Uploaded on Jun 18, 2011
Salafi Bilal Philips Claims about Hamza Yusuf, Nuh Keller, Tawassul, and Islamic Sufism
In this episode of the Spirit of Islam, we we will be discussing some of the claims made by the Salafi, Dr. Bilal Philips, in the series he entitled "Foundations of Islamic Studies".
And while the Salafis point their attacks on the followers of Sufism, or Islamic spirituality, but Sufis are first and foremost, followers of 1 of the 4 Mathaheb (Islamic schools of thought).
1) The first point of disagreement between the Salafis and the 4 Mathaheb is who Muslims should trust in seeking ilm (knowledge about Sharia).
2) The second point of disagreement between the Salafis and the 4 Mathaheb is whether Muslims are still allowed to ask for Prophet Muhammad's intercession (tawassul) after his death (pbuh).
Full References in English and Arabic are available http://www.muhaddith.org/islamicvideo...
* (the hadith of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) teaching tawassul is not in the video, so we have added it here)
"The prayer: O Allah I ask you, and turn to You by Your Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy; O Muhammad! I have turned to my Lord by you in this request of mine, O Allah make him intercede for me"
- Tirmithi, Hadeeth Hasan Saheeh
* (the proof that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) died a martyt is not in the video, so we have added it here)
"...to add to the rank of Prophecy the level of martyrdom, and not to miss (any) honor, for this reason, Ibn Masood and others say he (ie, Prophet Muhammad) died a martyr from that poison..."
- Faid al Qadeer, Imam al Munawee
* (the examples of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) singling out companions for various fields is not in the video, so we have added it here)
"The best judge among you is Ali", "The best reciter among you is Ubay", "The most knowledgeable in inheritance law among you is Zayd", "Omar said 'Zayd (ibn Thabet) made a declaration about the grandfather and I have established it' " - Fath al Bari
"Ibn Sa'd transmitted with a Sahih chain, he said: Zayd ibn Thabit was one of those providing fatwa, and they are six, Omar, Ali, Ibn Masood, Ubay, Abu Moosa, and Zayd ibn Thabit" - Al Isaba by Ibn Hajar
dr bilal philips salafi salafiya bida bid'a shirk sheikh hamza yusuf sanad muttasel chain of authority nuh keller tawassul intercession sufi sufism tasawwuf prophet muhammad quran sunnah salaf saleh