22,732 views
- 10:57 Driving the Cabot Trail (Trunk 30), Cape Breton, Nova Scotiaby CptSchmidt 2,850 views
- 2:35 7 Year Old Fiddler Laura Watson Part 1by Kelly Mercer 599,735 views
- 3:27 Baddeck Nova Scotia (July 11/09) Terry Kelly In My Fathers Houseby Buddy Penney 6,124 views
- 2:21 CTV: Cape Breton coyote attack kills touring folk singerby burghnews 8,637 views
- Loading more suggestions...