Harlan Howard - "I Fall To Pieces" (performed by original songwriter)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 29, 2009
photo: (l to r) Patsy Cline - Harlan Howard
From the 1965 "All Time Favorite Country Songwriter" LP
Harlan wrote this Patsy Cline classic ...
Harlan Howard was a prolific country music songwriter. He wrote Patsy Cline's hit "I Fall to Pieces," Johnny Cash's "Busted" and hundreds of other popular classic country songs.
visit his site at:
Howard was born in 1927 in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up on a farm in Kentucky. As a child he listened to the Grand Ole Opry radio show. In later years Howard recalled the personal formative influence of country music: "I was captured by the songs as much as the singer. They grabbed my heart. The reality of country music moved me. Even when I was a kid, I liked the sad songs songs that talked about true life. I recognized this music as a simple plea. It beckoned me."
Howard completed just nine years of formal education, though he was an avid reader. When he was 12 years of age Harlan began writing songs, "an enthusiasm fueled by an appetite for books and an ear for a telling phrase.
After serving as a paratrooper with the United States Army, he went to Los Angeles, California, hoping to sell his music.
He did manual labor while writing songs and pushing his finished material. Eventually he sold some of his compositions and, after a few minor successes, his song, "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down", recorded by Charlie Walker, went to No. 2 on the country music charts in late 1958. A year later Ray Price had a major country hit with "Heartaches By The Number"; simultaneously a pop version of the song performed by Guy Mitchell went to No. 1 on the Pop Charts. Buoyed by these two major hits, Howard moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1960. Bringing along a large portfolio of compositions, he signed a contract with Acuff-Rose Music. Howard's songs were so immediately successful that in 1961 alone he had fifteen of his compositions on the country music charts, earning himself ten BMI awards. Among his biggest hits was "I Fall to Pieces," co-written with Hank Cochran and recorded by Patsy Cline. He also wrote the classic Kingston Trio song "Everglades", and the song "Busted", originally a hit for both Ray Charles and Johnny Cash and later a hit for John Conlee whose known to use the song to create awareness for Feed the Children.
Harlan Howard formulated the oft-quoted definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth".
Harlan Howard was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1973 and the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1997. He died in 2002, aged 74, and was buried in Nashville City Cemetery.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Harlan Howard - "I Fall To Pieces" (performed by original songwriter)
- 2:27 Harlan Howard - "Heartaches By the Number" (performed by the original songwriter)by BobSeger198121,279 views
- 2:47 Harlan Howard - "Too Many Rivers" (performed by original songwriter)by BobSeger198111,991 views
- 2:27 Harlan Howard - I Wish I Felt This Way At Homeby rich bell9,016 views
- 8:49 Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Harlan Howard... talking about Tootsie's and songwritingby biggestkkfan11,015 views
- 4:44 Loretta Lynn & Ray Stevens Patsy Cline medley Faded Love I Fall To Pieces Back In Baby's Arms Crazyby Arnescountry76,741 views
- 2:43 Patsy Cline - I Fall To Piecesby crazy4patsycline3,051,263 views
- 86 videos Play all RAY GRIFF and HARLAN HOWARDby siloflo
- 2:24 Harlan Howard - "Busted" (performed by the original songwriter)by BobSeger198121,840 views
- 2:52 Patsy Cline -- I Fall To Piecesby mdoelle3,823,068 views
- 2:16 Harlan Howard-Honky Tonk Crazyby minescountry210,334 views
- 1:00:10 Country Music Ballads Series: Part 1/Baladas de música country parte 1by soniakiwi1,527,262 views
- 2:19:44 Best Of Country Music 2012by cmntexas969,125 views
- 5:10 k.d.lang & The Reclines - I Fall To Pieces ( live audio 1985 )by TheLangChannel31,284 views
- 49:22 Country Music All Star Concert - Real Country Musicby cmntexas1,040,473 views
- 2:51 Charley Pride - Heartaches By The Number "LIVE"by NotGeneWatsonSongs558,869 views
- 5:17 Harlan Howard & Nanci Griffith-Never Mindby goodmusic7038,699 views
- 2:47 Patsy Cline - Crazyby SirBasildeBrush489,499 views
- 4:16 Sara Evans, Travis Tritt & Joe Diffie - Tribute to Harlan Howard (LIVE)by CountryMusicFan7613,469 views
- 2:54 Merle Haggard My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Againby David D'souza345,662 views
- 11:58 Loretta Lynn, Brenda Lee, Faith Hill, sings a Patsy Cline melodyby Earl Dormer197,220 views