Tortured for Testimony: Anarchists Get Solitary Confinement for Not Snitching
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 9, 2013
"You have to be strong. The only thing you do all day is just not break," says Katherine "KteeO" Olejnik, on her two month detention in solitary confinement.
In September 2012, KteeO and her colleague, Matthew Duran, were imprisoned and sent to solitary confinement at Seattle Federal Detention Center for refusing to testify in front of a grand jury. They weren't being tried for any crime, but refused to testify because of their political ideals.
"From the get-go, I never had any intention of being used as an instrument by the federal government," says Duran.
"If I would have testified and something that I had said would have put someone in prison and taken them away from their family, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself," adds Olejnik.
What heinous crime could justify the use of solitary confinement to get KteeO and Matt to cooperate?
In this case, it was a few acts of vandalism during a May Day protest last year.
"It was a largely peaceful protest but there was a small contingent who were dressed in black and they were covering their faces, and they caused damage to the federal courthouse and also to some nearby businesses," says Olejnik's attorney Jenn Kaplan.
The suspects are alleged to be a group of anarchists, as are KteeO and Matt. Matt and KteeO believe they were brought in to testify based solely on their shared political beliefs with the suspects, and that the FBI is on a witch hunt to track down political dissenters.
Because grand juries are extremely secretive and there is very little transparency, the court would not release any information on the proceedings or the prosecution.
"If you're not willing to cooperate with a grand jury's investigation, no matter how illegitimate it seems, you can go to jail for a very long time," says Kaplan, "and not just to jail, but it seems that the Bureau of Prisons can put you in solitary confinement for extended periods without having to justify its decision to anyone. And this could happen to any US citizen."
Were Matt and KateeO tortured for their testimony? They sure think so.
"Just the idea of locking someone up for days, weeks, months—and never letting them out—anybody that thinks would know that this is a form of torture," says Duran.
Margaret Chen, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, notes that you can see the physiological and psychological effects of solitary confinement in as little as seven days, and they may include sleep deprivation, withdrawal, depression, anxiety, uncontrolled rage, suicidal thoughts and self-mutilation.
Using solitary confinement for convicted felons is controversial enough, but in this case the imprisonment was a form of coercion. The judge only released Matt and KteeO after concluding that they would not break their resolve under the harshest of circumstances.
About 7 minutes.
Written and produced by Tracy Oppenheimer; camera by Zach Weissmueller.
Go to http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/04/09... for downloadable versions and subscribe to ReasonTV's YouTube Channel to receive notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:55 Testing Explosives from The Anarchist Cookbookby VICE Featured 788,913
- 49:28 Torture -The Guantanamo Guidebookby bumba claat1,052,629 views
- 44:55 The Documentary - Torture Devicesby Gereyalamadalamisial181,274 views
- 44:08 Prison Life : Stuck in Solitaryby BigBoyTube17,170 views
- 44:05 Hardest Prisons: Predators - The Most Disturbing Inmates (Prison Documentary)by CrimeFilez275,518 views
- 49:57 Hardest Prisons: Gang Wars Behind Bars (Crime Documentary)by CrimeFilez189,991 views
- 9:00 This Is Anarchism (In 10 Minutes)by Tahrir ICN32,825 views
- 8:50 Leonard Peltier in Solitary Confinementby Leonard Peltier Defense Committee48,716 views
- 33:17 ¿Que es el Anarquismo? documentalby paulvanjaff21,920 views
- 46:56 Hardest Prisons: Wayne County Female Jail (Prison Documentary)by CrimeFilez946,850 views
- 30:06 FULL 30MIN video of inmate drug use, gun in Orleans Parish Prison cell releasedby Matthew Wright163,725 views
- 45:44 Hardest Prisons: Female Convicts - Documentaryby CrimeUncovered221,750 views
- 44:05 Hardest Prisons of the World 01 - Documentaryby DocumentationsForYou478,067 views
- 3:06:59 Jodi Arias Trial: Day 19 : Arias' Testimony About Killing (No Sidebars)by David Lohr32,332 views
- 1:21:41 The Tortured 2010 (full Movie)by TheDarkCloudDemon460,624 views
- 57:14 The Free Voice of Labor - The Jewish Anarchistsby bumba claat3,212 views
- 1:08:22 Unconstitutional - The War on Our Civil Libertiesby MasterpieceConCen28,099 views
- 7:48 Activist state that Solitary Confinement in Pelican Bay SHU program is Tortureby streetgangs2,077 views
- 1:03:52 10 Amazing Christian Testimonies (1)by Spiritlessons106,762 views
- 41:16 Gangs in Prison | National Geographic Documentaryby DocumentaryHD22,140,152 views
- Loading more suggestions...