Omar Souleyman - "Leh Jani"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 29, 2007
Visit: omarsouleyman.com for details./////////
This video © Mark Gergis & Sublime Frequencies. All Rights Reserved. ////
Track 1 from the Sublime Frequencies CD, "Omar Souleyman- Highway to Hassake: Folk and Pop Sounds of Syria".
An excerpt from the track "Leh Jani" taken from cassette.
Omar Souleyman - vocals
Rizan Sa'id - Keyboard/Rhythms
Hamid Suleiman - electric saz
Mahmoud Harbi - Poetry
Recorded in SYRIA.
Filmed on location in Syria and edited by Mark Gergis with additional footage from various VCD video clips representing
10 years of Omar Souleyman video clips and footage.
Omar Souleyman is a Syrian musical legend. Since 1994, he and his musicians have emerged as a staple of folk-pop throughout Syria, but until now they have remained little known outside of the country. To date, they have issued more than five-hundred studio and live- recorded cassette albums which are easily spotted in the shops of any Syrian city.
Born in rural Northeastern Syria, he began his musical career in 1994 with a small group of local collaborators that remain with him today. The myriad musical traditions of the region are evident in their music. Here, classical Arabic mawal-style vocalization gives way to high-octane Syrian Dabke (the regional folkloric dance and party music), Iraqi Choubi and a host of Arabic, Kurdish and Turkish styles, among others. This amalgamation is truly the sound of Syria. The music often has an overdriven sound consisting of phase-shifted Arabic keyboard solos and frantic rhythms. At breakneck speeds, these shrill Syrian electronics play out like forbidden morse-code, but the moods swing from coarse and urgent to dirgy and contemplative in the rugged anthems that comprise Souleyman's repertoire.
Oud, reeds, baglama saz, accompanying vocals and percussion fill out the sound from track to track. Mahmoud Harbi is a long-time collaborator and the man responsible for much of the poetry sung by Souleyman. Together, they commonly perform the Ataba, a traditional form of folk poetry used in Dabke. On stage, Harbi chain smokes cigarettes while standing shoulder to shoulder with Souleyman, periodically leaning over to whisper the material into his ear. Acting as a conduit, Souleyman struts into the audience with urgency, vocalizing the prose in song before returning for the next verse.
Sublime Frequencies is honored to present the Western debut of Omar Souleyman with this retrospective disc of studio and live recordings spanning 12 years of his career, culled from cassettes recorded between 1994 and 2006. This collection offers a rare glimpse into Syrian street-level folk-pop and Dabke-- a phenomena seldom heard in the West, not previously deemed serious enough for export by the Syrians and rarely, if ever, included on the import agenda of worldwide academic musical committees.
CD available at: www.sublimefrequencies.com
Standard YouTube License
- 50 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 8:19 Omar Souleyman in HD, Live at the Montreal International Jazz Festival 2010by Louay JabryFeatured 51,900
- 8:43 Omar Souleyman ~ "Mendal"~ Winnipeg Folk Festival 2011by windeddy 126,020 views
- 6:29 احمد العكيدي - ميت و ميت - طرب الشام.by 6rbsham1 1,347,406 views
- 6:20 أسمر Omar Suleyman by www.dilovan88.de.toby TheDilovan88 27,291 views
- 6:12 Omar Souleyman Live Glastonbury 2011 Part 2by June Grant 17,439 views
- Omar Souleyman 476 videos31
- 6:33 ömer sılemen.flvby ahmetbaylug1 162,385 views
- 5:31 Omar Suleiman - Adnan Al Jubury [ Kurdish ]by Devleti27 61,857 views
- 4:53 MATTI SYRIE SYRIA SYRIAN دبكة سوريby SYRIANNAA 1,266,874 views
- 1:01 Syrian Singer Omer Sliman Kaschar 2009by www.haflat.nl 44,351 views
- 5:52 Omer Sliman Schammarh 2009by www.haflat.nl 106,152 views
- 4:51 Omar Souleyman Harram Germany 2010by SahdelAlHarbawi 90,553 views
- 7:57 ABUL FOZZ.by izzet güler 456,023 views
- 3:54 rabih al asmar - hawaby syrianbeyotch232 647,535 views
- 6:51 Omar Souleyman - Kaset Hanzal (Drinking from the Glass of Bitterness)by vitanovision's channel 18,198 views
- 4:31 Ali Al Deek-Aloushby Kanaal van appie13 1,304,750 views
- 5:24 Omar Souleyman - Germany 2012 عمر سليمان في المانيا by Dilocan.netby DilocanVideo 110,076 views
- 4:53 xatababy karwan barzingy 71,888 views
- 7:23 Syria Dabke - Partyby bechman 173,037 views
- 3:37 Valentine Party in Syria - Yaba Yaba Laby eaglefromsyria 1,334,490 views
- 3:54 Sarya al sawas syrian dabke syria syrie folk dance dabke(bas esma3 meni)by syrian dabke syria arab sarya sawas ft da3our 658,364 views
- Loading more suggestions...