NASA | SDO: Three Years of Sun in Three Minutes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 22, 2013
Music: "A Lady's Errand of Love" - composed and performed by Martin Lass
In the three years since it first provided images of the sun in the spring of 2010, NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) has had virtually unbroken coverage of the sun's rise toward solar maximum, the peak of solar activity in its regular 11-year cycle. This video shows those three years of the sun at a pace of two images per day.
SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) captures a shot of the sun every 12 seconds in 10 different wavelengths. The images shown here are based on a wavelength of 171 Angstroms, which is in the extreme ultraviolet range and shows solar material at around 600,000 Kelvin. In this wavelength it is easy to see the sun's 25-day rotation as well as how solar activity has increased over three years.
During the course of the video, the sun subtly increases and decreases in apparent size. This is because the distance between the SDO spacecraft and the sun varies over time. The image is, however, remarkably consistent and stable despite the fact that SDO orbits the Earth at 6,876 miles per hour and the Earth orbits the sun at 67,062 miles per hour.
Such stability is crucial for scientists, who use SDO to learn more about our closest star. These images have regularly caught solar flares and coronal mass ejections in the act, types of space weather that can send radiation and solar material toward Earth and interfere with satellites in space. SDO's glimpses into the violent dance on the sun help scientists understand what causes these giant explosions -- with the hopes of some day improving our ability to predict this space weather.
There are several noteworthy events that appear briefly in this video. They include the two partial eclipses of the sun by the moon, two roll maneuvers, the largest flare of this solar cycle, comet Lovejoy, and the transit of Venus. The specific time for each event is listed below, but a sharp-eyed observer may see some while the video is playing.
00:30;24 Partial eclipse by the moon
00:31;16 Roll maneuver
01:11;02 August 9, 2011 X6.9 Flare, currently the largest of this solar cycle
01:28;07 Comet Lovejoy, December 15, 2011
01:42;29 Roll Maneuver
01:51;07 Transit of Venus, June 5, 2012
02:28;13 Partial eclipse by the moon
More information about this video, as well as full HD version of all four wavelengths and print-resolution stills are public domain and can be viewed and downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/...
This video is public domain and can be downloaded.
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 11:43 What If The Sun Disappeared?by Vsauce Featured 5,016,239
- 2:17 NASA | X-ray Nova Reveals a New Black Hole in Our Galaxyby NASA Goddard190,189 views
- 3:07 NASA | Take a "Swift" Tour of the Andromeda Galaxyby NASA Goddard353,959 views
- 5:19 NASA | Fermi at Five Yearsby NASA Goddard74,621 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASA Goddard1,002,159 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74381,929 views
- 52:30 Under the Antarctic Ice - Beauty of The Natureby Civil Digital630,648 views
- 7:09 World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Takenby Hybrid Librarian12,272,611 views
- 52:44 Secrets of the Sun / Nova HD 1080pby mavireck121,507 views
- 1:04:23 Mission Juno - Great documentary on Jupiter and NASA's Juno probe arriving at the gas giant in 2016by shazmosushi24,000 views
- 10 videos Play all Astronomy Datasetsby scienceonasphere
- 8:09 Comet ISON Debris Hitting Earth Now (NASA Preparing)by Jason A712,677 views
- 24:59 The Largest Black Holes in the Universeby SpaceRip1,930,059 views
- 15:57 NASA UFO Sightingsby UniversalTrek604,632 views
- 10:01 Jupiter sounds (so strange!) NASA-Voyager recordingby hryzunik7,255,021 views
- 6:52 TRUTH! The Earth does not revolve around the Sun - The exposure of hiding - in April 2012.by myunhauzen742,259,305 views
- 5:40 The Largest Galaxy in the Universe: IC 1101by Deep Astronomy1,154,994 views
- 5:20 NASA: Amazing Experiments with Water in Zero Gravityby TV ADDICT4,478,201 views
- 9:03 NASA SAYS "PRAY" AS EARTH IS LEFT DEFENSELESS AGAINST COMING NEAR TERM METEOR STRIKES (MAR 20, 2013)by ADRENALINEJUNKY -JASON HENDRICKS89,724 views
- 13:03 Tentsile tree tents: floating treehouses mimic spider websby Kirsten Dirksen391,293 views