Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss: Something from Nothing, at ANU
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
Critically-acclaimed author and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and world-renowned theoretical physicist and author Lawrence Krauss discuss biology, cosmology, religion, and a host of other topics at this event entitled 'Something for Nothing'. This video was recorded at The Australian National University on 10 April 2012.
Richard Dawkins FRS is the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford. Born in British colonial Africa, he was educated in England, where he now lives. He did his doctorate at Oxford under the Nobel Prize winning zoologist Niko Tinbergen, then was briefly an Assistant Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, from 1967 to 1969, after which he returned to Oxford, first as a Lecturer in Zoology, then Reader, before being elected to his present professorship.
He is the author of nine books: The Selfish Gene (1976, 2nd Ed 1989), The Extended Phenotype (1982), The Blind Watchmaker (1986), River Out of Eden (1995), Climbing Mount Improbable (1996), Unweaving the Rainbow (1998), A Devil's Chaplain (2003), The Ancestor's Tale (2004) and The God Delusion (2006). The God Delusion has sold more than two million copies in English, and is being published in 30 other languages. Dawkins is now editing an anthology of scientific writing for Oxford University Press, The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing. In 2006, to promote the values of education, science, and critical thinking skills, he established The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS) which is now a registered charity in both the UK and USA.
Richard Dawkins has Honorary Doctorates of Literature as well as Science, and is a Fellow of both the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Literature. He has been awarded the Silver Medal of the Zoological Society of London, the Michael Faraday Award of the Royal Society, the Nakayama Prize, the Cosmos International Prize, the Kistler Prize, the Shakespeare Prize and the Lewis Thomas Prize.
Lawrence M. Krauss is a renowned cosmologist and science populariser, and is Foundation Professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration, and director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University. Hailed by Scientific American as a rare public intellectual, he is also the author of more than three hundred scientific publications and nine books, including the international bestseller, The Physics of Star Trek, and his most recent bestseller entitled A Universe from Nothing.
He received his PhD from MIT in 1982 and then joined the Society of Fellows at Harvard, and was a professor at Yale University and Chair of the Physics Department at Case Western Reserve University before taking his present position. Internationally known for his work in theoretical physics, he is the winner of numerous international awards, and is the only physicist to have received major awards from all three US physics societies, the American Physical Society, the American Institute of Physics, and the American Association of Physics Teachers. Krauss is also a commentator and essayist for newspapers such as the New York Times, and the Wall St. Journal, and has written regular columns for New Scientist and Scientific American and appears regularly on radio and television. He is one of the few scientists to have crossed the chasm between science and popular culture, and is also active in issues of science and society. He serves as co-chair of the Board of Sponsors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, and on the Board of Directors of the Federation of American Scientists.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:00:23 SOMETHING FROM NOTHING ? [OFFICIAL] Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss [HD] 02-04-12by ShirleyFilmsFeatured 661,591
- 1:08:04 Black Holes and Galaxies: Professor Reinhard Genzel at ANU, July 2009by ANUchannel 120,472 views
- 57:22 NASA: The next great chapter of exploration - Charles Frank Bolden Jrby ANUchannel 2,614 views
- 1:05:56 'The greatest unsolved mysteries of the universe': Dr Paul Francis at ANU, March 2010by ANUchannel 718,024 views
- 1:07:17 Dr Ben Wellings - RMS Titanic and Europe on the eve of the Great War, at ANUby ANUchannel 727 views
- 71 videos Play all Richard Dawkins & Othersby MrBrittish
- 1:17:13 Richard Dawkins - Neil deGrasse Tyson :The Poetry of Scienceby MrAbkebab 114,390 views
- 1:14:10 Christopher Hitchens v Olasky Debate (Hitchens head to head with evangelical scholar)by Zwemer100 97,036 views
- 58:43 Lawrence Krauss on Q&A - Science vs Religion - 18 Feb 2013by thetomstudio 194,731 views
- 1:43:28 Richard Dawkins Vs. William Lane Craig Debateby ChristopherHitchslap 517,588 views
- 58:37 Revelation TV Interview with Richard Dawkins, amazingly idiotic Creationist questions!by bjnr0 272,324 views
- 1:45:18 Lawrence Krauss discussion with Richard Dawkins - Completeby shariat905 15,125 views
- 32:50 Rise of the New Atheists?by AgendaStevePaikin 11,071 views
- 1:48:55 "Science Refutes God" Debate [FULL] - Intelligence Squared U.S.by RonDeKiller 126,429 views
- Richard Dawkins 15,337 videos21K
- 1:00:56 Richard Dawkins - Cardinal Pell Debateby RosesEternal 16,300 views
- 1:29:09 Christopher Hitchens Debates Al Sharpton - New York Publicby ChristopherHitchslap 224,816 views
- 1:04:52 Krauss '09: "A Universe From Nothing"by nightjarflying 117,690 views
- 57:06 Richard Dawkins - Now Praise Intelligent Designby AtheistFoundation 170,211 views
- 44:23 Krauss '11: Cosmic Connectionsby nightjarflying 84,047 views
- 17:01 Richard Dawkins on BBC Radio debating with creationists.by UKantitheist1 75,688 views
- 1:02:28 Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris & Ayaan Hirsi Aliby AtheistFoundation 181,592 views
- Loading more suggestions...