Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us (Part 1)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 2, 2007
VVH-TV News Special
Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us? Part 1
Karl Grossman Chief Investigative Reporter examines Organic Farming on Eastern Long Island.
What is organic farming?
Organic farming can be defined as an approach to agriculture where the aim is to create integrated, humane, environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural production systems. Maximum reliance is placed on locally or farm-derived renewable resources and the management of self-regulating ecological and biological processes and interactions in order to provide acceptable levels of crop, livestock and human nutrition, protection from pests and diseases, and an appropriate return to the human and other resources employed. Reliance on external inputs, whether chemical or organic, is reduced as far as possible. In many European countries, organic agriculture is known as ecological agriculture, reflecting this reliance on ecosystem management rather than external inputs.
The objective of sustainability lies at the heart of organic farming and is one of the major factors determining the acceptability or otherwise of specific production practices. The term 'sustainable' is used in its widest sense, to encompass not just conservation of non-renewable resources (soil, energy, minerals) but also issues of environmental, economic and social sustainability. The term 'organic' is best thought of as referring to the concept of the farm as an organism, in which all the component parts - the soil minerals, organic matter, micro-organisms, insects, plants, animals and humans - interact to create a coherent and stable whole.
The key characteristics of organic farming include:
protecting the long term fertility of soils by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity, and careful mechanical intervention;
providing crop nutrients indirectly using relatively insoluble nutrient sources which are made available to the plant by the action of soil micro-organisms;
nitrogen self-sufficiency through the use of legumes and biological nitrogen fixation, as well as effective recycling of organic materials including crop residues and livestock manures;
weed, disease and pest control relying primarily on crop rotations, natural predators, diversity, organic manuring, resistant varieties and limited (preferably minimal) thermal, biological and chemical intervention;
the extensive management of livestock, paying full regard to their evolutionary adaptations, behavioural needs and animal welfare issues with respect to nutrition, housing, health, breeding and rearing;
careful attention to the impact of the farming system on the wider environment and the conservation of wildlife and natural habitats.
(c) WVVH-TV 2007 all rights reserved
Standard YouTube License
- 24:57 Organic Farming: Can It Feed Us? (Part 2)by VVHTV 25,587 views
- 43:45 Gary Null - Sustainable Organic Farming in Floridaby Gary Null 15,394 views
- 25:53 An Experiment in Back Yard Sustainabilityby peakmoment 245,461 views
- 4:35 The Faces of "Free-Range" Farmingby peacefulprairie 94,670 views
- 8:51 How to get rid of weeds in organic farmingby farmingsecrets 31,561 views
- Organic farming 16,431 videos27
- 6:52 Organic Farming in Nepalby USCCanada 10,844 views
- 5:50 Kitchen Garden Farmby Podchef 212,954 views
- 7:56 Off-Grid Farmingby orcapod 106,938 views
- 13:26 Zero Budget Farming A case Study0707091001DVB SNew Schedule Segment100 11 53 00 25 18by kmoksha 25,793 views
- 2:14 Organic Farmingby itsyournature 175,232 views
- 5:57 Farms of the Futureby NRDCflix 240,381 views
- 8:39 Back Yard Farmingby Ty Parkin 120,453 views
- 3:29 The Truth about Organic Foodby Price Pottenger 201,120 views
- 8:48 Improve soil fertility in your food garden with a green manure cropby 12peterkk 50,623 views
- 10:01 A Farm for the Future 01by withDefiance 186,163 views
- 9:00 Micro Farm "GROW" Backyard Farmby finalcutproguy 49,168 views
- 2:18 profit: organic farming vs. permaculture farmingby paulwheaton12 33,224 views
- 28:53 Self-sufficient Small Farmsby peakmoment 230,868 views
- 29:01 Polyface Farm Pt.1by piucaprim 188,101 views
- 11:34 organic/natural farming: sunshine free-range/pastured chickenby Mag-Agri Tayo 96,898 views
- Loading more suggestions...