MacBride Museum - Whitehorse, Yukon
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 28, 2012
No trip to the Yukon is complete without a stop at the fantastic McBride Museum of Yukon History in Whitehorse. If you want to get a quick run through of the fascinating history of the north, then there is no better place than here.
The museum tells the fascinating stories of the events and people that built Canada's Yukon and the place is literally overflowing with memorabilia and artifacts (over 24,000 pieces to be exact!). A huge complex sprawling across several buildings and out into various courtyards the many exhibits showcase actual artifacts that were salvaged from the destructive hands of time; many by the passionate man named Bill MacBride, the driving force behind the creation of the Yukon's first official museum.
The museum is full of historical gems like locomotive Engine 51 that carried the gold rush seekers across the treacherous White Pass to stake their claims to fortune, the famous log cabin of the iconic Yukon character Sam McGee, an 1898 Miners Saloon with a unique story of how it came to the museum, fur trappers gear and artifacts, First Nations history and even a hands-on gold panning station where you can try your own hand at striking it rich!
Our guide for our tour through the museum was Leighann Chalykoff, the Communications Director at the museum. She knew lots about the history of the north and was very proud of the MacBride Museum. She said it was one of the Yukon's most popular stops for tourists and they received visitors from all over the world all year long. Summer was especially busy as they run special exhibits and events, including many events for kids but she was especially proud of that fact that they are the only museum in the Yukon that is open all winter long!
So next time you hit the north, be sure to stop by; even if it's in the winter when you're up above the 50th parallel in search of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). And when you're there be sure to say hi to Chris for us. He never continued on the tour but stayed behind in the Yukon to become a trapper. With that beard he at least looks the part.
Good luck Chris!
Follow the Great Canadian Adventure Tour
Visit our site: http://www.greatcanadianadventuretour...
Join us on Facebook and Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 46:12 DEPARTURES -- "Ethiopia: Saints and Snakes" ... [PART 1]by ABHWLM 14,783 views
- 46:05 Departures S02E03, Brazil: Piranha Soupby TheCagedTiger 1,343 views
- 6:33 Whitehorse Yukon Housing Issueby mknutson27 1,395 views
- 46:08 Departures S01E06, Japan: The Futureby TheCagedTiger 29,635 views
- 42:02 Yukon.Men.S01E03by Survivall ch 9,023 views
- 29:29 North Of Ordinary: Episode 3 July 2012by NorthwestelTV 322 views
- 46:06 Departures S02E02, Libyaby TheCagedTiger 2,643 views
- 46:06 Departures S02E01, Moroccoby TheCagedTiger 2,748 views
- 46:08 Departures S01E03, India: Sacred Groundby TheCagedTiger 2,610 views
- 8:18 1898 Alaska Klondike Gold Rush Story, Dawson City, Yukon Riverby goldhunting 79,117 views
- 29:03 The Great Canadian Tour - Canada's Northern Territoriesby cpac 2,602 views
- 10:01 Gold Panningby halflife82 7,134 views
- 42:02 Yukon.Men.S01E04by Survivall ch 6,744 views
- 6:21 Nip & Tuck Goldmine Tour Pt 3by GoldMiningAdventure 6,990 views
- 46:08 Departures S01E01, Canada: Ocean to Oceanby TheCagedTiger 4,312 views
- 7:03 Whitehorse Yukon Territoryby smelly1184 5,889 views
- 3:38 Off to the Klondike! The Search for Goldby MuseeMcCordMuseum 24,572 views
- 6:09 Whitehorse, Yukon Territory/Skagway, Alaskaby cynthjewel 47,113 views
- 2:56 Adila Low - Trapper and craftswomanby RegaloDelMar2007 6,677 views
- 1:37 Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada: Perspectives of a Northern Cityby Linescrew1 2,809 views
- Loading more suggestions...