Utah Jazz vs Memphis Grizzles B98.7 David Locke Gets REALLY Excited
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 14, 2012
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Poconos, PA -- (10:45pm) A friend, my wife, and I were spending our Saturday night tiling the kitchen floor of our house. I had been tracking scores on ESPN's Scorecenter app all evening. With a puny $12 7pt 3-team teaser alive, and only Memphis -2.5 vs Utah standing in my way of the humungous $10 profit, I turned to the TuneIn app on my iPhone to hear the closing minutes of the Grizzlies-Jazz game on Utah's B98.7FM. The Grizzlies and Jazz were battling, back and forth. 2 point game, 5 point game; it was intense for all parties involved. Then as the minutes were winding down it happened. Radio gold of the likes I have never heard before. As a one time employee of ESPN and intern at WFAN 660 in NY, I knew what we had just heard was an amazing piece of broadcasting. 1:20 left in the game and we hear on my iPhone David Locke give one of the most passionate, lose your mind play by play calls as Derrick Favors missed a layup that could have led to a different outcome for the home announcer's Jazz team. With that play over, and the seconds dwindling down I secured my puny monetary victory but it paled in comparison to the fun I would have sharing Locke's call with the world.
Since the TuneIn app is like a DVR I was able to rewind it to the point of Locke's incredible announce. I thought quickly and used my wife's Blackberry to record the audio using the Voice Notes application. I then visited Utah's B98.7 website and zoomed in on their logo. Then using my iPhone camera I recorded the audio while filming the logo as to credit the source. It took 7 or 8 takes due to audio quality and video glitches. Finally, I had my video clip. I proceeded to upload the clip to my youtube account which till that point garnered a total of about 15 views from family and friends of things such as cats being high on catnip and old family videos.
Then using, in my opinion, the best social networking tool invented thus far, Twitter, I (@RyanWolinsky) tweeted the video clip and mentioned the Sports Biz guru @DarrenRovell in the tweet. As a follower of Rovell, I know his tastes and what his audience likes so I thought he would be the best person to share it with given the goal of reaching the widest audience. Success! Within minutes Rovell retweeted my link crediting me as his source. 20 minutes later it was brought to our attention that the man on the mic was David Locke as he replied to our tweets with the infamous words: "I am not well and care a little too much."
The next day saw the clip circulate around the sports world via YouTube, Twitter, and parts unknown. Over 3000 views by Monday morning. While listening to Mike and Mike in the Morning on 1050 ESPN Radio I heard them bantering about the play by play call made by Locke. They were dissecting the sounds that could not be perceived as words. At the end of their show they had the man, David Locke, on their airwaves to discuss the clip and his announcing. Interview can be heard here: http://bit.ly/HHSxKd
About an hour later as I was running an errand I received a direct message from David Locke via Twitter. He thanked me for sending his lunacy out to the world and offered me 2 tickets to that evening's Jazz game. Unfortunately for me, I live in NYC and was unable to take him up on his generous offer. Hopefully when the Jazz visit MSG next season I can shake hands with the man who gave me some minor Social Networking Klout.
Thanks for viewing!
Wife's Twitter: @icraveartwear
Standard YouTube License
- 1:11 Delonte West gives Gordon Hayward a "Wet Willie"by KSL5SportsFeatured 773,381
- 2:10:56 Michael Jordan - The Greatest Game (14-06-1998)by MichaelJordan Gibran 38,660 views
- 2:57 Utah Jazz Million Dollar Shotby MrCmb45 1,415,607 views
- 0:33 David Locke, Jazz announcerby ConsequentialLunch 4,238 views
- 3:27 Top 10 memorable sports announcer momentsby maywest86 308,329 views
- 9:57 Sports Announcer Fail (Compilation)by tytsports 12,542 views
- 3:02 Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN taking about announcer David Locke going crazyby hatcher2262 3,239 views
- 10:50 3rd period brawl. Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers 4/15/12 NHL Hockeyby Fred Murtz 119,386 views
- 2:14 Crazy Announcer Calls Craziest End to Basketball Gameby Nariaki74 122,007 views
- 2:56 Best Playoff Buzzer Beaters - NBA All-Decadeby fastbreak777 2,474,381 views
- 1:39 Uhhh...what did she just say?? Miss Teen South Carolina 2007by Fishbone4u 18,850,812 views
- 0:37 Drunk Red Sox fan gets absolutely leveled, 5/2/11by Tom Crosby 640,322 views
- 2:11 Texas Ranger's Broadcaster has On-Air "migraine" or "stroke" Speaks Nonsense Gibberishby slewofdamascus 32,099 views
- 0:25 U-15 Player Scores Incredible Goalby ESPN 1,910,983 views
- 2:07 Paul Millsap 11 points in 28 seconds vs. Heatby memoismoney 351,258 views
- 0:25 Epic Fail Live News Blooper (i am Stupid)by videozonk3r 47,516 views
- 5:28 1998 NBA Finals - Utah Jazz Vs. Chicago Bulls - Game 6by inventoryking 1,790,887 views
- 3:31 While My Guitar Gently Weeps - David Locke - George Harrison - Egnater Rebel 20by Dave Locke 16,574 views
- 0:26 Steve Kerr hits the 1997 shot for the Chicago Bulls' fifth NBA titleby ErniePaulGeorge 9,128 views
- 0:40 Pitch Invader gets taken down by Olly Barkley at Sale Sharks v Bathby dunc wise 933,653 views
- Loading more suggestions...