Dan Ariely on Wall Street Fraud and the Psychology of a Cheater!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 8, 2012
Check us out on Facebook
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. More than two dozen companies over the past five years neglected to tell investors they were preparing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis. Companies, including Kodak and American Airlines, did not warn investors about bankruptcy preparations even though such information could be deemed as 'material' to investors. We talk to Dan Ariely, professor of behavioral economics, about the best way incentivize morality and deter corporate cheating.
Plus, JPMorgan Chase reached an agreement, in principle, with SEC regulators to settle claims related to mortgage backed bonds handled by JP Morgan and Bear Stearns. How well do lawsuits deter financial crimes? We talk to Dan Ariely about what actually curbs Wall Street wrongdoing.
And in 2011, at a White House press conference, Obama explained that the lack of prosecutions on Wall Street was due to the fact that "a lot of that stuff wasn't necessarily illegal, it was just immoral or inappropriate or reckless." He went on to say, "That's exactly why we needed to pass Dodd-Frank, to prohibit some of these practices." And recently, Greg Smith, the op-ed writing Goldman Sachs defector, said in an interview on Bloomberg, "the reason that no one has gone to jail for the financial crisis is that this stuff is all legal." We ask Dan Ariely, Professor of Behavioral Economics at Duke University and author of "The Honest Truth About Dishonesty,"what is needed to change the culture of Wall Street, and whether regulation, including Dodd-Frank, is the right approach.
Finally, in "Loose Change" Lauren and Demetri talk to Capital Account guest Steve Keen about his latest project: "Minsky," a computer program for building dynamic monetary economic models. Minsky is an economic platform to enable students and teachers to create monetarily realistic process models of the macro-economy, in which banks, money and debt play key roles. He recently started Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the project, and you can check it out at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2...
- 25:06 Wall Street Fraud Enabler Lanny Breuer Steps Down (with Eliot Spitzer)by Sam Seder Featured 6,595
- 28:03 James Turk on the Overestimated Gold Stock, the German Repatriation, and an EU Crisis!by CapitalAccount28,981 views
- 2:51 James Turk on the Central Bank Gold Heist and Bundesbank Accounting Shenanigans!by CapitalAccount10,047 views
- 1:06 Jim Rogers Back to Shorting US Treasury Bonds!by CapitalAccount7,919 views
- 28:03 Greece back on the Brink, IEA Projects US Oil Bonanza and Betting on a Grand Fiscal Bargain!by CapitalAccount7,757 views
- 53:34 Dan Ariely - The Upside of Irrationalityby Forum Network1,710 views
- 53:45 Hangout with Dan Arielyby Dan Ariely CAH
- 43:23 Wall Street Billionaire Traders Lifestyleby forexreviewsnow77,114 views
- 56:02 Authors@Google: Dan Arielyby Talks at Google67,070 views
- 21:02 Dan Ariely: Adaptive Responsesby poptech11,783 views
- 18:41 The World We Explore- Dan Ariely Zeitgeist Americas 2012by zeitgeistminds4,430 views
- 46:22 Overdose: The Next Financial Crisisby Journeyman Pictures1,674,589 views
- 47:50 Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street (Marije Meerman, VPRO Backlight 2010)by VPROinternational594,079 views
- 11:10 James Grant: Gold, the Refuge of the Idiotsby etfideas63,247 views
- 43:44 Conspiracy Theory W/ Jesse Ventura: Wall Street [Season 2, Episode 3] (Full Length • HD)by Justin Wallis256,598 views
- 42:49 The Fabulous Life of Billion Dollar Wall Street Ballers - Documentaryby MoneyAndFinance99,232 views
- 14:41 How to Profit From Government Stupidity - Doug Caseyby Casey Research31,481 views
- 25:03 Wall Street Warriors Episode 1 Season 2 HDby OfficialEntrepreneur13,696 views
- 7:29 Part 1- JP Morgan Silver Manipulation Explainedby John Doe427,837 views
- 43:01 Dan Ariely Decodes Why Humans Are Hard-Wired To Inflateby ChrisMartensondotcom4,200 views
- Loading more suggestions...