Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us (Part 1)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 2, 2007
VVH-TV News Special
Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us? Part 1
Karl Grossman Chief Investigative Reporter examines Organic Farming on Eastern Long Island.
What is organic farming?
Organic farming can be defined as an approach to agriculture where the aim is to create integrated, humane, environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural production systems. Maximum reliance is placed on locally or farm-derived renewable resources and the management of self-regulating ecological and biological processes and interactions in order to provide acceptable levels of crop, livestock and human nutrition, protection from pests and diseases, and an appropriate return to the human and other resources employed. Reliance on external inputs, whether chemical or organic, is reduced as far as possible. In many European countries, organic agriculture is known as ecological agriculture, reflecting this reliance on ecosystem management rather than external inputs.
The objective of sustainability lies at the heart of organic farming and is one of the major factors determining the acceptability or otherwise of specific production practices. The term 'sustainable' is used in its widest sense, to encompass not just conservation of non-renewable resources (soil, energy, minerals) but also issues of environmental, economic and social sustainability. The term 'organic' is best thought of as referring to the concept of the farm as an organism, in which all the component parts - the soil minerals, organic matter, micro-organisms, insects, plants, animals and humans - interact to create a coherent and stable whole.
The key characteristics of organic farming include:
protecting the long term fertility of soils by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity, and careful mechanical intervention;
providing crop nutrients indirectly using relatively insoluble nutrient sources which are made available to the plant by the action of soil micro-organisms;
nitrogen self-sufficiency through the use of legumes and biological nitrogen fixation, as well as effective recycling of organic materials including crop residues and livestock manures;
weed, disease and pest control relying primarily on crop rotations, natural predators, diversity, organic manuring, resistant varieties and limited (preferably minimal) thermal, biological and chemical intervention;
the extensive management of livestock, paying full regard to their evolutionary adaptations, behavioural needs and animal welfare issues with respect to nutrition, housing, health, breeding and rearing;
careful attention to the impact of the farming system on the wider environment and the conservation of wildlife and natural habitats.
(c) WVVH-TV 2007 all rights reserved
Standard YouTube License
- 24:57 Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us? (Part 2)by VVHTV26,716 views
- 27:54 Four Acres and Independence - A Self-Sufficient Farmsteadby peakmoment377,329 views
- 48:39 Farm for the Future - BBC Dokumentary 2009!by 10374d90,891 views
- 7:56 Organic Dairyman: Director's Cutby Cooking Up a Story72,992 views
- 43:45 Gary Null - Sustainable Organic Farming in Floridaby Gary Null24,051 views
- 103 videos Play all Organic gardening and Farmingby organiclifestyle
- 28:53 Self-sufficient Small Farmsby peakmoment258,913 views
- 5:06 PUNTOS DE RASTREOby Biomagnetismo Medico96,209 views
- 22:22 The Great Laws of Nature: Indigenous Organic Agriculture Documentaryby GetRealMusic158,289 views
- 10:12 Bette & Dale's Farm Part 1: Organic Produceby Harbor Publishing25,688 views
- 10:01 A Farm for the Future 01by withDefiance193,381 views
- 8:51 How to get rid of weeds in organic farmingby Farming Secrets32,660 views
- 7:44 How to Identify GMOs Sold in Whole Foods Marketby Alexis Baden-Mayer92,629 views
- 7:15 Cornish Voices Organic farming series 3by CornishVoices40,248 views
- 5:57 Farms of the Futureby NRDCflix269,451 views
- 29:01 Polyface Farm Pt.1by Frank Melli214,167 views
- 2:18 profit: organic farming vs. permaculture farmingby paul wheaton37,613 views
- 22:14 jairo restrepo FUNDAMENTO DE LA Agricultura Organicaby bosquedeconocimiento5,822 views
- 2:27 Rota Gardenby Teruo Miyagawa452,357 views
- 8:39 Back Yard Farmingby Ty Parkin150,485 views