An easy, fun and delicious way to use a garden staple: zucchini. These "boats" are stuffed with a mixture of Italian sausage, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and onions, then topped with mozzarella cheese. Ingredients: 2 medium zucchini, each cut in half lengthwise 6 ounces Italian sausage (We used 12 ounces) 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (Baby Bella) 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 can (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano, drained Pepper to taste 1 cup panko bread crumbs 1 egg or 1/4 cup Egg substitute 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) Directions: 1.Get those coals burning medium hot. (375-425 F)
2. Yell at the neighbor's dog
3. Scoop pulp from each zucchini half creating a "boat", leaving 1/4-inch shells and reserving pulp. Place shells cut-side down over indirect heat 8-10 minutes or until shells begin to soften slightly. Remove "boats" from the grill and set aside.
4. Cook sausage in your black iron skillet over direct heat until browned and crumbled. Remove sausage from skillet; set aside.
5. Cook onion, mushrooms, reserved zucchini, thyme and red pepper flakes (if you choose) in skillet about 5 minutes or until onion, mushrooms and zucchini are lightly browned and softened. Stir in drained tomatoes, cooked sausage and bread crumbs, add pepper to taste. Remove from heat, cool about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in egg or egg substitute. Spoon filling into zucchini shells. Sprinkle with cheese.