BREAKING: Locking You Up For Unlocking Your Phone? White House Responds to 114,000 Consumer Petition
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 4, 2013
Watch additional 10-minute interview with Derek Khanna on Democracy Now! today at http://owl.li/ikYT2. The White House called Derek Khanna just hours after his appearance on Democracy Now! to say it's coming out against the cellphone unlocking ban, which can subject users to up to five years in prison. Khanna talks to Amy Goodman minutes after receiving the call from David Edelman, White House senior advisor on Internet policy. Khanna helped spearhead an online petition against the ban, which has drawn more than 114,000 signatures, gathering wide support from several political corners and prompting an investigation by the Federal Communications Commission.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Derek Khanna, you were just on Democracy Now! talking about the penalty you could face for unlocking a cellphone.
*DEREK KHANNA:* Yes, yes.
*AMY GOODMAN:* You just got a call from the White House.
*DEREK KHANNA:* Yes.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Can you explain, first, what unlocking a cellphone means, and what they said?
*DEREK KHANNA:* Sure. So, unlocking your cellphone is a pretty simple technique where you hook your phone to a computer and change some settings on the device to allow for you to use a SIM card from another provider. It's actually a pretty simple technique used by a lot of people, including international travelers and our soldiers overseas.
So we were launching a, we had a website petition with We the People for the White House's website. And our petition got over 100,000 signatures.
And I just got a phone call from the White House, and the White House has come out in favor of reversing the decision of the librarian of Congress to make unlocking your cellphone for personal use lawful. Additionally, I was told that the FCC is seriously going to be investigating the unlocking issue, and as well as competition in the wireless industry in general.
And lastly, and perhaps most importantly to me, I was told that the White House will be spearheading their own legislation to permanently fix this issue, to create permanent exceptions to the DMCA [Digital Millennium Copyright Act] through law. As they said on the phone, they found the situation to be quite outrageous and had been reading the articles quite closely.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Who called you?
*DEREK KHANNA:* It was a friend of mine who works in the technology department of the White House. I think it's Office of Technology.
*DAVID ISENBERG:* Who was it? Mike Stebbins?
*DEREK KHANNA:* I think it's Michael Edelman [David Edelman], is his name.
*AMY GOODMAN:* And how did they know that you were working on this issue?
*DEREK KHANNA:* Well, this is an issue that I've been engaged with for some time. I wrote about four issues on this, including the leading one in _The Atlantic_. I had emailed with the White House back and forth to let them know that this was going on, to see if this was something they wanted to weigh in on. So this is something that I've been trying to build as broad a coalition as possible on.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Can you explain exactly what unlocking a cellphone means?
*DEREK KHANNA:* Sure. So unlocking your phone allows for you to use a SIM card from another provider. So you can pop a SIM card out if you have an AT&T phone, and then you can use a SIM card for perhaps a T-Mobile phone. So it's a very common and simple technique that basically means that you alter the settings on the phone.
*AMY GOODMAN:* And what were the penalties that you faced for doing this? And how did it end up happening that you actually could go to jail for five years for doing this? How is it dealt with in other countries?
*DEREK KHANNA:* Well, as far as I'm aware, we're the only country that has such a crazy law. In Canada, for example, they require all their phones to be unlocked by law. In our country, it's against the law to unlock the phone. So quite?
*AMY GOODMAN:* And you can get locked up.
*DEREK KHANNA:* Exactly. So you can go to jail for five years or a half-a-million-dollar fine, which is a pretty crazy situation.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Anything else you want to add?
*DEREK KHANNA:* I just want to thank you for having me on the show this morning. I'm sure going on _Democracy Now!_ and getting a phone call from the White House 12 hours later is a common occurrence.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Twelve? I thought it was three.
*DEREK KHANNA:* Three hours later. Three hours later.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Thanks so much.
*DEREK KHANNA:* Thank you.
*AMY GOODMAN:* Derek Khanna. And Derek, your organization is?
*DEREK KHANNA:* I'm a visiting fellow with Yale Law School, and I have a new website, fixcopyright.com.
Democracy Now!, an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on 1,100+ TV and radio stations Monday through Friday.
Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today, visit http://www.democracynow.org/donate/YT
Standard YouTube License
- 5:12 Poll: Bagels for Democrats, Donuts for Republicansby The Young Turks Featured 30,352
- 10:26 Pandora's Lunchbox: Pulling Back the Curtain On How Processed Food Took Over the American Mealby democracynow5,203 views
- 11:50 Glenn Greenwald on Bradley Manning: Prosecutor Overreach Could Turn All Whistleblowing Into Treasonby democracynow2,541 views
- 10:38 5 Years in Jail for Unlocking a Phone? Petition Led by Former GOP Staffer Prompts Probe of New Banby democracynow1,382 views
- 18:26 Salt Sugar Fat: NY Times Reporter Michael Moss on How the Food Giants Hooked America on Junk Foodby democracynow15,591 views
- 1:03:52 Paris - Nice 2013 Stage 1 Part 2by Chris Archibald1,996 views
- 17:51 Should You Go to Jail for Unlocking Your Phone?by ReasonTV104,679 views
- 52:04 The Myth of the "Clash of Civilizations". Edward Saidby Palestine Diary27,879 views
- 9:54 India orders 145 artillery guns from US firmby IBNLive15,959 views
- 3:41 Terrifying Huge Lamprey Pulled From Riverby The Young Turks428,963 views
- 7:41 How to Unlock iPhones for FREE | FreeUnlocks.comby freeunlocks88,411 views
- 7:04 Glenn Greenwald: Obama's Comments on Bradley Manning Mark Amazing "Improper Influence" in Caseby mediagrrl91,626 views
- 5:02 Cell phone unlocking illegal law DMCA misinformationby Ryan Carlson1,051 views
- 5:42 How To Unlock a Samsung Galaxy - It works 100% for any Samsung phoneby UnlockRiver.com188,016 views
- 4:20 Queen Invisible Man behind the scenesby LoveTeady12,085 views
- 4:10 Unlock any nokia phone freeby Yamen Jarai262,507 views
- 6:16 Next Generation Mobile Phones Nanotechnologyby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,843,884 views
- 8:46 THE NET10 ANDROID PHONESby rodwell3712,579 views
- 1:33 How To Unlock A Car Door With Any Mobile Phone / Cellphone !!!by john anderson103,085 views
- 3:08 Unlocking Phones is Now Illegal - Fight Back!by brianvidguy5,131 views
- Loading more suggestions...