US President backs possible surveillance reforms in the wake of NSA controversy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 10, 2013
US President Barack Obama says he would embrace reforms to oversee NSA surveillance programmes,...
euronews, the most watched news channel in Europe
Subscribe for your daily dose of international news, curated and explained:http://eurone.ws/10ZCK4a
Euronews is available in 13 other languages: http://eurone.ws/17moBCU
US President Barack Obama says he would embrace reforms to oversee NSA surveillance programmes, which have caused controversy since details were leaked by former NSA-contractor Edward Snowden. The President has been facing criticism even from within his own party.
"We can and must be more transparent," Obama told reporters.
"To other around the world, I wanna make clear - once again - that America is not interested in spying on ordinary people. Our intelligence is focused above all on finding the information that is necessary to protect our people and in many cases to protect our allies," The President added.
Obama also said he does not believe that Snowden, who has been granted asylum in Russia, is a patriot.
Snowden is still wanted in the US to face espionage charges.
Meanwhile the email service-provider reportedly used by the ex-contractor has gone offline. It is believed the Lavabit shutdown is in connection with an attempt by the US government to obtain customer information.
In addition to protests against the NSA programmes in a number of countries, a survey by American news network ABC and the Washington Post shows the number of Americans
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 0:53 U.S. orders evacuation of diplomats from consulate in Lahoreby euronews (in English)7,067 views
- 1:01 US embassies to reopen after terror scareby euronews (in English)2,492 views
- 0:49 26 Police officers injured in Northern Ireland violenceby euronews (in English)3,561 views
- 1:25 Switzerland town accused of 'apartheid' over planned restrictions on asylum-seekersby euronews (in English)3,471 views
- 30:33 100 Questions and Answers for the Naturalization Test (in HD) 2013by AndreiN237,563 views
- 52:21 Complete Obama Press Conference on NSA Surveillance, Snowden & US-Russia Relations - August 9, 2013by martysoffice11,206 views
- 10:12 UFO Sightings Whistle Blower Snowden New Leak Aliens Inhabit Earth? Special Report 2013by thirdphaseofmoon249,538 views
- 1:28:40 NSA Surveillance Leaks: Facts and Fictionby Newseum2,219 views
- 46:26 Inside NSA - The National Security Agency - Documentaryby Francis Hector25,137 views
- 48:05 Glenn Greenwald on Domestic Surveillance: NSA Warrantless Wiretapping Controversy (2006)by The Film Archive2,779 views
- 31:23 SHOCKING: OBAMA INTENDS TO COLLAPSE US ECONOMY - EXCLUSIVE - Ann Barnhardtby FinanceAndLiberty35,506 views
- 17:28 Wake Up Call 2013 PART 2: The New World Orderby Jason A125,173 views
- 12:35 NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things'by Kevin M. Gallagher2,566,391 views
- 1:35:58 Introduction to Digital Surveillance Systemsby Eli the Computer Guy79,935 views
- 8:58 Activists Protest Government Surveillance, NSA on July 4, 2013: Restore the Fourth Amendmentby WeAreTheSavageNation2,114 views
- 48:15 Does the NSA Record Phone Calls? Glenn Greenwald on Warrentless Domestic Surveillance (2007)by The Film Archives830 views
- 45:16 The Presidents of the United States: Episode 5 - 1885-1913 (History Documentary)by AmericaHistoryBuff4,929 views
- 45:14 The Presidents of the United States: Episode 1 - 1789-1825 (History Documentary)by AmericaHistoryBuff14,079 views
- 10:33 El Presidente de USA su Avion, Helicoptero y Autoby TemasInteresantes185,784 views
- 1:33 Sean Hannity FIRED from FOX News!!! #N3by NextNewsNetwork214,974 views
- Loading more suggestions...