Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss: Something from Nothing, at ANU
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
*edit* Professor Lawrence Krauss will be examining the history of the universe...so far at ANU on 30 July 2013. For more information visit http://greateststoryevertold.eventbri...
Critically-acclaimed author and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and world-renowned theoretical physicist and author Lawrence Krauss discuss biology, cosmology, religion, and a host of other topics at this event entitled 'Something for Nothing'. This video was recorded at The Australian National University on 10 April 2012.
Richard Dawkins FRS is the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford. Born in British colonial Africa, he was educated in England, where he now lives. He did his doctorate at Oxford under the Nobel Prize winning zoologist Niko Tinbergen, then was briefly an Assistant Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, from 1967 to 1969, after which he returned to Oxford, first as a Lecturer in Zoology, then Reader, before being elected to his present professorship.
He is the author of nine books: The Selfish Gene (1976, 2nd Ed 1989), The Extended Phenotype (1982), The Blind Watchmaker (1986), River Out of Eden (1995), Climbing Mount Improbable (1996), Unweaving the Rainbow (1998), A Devil's Chaplain (2003), The Ancestor's Tale (2004) and The God Delusion (2006). The God Delusion has sold more than two million copies in English, and is being published in 30 other languages. Dawkins is now editing an anthology of scientific writing for Oxford University Press, The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing. In 2006, to promote the values of education, science, and critical thinking skills, he established The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS) which is now a registered charity in both the UK and USA.
Richard Dawkins has Honorary Doctorates of Literature as well as Science, and is a Fellow of both the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Literature. He has been awarded the Silver Medal of the Zoological Society of London, the Michael Faraday Award of the Royal Society, the Nakayama Prize, the Cosmos International Prize, the Kistler Prize, the Shakespeare Prize and the Lewis Thomas Prize.
Lawrence M. Krauss is a renowned cosmologist and science populariser, and is Foundation Professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration, and director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University. Hailed by Scientific American as a rare public intellectual, he is also the author of more than three hundred scientific publications and nine books, including the international bestseller, The Physics of Star Trek, and his most recent bestseller entitled A Universe from Nothing.
He received his PhD from MIT in 1982 and then joined the Society of Fellows at Harvard, and was a professor at Yale University and Chair of the Physics Department at Case Western Reserve University before taking his present position. Internationally known for his work in theoretical physics, he is the winner of numerous international awards, and is the only physicist to have received major awards from all three US physics societies, the American Physical Society, the American Institute of Physics, and the American Association of Physics Teachers. Krauss is also a commentator and essayist for newspapers such as the New York Times, and the Wall St. Journal, and has written regular columns for New Scientist and Scientific American and appears regularly on radio and television. He is one of the few scientists to have crossed the chasm between science and popular culture, and is also active in issues of science and society. He serves as co-chair of the Board of Sponsors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, and on the Board of Directors of the Federation of American Scientists.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:08:04 Black Holes and Galaxies: Professor Reinhard Genzel at ANU, July 2009by ANUchannel134,255 views
- 1:05:56 'The greatest unsolved mysteries of the universe': Dr Paul Francis at ANU, March 2010by ANUchannel795,566 views
- 57:22 NASA: The next great chapter of exploration - Charles Frank Bolden Jrby ANUchannel3,103 views
- 1:07:17 Dr Ben Wellings - RMS Titanic and Europe on the eve of the Great War, at ANUby ANUchannel1,096 views
- 2:11:24 The Big Debates: Islam or Atheism - Which Makes More Sense? Lawrence Krauss & Hamza Tzortzisby iERAuk366,134 views
- 1:17:11 Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins on Morality and Scienceby FlyingFree333251,916 views
- 1:17:13 The Poetry of Science: Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tysonby Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science683,783 views
- 2:00:23 SOMETHING FROM NOTHING ? [OFFICIAL] Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss [HD] 02-04-12by ShirleyFilms916,174 views
- 1:00:30 Full 2012 Atheism Debate HD, Richard Dawkins vs Cardinal George Pell. From Q and A.by Hayden Wicks319,785 views
- 1:45:18 Lawrence Krauss discussion with Richard Dawkins - Completeby Ali Shariat31,143 views
- 1:12:14 Richard Dawkins & Daniel Dennett. Oxford, 9 May 2012by Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science143,591 views
- 58:05 The Four Horsemen HD: Hour 1 of 2 - Discussions with Richard Dawkins, Ep 1by Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science636,557 views
- 1:33:42 The God Delusionby ScientificUnity573,586 views
- 57:24 The Unbelievers Documentaryby ShockOfChrist24,576 views
- Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science 200 videos162K
- 1:56:20 Daniel Dennett, Lawrence Krauss and Massimo Pigliucci discuss The Limits Of Science @ Het Denkgelagby het denkgelag23,645 views
- 50:28 The Big Bang - Lawrence Krauss and Michio Kakuby Muon Ray230,308 views
- 7:27 Richard Dawkins Destroys The 10 Commandmentsby Thomas Pharo636,766 views
- 58:16 The Atheist Experience #768 (full episode)by TheAtheistExperience66,289 views