[SFM]Smile! Smile! Smile!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 30, 2013
PLEASE EXPAND THE DESCRIPTION FOR SOME FAQ TYPE INFO (most at the bottom)
People need to stop using "uncanny valley'' so loosely. It applies to humanized robots, CG characters, masks etc... that look almost HUMAN, but not perfect..... Not ponies that look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like their real counterpart, and they definitely dont look human. Google it. or vsauce it. I dont care, just reseach it and realize what it is truly talking about. And stop using it to describe a CG cartoon of horses. If this creeps you out, fine.. not my fault, but the poor implementation of face flexes in the model itself. you and a thousand others said the same thing, so not news to me or anyone else. but its not really 'uncanny valley'.
Its starting to rustle my jimmies and I'm trying my best not to start being an ass to people.
SO ANYWAYS for those who arent weak in the stomach from a few pony polygons that dont resemble anything true to life!!!! heres the original description....
Created Entirely in Source Filmmaker, (except for some post in After Effects) I've recreated nearly frame by frame the original song with 3D characters.
I started March 1st and finished it about 25 days later putting most all of my extra time every day into it.
You may notice half-way through the video, the character models get an upgrade. That's when I found Poninnahka's re designed models. Unfortunately I could not replace the original models with the new ones without re-animating each shot due to different skeleton structures.
Quick shoutout to www.equestriaforums.com for letting me post a few progress updates throughout the month. Check them out
Featured on Equestria Daily:
Honorable Mention List for March 2013 Top Videos:
Watch it side by side with original:
Main Models Used:
Pony Overhaul by Poninnahka
Pinkie Pie Playset (includes the Sugarcube Corner House and several props):
A few answers to questions and concerns from the comments:
First and foremost - I'm just an animator and I'm only one person. I left things out and have mistakes. I dont have a team telling me whats missing and what needs fixed. I did not CREATE ANYTHING in this video. (except the fail brush missing a texture) I merely give them movement. I used only what I could find at the time.
So question: "That pony around 22 seconds texture is wrong"
Answer: Its technically not "wrong", I just didnt retexture the template ponies. They came with the model pack listed in the description for the old models. They are for people to create their own characters. There are multiple instances of the template pony with different hairstyle throughout the video. All gray with blue hair. My excuse for not retexturing was just laziness. I honestly dont have a better one.
Q: "Everyone lives in Sugarcube Corner?"
A: Yes. Yes they do. Everyone loves cupcakes. But really, its the only ponyville themed house as detailed as that. I Looked at the ponyville map made for gmod and sfm and something about it just didnt sit right with what I wanted...
Q: "Why do I see certain ponies where they shouldnt be? Like Sweetiebell in the window with Berrypunch"
A: This should be a recurring theme you should catch on to. Additional models for every character just dont exist. The ONLY child models I could find were the CMC w/Babseed. I chose sweetie bell for that.
Q: "Why arent the steps in sync with the music?"
A: I never even noticed it until pretty late, when it was pretty obvious too. Every single Walkcycle in the video is an exact copy. I made one cycle and reused it over and over. Quick and Painless.
Q: "are you going to make another one?"
A: Yes, Im working on it, it takes time, these things:
http://youtu.be/io5wDGZTXDc - soon™
This is more of people just pointing out:
"This is creepy" (oh that sounds familiar....)
A: Different tastes for different people. In the end I like this style the most. Theres really not much else I can do. Get over it.
"The models look twisted and tortured at times..."
A: Limitation of the model. Nothing I could do. I cant twist, bend and pull the mesh to smooth things out perfectly. If something bends improperly it casts a weird shadow.
"I see Mic the Microphone, Tombstone, ...etc"
A: I needed every finished model I could find and that included these. They are in no way involved.
"Theres no confetti or sun or lensflare"
A: Oops. I rushed myself too much just to get this out.
"Trixie has a hat and cape one second and nothing the next"
A: Another Oops. Things happen.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:45 The GMod Idiot Box: Episode 12by DasBoSchitt Featured 471,053
- 41:26 "The Crystal Empire" MLP: FiM S3 E1 & E2by Sid Tucker643,453 views
- 1:19:54 All Songs from MLP: FiM Seasons 1, 2, 3 and Equestria Girls [1080p]by Dashie313,979,171 views
- 21:52 MLP FIM Season 4 Episode 4 Daring Don't HDby MLP Gallery48,461 views
- 21:52 My Little Pony S04E04 1080p HDby iPonyApp3181,313 views
- 14:21 Snowdropby Silly Filly Studios2,629,172 views
- 22:05 "A Dog and Pony Show" MLP: FiM S01 E19by Sid Tucker872,865 views
- 4:21 Children of the Nightby Duo Cartoonist3,775,988 views
- 3:24 MLP FIM Smile song Original Vs SFM [Nutrafin Version]by hoosierbrony609,823 views
- 19:04 The Union of the Elements of Insanity (10,000+ Subscribers!)by TheInvertedShadow987,032 views
- 40:06 PONY.MOV Movieby voltrodeath31,921,376 views
- 0:35 My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Intro Recreated in Source Filmmaker Comparison Videoby GCTuba273,441 views
- 3:16 DISCORD [Kinetic Typography]by MrDeLoop550,602 views
- 1:23:09 Mon petit poney - Le film (1986) en Françaisby FriendlyParasprite172,217 views
- 0:40 Flight School: Day 1by Nutrafin85,644 views
- 5:19 MLP FiM - Okey-Dokey-Lokey! - Multi Languageby Pluszcz24,143 views
- 1:01 [Source Filmmaker] [Pony] The Gypsy Bard - Comparison Videoby GCTuba306,098 views
- 12:08 The Top Ten Pony Videos of August 2013by JHaller1,019,014 views
- 21:59 MLP FiM Season 4 Predictionsby TheDavoo387,559 views
- 4:45 I Am Octavia [SFM]by Subtractitor175,669 views
- Loading more suggestions...