Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 7, 2012
Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marquis of Púbol (May 11, 1904 -- January 23, 1989), was a Spanish surrealist painter born in Figueres, Catalonia.
Dalí was a skilled draftsman, best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work. His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters.His best known work, The Persistence of Memory, was completed in 1931.
Salvador Dalí's artistic repertoire also included film, sculpture, and photography. He collaborated with Walt Disney on the Academy Award-nominated short cartoon Destino, which was released posthumously in 2003. He also collaborated with Alfred Hitchcock on Hitchcock's film Spellbound.
Dalí insisted on his "Arab lineage", claiming that his ancestors were descended from the Moors who occupied Southern Spain for nearly 800 years (711-1492), and attributed to these origins, "my love of everything that is gilded and excessive, my passion for luxury and my love of oriental clothes."
Widely considered to be greatly imaginative, Dalí had an affinity for doing unusual things to draw attention to himself. This sometimes irked those who loved his art as much as it annoyed his critics, since his eccentric manner sometimes drew more public attention than his artwork. The purposefully-sought notoriety led to broad public recognition and many purchases of his works by people from all walks of life.
Dalí employed extensive symbolism in his work. For instance, the hallmark soft watches that first appear in The Persistence of Memory suggest Einstein's theory that time is relative and not fixed.The idea for clocks functioning symbolically in this way came to Dalí when he was staring at a runny piece of Camembert cheese during a hot day in August.
The elephant is also a recurring image in Dalí's works. It first appeared in his 1944 work Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening. The elephants, inspired by Gian Lorenzo Bernini's sculpture base in Rome of an elephant carrying an ancient obelisk,are portrayed "with long, multi-jointed, almost invisible legs of desire" along with obelisks on their backs. Coupled with the image of their brittle legs, these encumbrances, noted for their phallic overtones, create a sense of phantom reality. "The elephant is a distortion in space," one analysis explains, "its spindly legs contrasting the idea of weightlessness with structure."... I am painting pictures which make me die for joy, I am creating with an absolute naturalness, without the slightest aesthetic concern, I am making things that inspire me with a profound emotion and I am trying to paint them honestly. —Salvador Dalí, in Dawn Ades, Dalí and Surrealism.
The egg is another common Dalíesque image. He connects the egg to the prenatal and intrauterine, thus using it to symbolize hope and love;it appears in The Great Masturbator and The Metamorphosis of Narcissus. Various animals appear throughout his work as well: ants point to death, decay, and immense sexual desire; the snail is connected to the human head (he saw a snail on a bicycle outside Freud's house when he first met Sigmund Freud); and locusts are a symbol of waste and fear.
Dalí was a versatile artist, not limiting himself only to painting in his artistic endeavors. Some of his more popular artistic works are sculptures and other objects, and he is also noted for his contributions to theatre, fashion, and photography, among other areas.
Note:This video has a better quality and it shows some of the paintings not included in my previous video.Here is my ealier work:
Music by:James Horner
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Saying Goodbye To Those You So Love" on
- 15:02 Salvador Dali - Mike Wallace interview 1958 - Part 1/2by Kanaal van Stag 301,144 views
- 9:21 Salvador Dali on "What's My Line?"by Kembrew McLeod 2,445,024 views
- 6:01 Salvador Dali Interview (Merv Griffin Show 1965)by Merv GriffinShow 24,566 views
- 45:57 Dali. Grandes Artistas y Genios de la Pintura.by Divulgación, Cultura y Contracultura 61,980 views
- 9:53 Psicoanalísis de Dalíby Patty López de la Cerda 59,484 views
- 53 videos Play all ARTEby lbeltra1953
- 9:31 Vladimir Kushby DistantMirrors 96,552 views
- 9:23 Salvador Dali on "The Name's the Same" (first appearance)by rrgomes 14,828 views
- 10:56 Arena - Salvador Dali (2 of 7)by frakdox 63,521 views
- 18:23 The Death of Salvador Dali (Full)by Girl0Interrupted0 27,271 views
- 10:54 Arena - Salvador Dali (5 of 7)by frakdox 25,435 views
- 8:56 salvador dali entrevistado por zabludovsky 1 de 3by elihazael 285,327 views
- 4:29 salvador daliby SoraDavid2 14,074 views
- Salvador Dalí 13,972 videos84
- 5:05 Salvador Dali Animated Video "Under Impression of Existere"by alecom123's channel 77,180 views
- 8:04 Surrealism and Rene Magritteby arigatourban's channel 196,210 views
- 4:00 Top Twenty Salvador Dali Paintingsby King110324 49,350 views
- 10:58 Arena - Salvador Dali (3 of 7)by Frak's documentaries 46,378 views
- 9:13 Rene Magritteby brendafohio 87,324 views
- 1:22 Dali y las moscasby Canal de pfranquet 141,803 views
- 7:52 Salvador Dali ~,~ Johann Sebastian Bach ~,~ Toccata and Fugueby P100e 27,970 views
- 10:53 Arena - Salvador Dali (4 of 7)by frakdox 39,205 views
- Loading more suggestions...