Bach, "Little" Fugue (G minor, BWV 578)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2007
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for this video
To download this video or make a contribution to support this project:
Q: Where can I get the sheet music for this piece?
A: Here are a few places:
Q: Is there a version for piano?
A: Here's an arrangement I made:
and here is one of Olga Samaroff's arrangements
(much better than mine)
Q: What is the BWV number for this piece?
Q: Where can I download a good version of this?
A: If you sign up for a Vimeo account (free), you can download the .m4v (QuickTime) original of this (the one I uploaded to YouTube); this can be played on your computer, or a video iPod; here's the link:
Q: What instrument is that?
A: The instrument here is a Post fortepiano (a sampled instrument), used as a pedal piano.
Q: I'd rather hear it on the organ.
A: YouTube contributor TheAPAnderson has posted a version:
Q: Pedal piano!?! What the **** is that?
A: It's a piano with a pedalboard, like an organ. If you want to know more about this, the Wikipedia article is good
and this company is actually making them (if seeing these pictures doesn't make you want one, you're either not a pianist or not an organist):
Q: Who is performing?
A: This rendition isn't exactly a performance in the traditional sense; it was done by Stephen Malinowski (smalin, me) using the conductor program; you can read more about that here:
Q: What do the colors in the bar-graph score mean?
A: The colors show which "voice" is playing.
Q: Why are there two lines an octave apart in the bass?
A: In organ music, the parts are often doubled with pitches that are higher than the notated pitch. In addition, the lowest part, played by the pedals, is sometimes doubled an octave lower. When parts are doubled, you tend to hear the lowest pitch, so in the bass part, there was the question: should I show the notated pitch or the pitch you hear? I decided to show both.
Q: Is there a way I could make the bar-graph scores myself?
A: The Music Animation Machine MIDI file player will generate this display; you can get the (Windows) software here:
There are lots of places on the web where you can get MIDI files; I usually go to the Classical Archives site first:
Q: Could you please do a MAM video of _________?
A: Please see:
Standard YouTube License
Johann Sebastian Bach
- 42 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 8:34 Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organby smalinFeatured 19,826,675
- 12:37 Bach, Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 582by smalin 161,789 views
- J. S. Bach-Stiftung 54 videos5K
- 13:34 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 2nd movement (complete), Molto vivace, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 1,487,612 views
- 4:14 Bach, Double Violin Concerto in D Minor, 3rd mvt. BWV 1043by smalin 42,155 views
- 7:39 Mozart, Requiemby smalin 210,820 views
- 42:00 Four Seasons ~ Vivaldiby Evan Bennet 19,760,008 views
- 5:16 Bach, Air ("on the G string", string orchestra)by smalin 5,159,695 views
- 7:58 Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor, first movementby smalin 1,319,683 views
- 3:37 Vivaldi, Winter, Four Seasons (Allegro), with animated scoreby smalin 1,622,510 views
- 43:32 Brahms : Violin Concerto in D major op.77by jfkd86 915,678 views
- 21 videos Play all orgue piano toccataby Orguedu22
- 5:33 Bach, Brandenburg Concerto #3, First Movement, Allegroby smalin 778,193 views
- 3:58 Chopin, Nocturne in E-flat Major, opus 9 no.2, Piano Solo (animated score)by smalin 974,840 views
- 3:24 Bach, Double Violin Concerto in D Minor, 1st mvt. BWV 1043by smalin 76,872 views
- 8:17 Canadian Brass - "Toccata and Fugue in d minor" - J. S. Bachby Canadian Brass 367,321 views
- 3:08 Bach, Contrapunctus 9, Art of Fugue (Kunst der Fuge)by smalin 444,711 views
- 4:43 Bach, Fugue 20 in A minor, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I, BWV 865by smalin 145,265 views
- 4:51 Pachelbel, Canon in D (1 of 3), performed by Voices of Musicby smalin 913,980 views
- 3:36 Bach, Violin Concerto in A minor, Lara St. John, 1st mvt., BWV 1041by smalin 69,788 views
- 2:10:30 Yo-Yo Ma - Bach, Cello Suitesby messer citraz 2,599,958 views
- 4:08 Beethoven - Für Elise (piano solo)by smalin 4,717,432 views
- Loading more suggestions...