Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 4/8/13: Homeschooling: The Future of Liberty
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 7, 2013
Homeschooling: The Future of Liberty
by Ron Paul
A common feature of authoritarian regimes is the criminalization of alternatives to government-controlled education. Dictators recognize the danger that free thought poses to their rule, and few things promote the thinking of "unapproved" thoughts like an education controlled by parents instead of the state. That is why the National Socialist (Nazi) government of Germany outlawed homeschooling in 1938.
Sadly, these Nazi-era restrictions on parental rights remain the law in Germany, leaving parents who wish greater control over their children's education without options. That is why in 2006 Uwe and Hannalore Romeike, a German couple who wanted to homeschool their three children for religious reasons, sought asylum in the United States. Immigration judge Lawrence Burman upheld their application for asylum, recognizing that the freedom of parents to homeschool was a "basic human right."
Unfortunately, the current US administration does not see it that way, and has announced that it is appealing Judge Burman's decision. If the administration is successful, the Romeikes could be sent back to Germany where they will be forced to send their children to schools whose teaching violates their religious beliefs. If they refuse, they face huge fines, jail time, or even the loss of custody of their children!
The Administration's appeal claims that the federal government has the constitutional authority to ban homeschooling in all fifty states. The truth is, the Constitution gives the federal government no power to control any aspect of education. Furthermore, parents who, like the Romeikes, have a religious motivation for homeschooling should be protected by the free exercise clause of the First Amendment.
The federal government's hostility to homeschooling is shared by officials at all levels of government. Despite the movement's success in legalizing homeschooling in every state, many families are still subjected to harassment by local officials. The harassment ranges from "home visits" by child protective agencies to criminal prosecution for violating truancy laws.
Every American who values liberty should support the homeschoolers' cause. If the government can usurp parental authority over something as fundamental as the education of their children, there is almost no area of parenthood off limits to government interference.
Homeschooling has proven to be an effective means of education. We are all familiar with the remarkable academic achievements, including in national spelling bees and other competitions, by homeshcooled children. In addition, homeschooled students generally fare better than their public school educated peers on all measures of academic performance.
It makes sense that children do better when their education is controlled by those who know their unique needs best, rather than by a federal bureaucrat. A strong homeschooling movement may also improve other forms of education. If competition improves goods and services in other areas of life, why wouldn't competition improve education? A large and growing homeschooling movement could inspire public and private schools to innovate and improve.
When the government interferes with a parent's ability to choose the type of education that is best for their child, it is acting immorally and in manner inconsistent with a free society. A government that infringes on the rights of homeschooling will eventually infringe on the rights of all parents. Homeschooled children are more likely to embrace the philosophy of freedom, and to join the efforts to restore liberty. In fact, I would not be surprised if the future leaders of the liberty movement were homeschooled.
I believe so strongly in the homeschooling movement that I have just announced my own curriculum for homeschooling families. Please visit this revolutionary new project at http://www.RonPaulCurriculum.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:07 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 4/1/13: The Great Cyprus Bank Robberyby minnesotachris5,467 views
- 5:05 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 3/11/13: Congress, Drones, and The Imperial Presidencyby minnesotachris3,084 views
- 3:43 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 10/1/12: Gold is Good Money, But Our Fiat Currency is Notby minnesotachris1,138 views
- 4:13 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 5/6//13: Federal Reserve Blows More Bubblesby minnesotachris5,381 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV160,915 views
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents87,538 views
- 16:08 373. Homeschooling, War, and Banking | Ron Paulby Lew Rockwell7,368 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial385,045 views
- 9:32 Ron Paul: Obamacare 'A Conspiracy Of Stupidity'by selfownership116,816 views
- 8:30 Ron Paul - Homeschooling and Educationby E-race the hate3,704 views
- 16:02 Anarcho-capitalism Why it's Broken & How to Fix itby StormCloudsGathering24,790 views
- 2:57 Ron Paul leaves CNBC speechless: "Gas could cost a dime, it's a money issue" (inflation and debt)by SergeantPepper9935,197 views
- 17:25 Ron Paul on the Lew Rockwell Show 3 27 13 Empire, Blood, and Bankingby TheHiddenUncovered299 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP575,347 views
- 30:14 Ron Paul Speaks @ CATO On The Federal Reserveby RonPaulCC20125,365 views
- 5:50 Ron Paul Finally Shuts Bill oReilly up Someone had to do itby Bashananal803,678 views
- 5:59 Jim Rogers - Economy 2014 Crisis / Dollar Collapseby Gold And Silver553 views
- 11:50 TEDxManhattanBeach - John Bennett - Why Math Instruction Is Unnecessaryby TEDxTalks110,283 views
- 3:45 Homeschool Your Child For Success By Homeschooling Themby Nathan Jurewicz13,954 views
- 8:54 Chairman Of The HSLDA - TheBlazeTV - The Glenn Beck Radio Program - 2013.03.18by Jared Law1,090 views
- Loading more suggestions...