How to Detect Pseudoscience: The Case of Bill McKibben and Catastrophic Global Warming
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 29, 2012
Bill McKibben's recent article, "The Terrifying New Math of Global Warming", has caused a sensation on the Internet. Typical coverage is the Huffington Post's awestruck "McKibben's Climate Change Masterpiece Is Strictly by the Numbers".
My colleague, physicist Eric Dennis and I read the piece and we both judged it as incontrovertible pseudo-science, skewed from beginning to end by the author's anti-industrial ideology. We could have done a point-by-point dissection of the piece (actually, CIP's researchers already have, and we will probably post it later).
But the problem with this piece, and the rave reviews and superficial opposition it's getting, is not any given fact or inference.
The problem that makes McKibben's piece possible is that Americans have never been taught to distinguish science from pseudoscience--how to think critically about scientific claims.
So on this episode of Power Hour, Dr. Dennis and I discuss the three questions you need to ask about any scientific claim you hear. Making a lesson out of McKibben, we explain that if you ask these questions of McKibben's piece (and most of what you read on climate) its claims of catastrophe are revealed to be baseless while its prescribed solutions are revealed to be catastrophic.
Don't believe me? Watch and find out. Stick around until the end, when we offer McKibben McKibben and anyone he chooses $10,000 to debate us at Duke University.
Bill McKibben famously said that if the (economically vital) Keystone XL Pipeline was allowed to exist, it was "game over" for the planet. We believe this episode is "game over" for Bill McKibben.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:39 George Carlin on Global Warmingby http://www.youtube.com/user/FluorideIsBadForYouFeatured 540,320
- 1:38:05 McKibben vs. Epstein Debate on Fossil Fuels -- Full Audioby Center for Industrial Progress 6,496 views
- 1:20:22 LSE and Alexandr Duginby Социум ТВ 1,462 views
- 2:28 Debate: McKibben vs Epsteinby ImproveThePlanet 4,304 views
- 1:30:25 Bill McKibben: EAARTH: Making a Life on a Tough New Planetby dominicanpenguins 6,663 views
- 43:58 Time Commanders - Battle of Stamford Bridgeby BloodiestMargie's channel 60,985 views
- 1:05:32 Bill McKibben: Live at Amherst Collegeby AmherstMedia 437 views
- 44:09 The Russian Mafia: A World Historyby mmibooks Channel 871,104 views
- 1:03:24 Climate Science Debate : Global Warming Alarmist VS. Global Warming Skepticby CheckThrice2 14,618 views
- 1:15:57 El Gran Fraude del Calentamiento Global (Doblado al Español y con Subtítulos en partes Censuradas)by Infórmate - Debate - Protesta 322,262 views
- 1:03:06 Power Hour: "I had a Green Job" with Deborah Sloanby ImproveThePlanet 812 views
- 35:20 How Coal Improves Our Environment by Alex Epsteinby ImproveThePlanet 2,144 views
- 25:13 Inside Story Americas - Extreme weather: Linked to climate change?by AlJazeeraEnglish 8,172 views
- 19:32 Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deceptionby TEDTalks 226,601 views
- 16:22 Bill McKibben on Sandy and Climate Change: "If There Was Ever A Wake-up Call, This Is It"by democracynow 7,262 views
- 2:11 North Koreans Chant 'Death to US Imperialists' at Mass Rallyby ABCNews 19,152 views
- 10:59 The Best Sexy Girl Vanessa Hessler..by ykbond007's channel 67,307,857 views
- 5:29 Hansen Corrects BBC on Climate Warmingby greenmanbucket's channel 3,006 views
- 8:37 How to stop being jealous and ruining your relationshipby puppetcuttingstrings 30,888 views
- 15:00 Mickey Mantle Interview by Bob Costasby Randall Swearingen 77,707 views
- Loading more suggestions...