- Social Media - Big Media and the Social Web - TWiSM #03
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 23, 2011
Join our new mailing list and be the first to learn about upcoming guests! Go to thisweekin.com/email.
0:00-1:00 Today, on This Week in Social Media, we'll cover the latest from uber-social network Facebook and also dive into the world of social TV viewing.
1:00-2:00 First up we have Marshall Kirkpatrick from ReadWriteWeb to talk to us about Facebook's big changes.
2:00-4:00 There's also been a massive change to the Facebook profile look, yes?
4:00-5:00 What about big media? We heard from Netflix this week that they won't be integrating in the US. What's your take on this?
5:00-6:00 Thanks for joining us today, Marshall. Everyone remember to follow him on Twitter @marshallk.
6:00-6:45 Also joining us today is Mike Bracco, product manager at Mahalo, who will be previewing the Facebook changes for us.
6:45-7:45 And you have control over that image as a user?
7:45-8:30 Tell us a bit about the mapping feature.
8:30-9:00 So what's the biggest new integration that Facebook has made?
9:00-9:30 Mike, thanks so much for taking us on that tour. Everyone remember to follow him on Twitter @bracco.
9:30-10:15 We've got a start studded panel this week: Somrat Niyogi of Miso, Fraser Kelton of GetGlue and Gabriele Gresta of Digital Magics and Bibop. Where are you coming from today, Fraser?
10:15-11:30 What's happening at Miso and where are you, Somrat?
11:30-13:00 So today we're talking about social TV and the advent of connected viewing. It seems like GetGlue has positioned themselves as a leader in the space, is that true?
13:00-14:00 So most people are checking in through their mobile devices?
14:00-15:00 Somrat, tell me a bit about what makes Miso similar or different from GetGlue?
15:00-18:00 So the distinction is that GetGlue is about the check-in, while Miso is doubling down on television?
18:00-18:30 And Somrat and Fraser, you both launched last year?
18:30-21:00 Gabriele, you've been involved in this space for quite some time, yes? Tell us what you're doing these days in the interactive TV space, Gabriele?
21:00-22:45 So the differentiator is that the person producing or switching the TV show can actually roll in all of the social media live?
22:45-24:30 Fraser or Somrat, are there plans to include this "in-line" viewing functionality on your platforms?
24:30-26:00 What's the typical adoption pattern for GetGlue users?
26:00-27:00 Gabriele, what's the partnership process like with broadcasters?
27:00-30:45 So you built that software specifically for someone in a control room to optimize that viewing process?
30:45-31:30 Gabriele, do you disagree? Should broadcasters welcome the social additions to the viewing experience?
31:30-32:00 And if you see that your friend is watching something on Facebook, does that definitely pique someone's interest?
32:00-33:00 Fraser: As the builder of a product in this space, I think it's important to remember that TV has always been inherently social.
33:00-35:00 Somrat, do you need the permission of the broadcaster to add this layer of content?
35:00-37:00 And Somrat, you're doing that without any deep relationship with the content producers, yes? And this allows you to move faster?
37:00-37:45 Are tablets and phones the principal platforms?
37:45-40:00 So we can break this down into three steps: social discovery, social connection and contribution. Of those three, Gabriele, your company can do all three, is that correct?
40:00-42:00 News for the TV companies watching this show: get with the program fast, because other companies are creating social experiences with--or without--your permission.
42:00-45:00 What's the threat in Facebook's new announcement that they're offering this integration as part of the new platform?
45:00-47:00 Somrat, given your connection to Google, you'll certainly be integrating with Google+, yes?
47:00-48:00 Thank you to everyone for joining us today. Everyone make sure to follow all of our guests on Twitter.
48:00-48:30 We'd also love to hear from you: tweet us @TWiSocialMedia or find us on Facebook at facebook.com/twisocialmedia
We want to hear from you! To tell us who you'd like to see as a guest and what hot topics in social media you're interested in, email TWiSocialMedia@thisweekin.com
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
This Week in Social Media: @TWiSocialMedia
A special thank you to the members of the TWiSM Producer Program! To join them in helping guide the course of the show, go to thisweekinsocialmedia.co
Executive Producer Mary Ann Halford
Associate Producer Serena Ehrlich
Associate Producer William Doom
Supporter Armand Konan
Next in - Social Media: Season 2 Episodes
- 1:08:26 - Social Media - -Social Media- Robert Tercek and the "Information Tsunami" -TWiSM#07by This Week In 1,480 views
- 46:06 - Social Media - Carmine Gallo and the Advent of Check Ins - TWiSM #06by This Week In 1,249 views
- 41:20 This Week In Social Media - Simon Mainwaring on This Week in Social Media--Live Pilotby ThisWeekIn 2,785 views
- 38:59 - Social Media - Build a Better Profile with Michael Margolis #09by This Week In 1,192 views
- 57:29 - Social Media - This Week in Social Media Presents "Beyond Play: Gaming in the Connected Age" #11by ThisWeekIn 1,307 views
- 1:11:04 @fordschool - Sultan Al Qassemi: Social media as a change agent in the Middle Eastby Ford School 3,772 views
- 50:05 Big Switch - Season 3 - Episode 1by bindass 111,829 views
- 48:12 - Social Media - The Dark Side of Social Media with Marc Goodman and Gregory Markel #14by ThisWeekIn 6,171 views
- 44:58 - Social Media - Social Games with Thom Kozik and Alex Pham -TWiSM #08by ThisWeekIn 1,713 views
- 39:39 - Social Media - #2012: The New Year in Social Media #16by ThisWeekIn 2,216 views
- 5:26 Gear Up for Giving: The Click Daly Show on Social Media for Nonprofitsby casefoundation 10,177 views
- 52:35 This Week in Social Media - Brian Solisby This Week In 3,001 views
- 43:09 Tim Sanders and Liz Gannes - TWiSM #02by ThisWeekIn 628 views
- 2:17 SOCIAL MEDIA 2013: STATISTICS AND TRENDSby Funky Marketing TV 22,858 views
- 47:39 - Social Media - #2011- Wrapping Up and Looking Forward #15by ThisWeekIn 743 views
- 46:30 - Social Media - Social Reading with Otis Chandler and Rex Pickett #10by ThisWeekIn 845 views
- 20:10 MC Hammer: Role of Social Media in Marketingby stanfordbusiness 41,289 views
- 3:47 The Future of the Social Webby GuruTubeVideos 4,797 views
- 58:09 IPO Show with Henry Blodget and Jon Avinaby ThisWeekIn 2,355 views