VA Asbestos Claims By The Mesothelioma Center
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 21, 2011
Retired U.S. Navy Lieutenant Commander Carl Jewett discusses many issues involving VA asbestos claims in this video segment. Specifically, Jewett explains there are many common misconceptions associated with VA benefits, Navy asbestos claims and asbestos related diseases.
One common misconception among veterans: If you are already retired then you are not eligible for disability. This is not true. If you want to work and have a disability from active duty, you are eligible for disability. The VA provides disability compensation for veterans who have a condition that resulted from service, as long as the proper documentation is filed.
Another common misconception that the process of getting benefits is just too complicated and difficult. This is also not true. The process of receiving disability compensation, benefits and healthcare is fairly straightforward, although it does require you to understand what documentation is necessary to get a claim approved.
Given that you were not diagnosed with this disease while you were on active duty, you may be required to explain how your disease or condition is a "service-related condition." How was your service the primary contributing factor to your condition? Your story will not be dissimilar to others because U.S. Navy asbestos exposure was more common than first believed.
Jewett recommends if you were exposed to asbestos in the Navy and you are seeking veterans' benefits, write a letter that includes details about how you were exposed, what you did as a civilian and why you believe that you have a service-related disease or condition.
Because it is well known that there was asbestos on Navy ships, it becomes important to educate veterans on their rights to receive benefits, healthcare and compensation for any service-related issue that stemmed from asbestos exposure.
For more information visit:
Standard YouTube License
Next in Veterans and Mesothelioma
- 1:18 Spouse Benefits for Mesothelioma Veteransby The Mesothelioma Center404 views
- 1:06 Helping Veterans Exposed To Asbestos in the Military by the Mesothelioma Centerby The Mesothelioma Center294 views
- 1:30 Navy Veterans Exposed to Asbestos by The Mesothelioma Centerby The Mesothelioma Center278 views
- 53:07 Black in Latin America E03, Mexico and Peru: The Black Grandma in the Closetby Bladeboy05185,552 views
- 4:49 Why won't VA doctors back me up?by Anthony Reeves252 views
- 15:54 Clear and present danger: Asbestos exposedby WorkSafeQueensland3,297 views
- 3:10 Unemployability - TDIUby LegalHelpForVeterans5,020 views
- 7:20 EHTV Episode06: A Town Called Asbestos Part 1by Ehtv Canada1,389 views
- 5:01 VA Disability Compensation - FIND OUT YOUR TRUE RATING!by Ruben Dedman2,825 views
- 9:26 IBEW Hour Power 1-on-1 with Peter Angelosby IBEWHourPower736 views
- 6:21 The Asbestos Hot Water Boiler System / Asbestos Piping Removal Processby pjckac13,578 views
- 9:58 Devils Dust - Deadly Natural Blue Asbestos Facts & Dangers - Products of Asbestos - Mesotheliomaby LostTreasureComAU2,479 views
- 9:19 Toxic Exposure Asbestos Press Briefingby maliuna1683 views
- 3:32 How to Win your Veterans Disability Claim Using VAs List of Presumptive Chronic and Tropical Diseaseby Marc Whitehead125 views
- 8:52 Tips for Navigating the VA Claims Processby U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs15,674 views
- 6:26 Alan's story - dealing with asbestosisby Joint Industry Board1,958 views
- 5:19 U.S. Navy Asbestos Exposureby Meso247357 views
- 4:59 how we removed our asbestos floor tilesby Karah Bunde10,820 views
- 4:25 Asbestos: Still legal and in use -- Reuters Investigatesby Reuters TV15,414 views